HP laptop HDD to desktop HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey,

i hav a desktop pc with xp running on it and a samsung 80GB HDD.
i hav a dv4t HP laptop with 250 GB HDD.
i don wanna use the desktop anymore, so i want to transfer my desktop 80 GB stuffs to the LAptop.

How do i do that?
i heard that there's something called IDE cable that can do the stuff

if u need more info, tell me..

plz HELP

Yes you can do that. The best way is to make the laptop HDD becoming external as it is the easiest way. You will need to buy an external box for HDD and make the connection inside and it will be connected by USB. Thus you can take it where you want without any problem.

If you have a network... You can connect both computers on the same network, set one of the folders of the laptop to "share". So on your desktop go to my connections, view work groups, select your laptop on the network, and hopefully you'll be able to open the folder you set as "shared" from there and it's just a simple copy and paste. Note: You may have to temporarily turn off any firewalls that you are running on your laptop.

That is the quick explanation, hope it helps =3

If you have a network... You can connect both computers on the same network, set one of the folders of the laptop to "share". So on your desktop go to my connections, view work groups, select your laptop on the network, and hopefully you'll be able to open the folder you set as "shared" from there and it's just a simple copy and paste. Note: You may have to temporarily turn off any firewalls that you are running on your laptop.

That is the quick explanation, hope it helps =3

That's also is a good idea but the only problem is that if you want to take you laptop with you you won't be able to remain connected with the Desktop PC thus with the 80GB HDD...

i dont wanna open the laptop in anyway shape or form
if i have to, i can open my desktop HDD

any other way?? maybe with a crossover ethernet cable??? does it require netwrking?

simple way?? wihtout too much money spending?????

Yes you will need a crossover ethernet cable RJ45... Then you will only need to enable network and share the HDD and all will be ok.

Somtimes if you can't access you will need to configure your firewall or even disable it (depend what firewall it is) but normally only configuring will be fine

so, if that's it. can u plz tell me how to do it.....i just dont know...

p.s. I have one broadband internet connection. Do i need to use that in any way??

coud you please help step by step please?

You can go USB to USB (using USB bridge cable) two female ends with (PCA in the middle) like having a mini LAN connection
You can go LAN to LAN using a (hub, switch or crossover cable)

To use the LAN mode just connect the crossover cable to #1 - laptop the another end to #2 Desktop
On the desktop with the 80GB right click on the drive you want to share then click on sharing.. (or share and security)Then on share as give it a name old pcdrive.

Open network connections under the control panel.
Click on TCP/IP Internet connections
click on properties
click on the second tab to enter:
IP range: 192.168.100.100,
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
DG 192.168.100.100

Now on the laptop

Open network connections under the control panel.
Click on TCP/IP Internet connections
click on properties
click on the second tab to enter:
IP range: 192.168.100.101,
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
DG 192.168.100.100

click on flag - vista or start -xp
click on run
type: \\computername \C$ or \\computer name\oldpcdrive

To get the above to work right login in as the admin on both PCs using the same login and passwords.This is one way to do it.

External HDD case from old desktop to the USB to the laptop is $39 or less.

Well these are the ways to do it..

That is it tipstir have ask you all but only one thing is that it is not too recommended to make a connection with usb as you need a special cable for that purpose or you may damage your PC and laptop.

I will recommend you to do it buy ethernet(LAN) it would be fine and faster connection speed too and you will also be able to share you internet connection thus PC and laptop will have internet connection at the same time.

u said to connect the cross over cable...one end to LAPTOP and one end to DESKTOP.

2 Q's...............

1. do i connect to laptop port and another end to the LAN CARD port?
2. actually, what is this crossover cable?? how much does it cost and in wht type of store do i find it and what do i say??

guys...im in a cuntry where they don speak english, so how do i tell 'em??

sorry for being so picky picky.....but hav to get all these stuff..!

First of all your ISP won't charge you nothing more as the connection will be share between the two computers and thus when both computer will be as example at the same time the download speed will be divided for both computer.

A crossover ethernet cable is a normal ethernet cable just that the wire inside are connected differently at both end for making a start and end of cable which PC and laptop connected directly need. I won't cost more than a normal ethernet cable and you only need to go at a PC shop and you will get it.

That is it tipstir have ask you all but only one thing is that it is not too recommended to make a connection with usb as you need a special cable for that purpose or you may damage your PC and laptop.

I will recommend you to do it buy ethernet(LAN) it would be fine and faster connection speed too and you will also be able to share you internet connection thus PC and laptop will have internet connection at the same time.

I've mentioned that already PCA board is in the center of the two female ends USB 2.0 cable. Just can't use the other kind you use to extend the USB cables won't work. But I guess I'll make it clearer next time.

guys thanks
but, how do u LAN two pcs???

wont my ISP find out and charge for 2 pcs??

No but NIC network interface cards they come PCMICA for laptop, USB2.0 for laptop or desktop, PCI for a desktop which goes inside the case and PCI-E same as PCI but faster uses a different slot.

What you do in your house or dwelling is your business but that's what you'll need. PCMICA wired NIC is cheaper than the wireless, but do you have wired or wireless router? Sounds like you just have a modem connected to the PC.

Do you have ethernet slot on both desktop and laptop?

Tipstir don't you think it would be cheaper just to buy a crossover cable and connect both desktop and laptop? That's not for annoying you but just to know and to help hobilla.

in my desktop, i hav a lan card installed which has a port to which i connect the broadband 'wire'.
the laptop's supposed to hav a card right??

So you will be able to make the connection by ethernet by just connecting it by a crossover cable which you can get in a PC store not for too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back