HP dv6000 3rd motherboard replacement, symptoms reapearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethbest

I unfortunately have a hp dv6000 series notebook. It would only load maybe 1 outa every 20 restarts, this was related to the defective nvidia gpu that would overheat and burn out. HP's extended warenty replaced the mobo once. About 6 months later video wouldnt appear, but i would get poor output to a external moniter, as long as i did not attempt to change any video settings, if i did it would black out and die.

Talked to HP they said its my problem now because even though it was defective, it was past the extended warentee, but they generously offered to replace their defective motherboard again for the price of $277. I opted to buy a refurbished one from hong kong for $70, which claimed to have fixed the issue. 3 weeks later, and 3 hours of motherboard replacement, and i had a working laptop again... for about 6 days, then it died again, this time with the one long beep and 2 short beeps post code and no display.

The ebay seller said to send it back and they'd replace it. So $30 in shipping and 5 weeks later i got another motherboard. Since i knew what i was doing this time the install took maybe 1.5 hours. Working laptop, upgraded the bios, and the gpu and first cpu core were running around 110 degrees C, so I bought a notebook cooling unit, dropped both numbers to around 90.

3 days of light use later it starts beeping at me with a dead display again. Coming back to it the next day deciding whether or not to sell it for parts it booted up fine.

I'm at a loss, its obviously showing signs of failing again, but should I just use it 'till it dies completely, or tear it out and pay another $30 if the guy will even replace it, and wait another 3 weeks, Or buy some superpowered cooling unit to replace my cheap plastic one?

I've even been using the silver thermal compound instead of ceramic, though i doubt it would make a big deal.

The only thing that i could think that might be why these new ones don't work for me, other than just the poor quality of the original product, is that its a slightly different mobo than my original, which had a geforce go 6800 and the new one has a 7200, so maybe the shells had different cooling units? but my model is listed under the supported models on the ebay sellers list.

Are the internal cooling fans working properly?... you replace the motherboard but the fans are a separate assembly. how many fans, one or two?

The fan is built into a heatsink assembly that contacts the cpu and gpu facing underneath the notebook. It appears to be only one fan that blows exhaust down and out of the back of the unit.

It operates to the extent that when it is on you can feel the the air moving out of the vents, and i've never noticed a change in its rpm, just from passive observation, though hp claims that the new bios regulates the fan rpm to correct the overheating defect.

The service manual for the dv6000 series notebook lists 2 seperate fan/heatsink units for the amd version of the dv6000 (which is the cpu that both my old motherboard and new ones have been for) one for the full-featured version and one for the defeatured version. I've not seen these terms before, but this could be involved.

"For use only with full-featured computer models
using AMD processors
For use only with defeatured computer models
using AMD processors
431449-001
431448-001"

got it, looking at pictures of the part numbers my original cooling unit has a heatsink in a different position than the "full featured" heatsink, which this new motherboard series is listed as.

Thx for the push in the right direction tmagic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back