HP 5SI Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer who just bought an old HP 5si Printer, and is having some problems.

1 - The driver from the internet which he downloaded is not working correctly with Windows XP - is it possible that this printer doesn't support XP?

2 - It has an ethernet card inside it, can we attach it to a peer-to-peer networking using this port/connection to communicate with it?

This printer will work with Windows XP - what problem is your customer having the driver? See HP Drivers and make sure they have downloaded the correct one.

I am not fimilar with this specific printer so I am not sure if the peer-peer will work, hopefully someone else can jump in on this to help.

CBH said:
This printer will work with Windows XP - what problem is your customer having the driver? See HP Drivers and make sure they have downloaded the correct one.

I am not fimilar with this specific printer so I am not sure if the peer-peer will work, hopefully someone else can jump in on this to help.

I have a funny feeling that it will require a File Server to operate... according to my hunches from others... if anyone has the answer please advise.

Also, on a final note... my customer tried attaching the printer up by converting a connection to USB and it failed horriby - probably because it's a network printer and not a USB one.

I am open to hear your comments about the network issue.

If it's a network printer then it will operate on any ethernet - hubbed, switched, crossover, anything.

"not working" is not a valid expression. Please try to get more information.
In Windows, you have to install true network printers as local printers (god bless Microsoft) attached to a TCP/IP or a "local" port.

Nodsu said:
If it's a network printer then it will operate on any ethernet - hubbed, switched, crossover, anything.

"not working" is not a valid expression. Please try to get more information.
In Windows, you have to install true network printers as local printers (god bless Microsoft) attached to a TCP/IP or a "local" port.

Even if they have a peer-to-peer network and already at five computers, which computer do I install the Administrator software onto?

I'm pretty sure the administrative program is not needed to print. Of course, if you want to use it anyway, then any computer attached to the same network as the printer will do. You can also install the thing on all the computers or only some of them..

Hi NODSU-

I attached the printer up with a D-LINK DSS-5+ switch and a 50 Ft. RJ-45 cable to the peer-to-peer network and the printer is being seen on the network at a physical static IP address of 192.168.0.110 and subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 and the network see's the printer just fine... however, the printer driver can not address the printer at all... the switch is yellow flashing yellow which indicates that it isn't communicating with the printer.

I downloaded and installed an HP Management software tool, a very small program and it also see's the IP address of the printer. But, unfortunately it still doesn't print.

Is the JetDirect adapter which is installed in the printer require an interface software in order to communicate with it? For I can't find it anywhere on HP's web site? Any suggestions would be most helpful if you have any suggestions as to what steps next to take on this scenario...we're so close can also smell the coffee.

Thanks!

JetDirect is built in to Windows 2000 and XP. It is called the "Standard TCP/IP port". As I said, you install a local printer and create the port pointing to the printer's IP.

Your printer may also support other protocols in addition to JetDirect, namely LPR and SMB. A port scan of the printer should reveal those. LPR is built into 2k/XP too (under the standard TCP/IP port also, just change a setting) and SMB is supported by Windows 95 and above of course.

Nodsu said:
JetDirect is built in to Windows 2000 and XP. It is called the "Standard TCP/IP port". As I said, you install a local printer and create the port pointing to the printer's IP.

Your printer may also support other protocols in addition to JetDirect, namely LPR and SMB. A port scan of the printer should reveal those. LPR is built into 2k/XP too (under the standard TCP/IP port also, just change a setting) and SMB is supported by Windows 95 and above of course.

When I install the printer driver on the computer, I told it manually to print to an IP address... but it doesn't prompt me any place to insert an IP Address...

LPR and SMB is a menu option which pops up in the settings of addressing the IP address... I think that I set the SMB to 192.168.0.110 or 1... something like that... does that make any difference?

OK. Let's just go through the movements..

Delete any instances of the printer you have.

In printer ettings, choose to add a new printer. Make it a local printer, no need to detect anything. When asked for the port the printer is attached to, choose to create a new standard TCp/IP port. Put in the printer's IP address. When asked about your printer type and model, choose "Have disk.." and navigate where you have the printer drivers on your computer.

Open the properties of your newly installed printer, go to the Ports tab. Disable bidirectional support, configure your TCP/IP port. Make sure the SNMP status is disabled. Close the dialog windows. Print a test page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back