HP's lightest consumer laptop, the Pavilion Aero 13, is an AMD exclusive that starts at...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: HP has announced its lightest consumer laptop to date. Given the recent shift in how and where people work, a lightweight laptop as a business tool is arguably more in demand now than ever.

The new HP Pavilion Aero 13 is an AMD exclusive, powered by the company’s Ryzen 7 5800U mobile processor alongside Radeon graphics. It packs a 13.3-inch display with a 2.5K resolution, a 16:10 aspect ratio, 400 nits of brightness and covers 100 percent of the sRGB spectrum. HP says its four-sided narrow bezels result in a 90 percent screen-to-body ratio.

The HP Pavilion Aero 13 is the first model in the Pavilion series to feature a full magnesium aluminum chassis, resulting in a system that weighs less than one kilogram (one kilogram is equal to roughly 2.2 pounds). It’ll be fully upgradeable to Microsoft’s new Windows 11 operating system once it becomes available, we're told.

HP said the system is made with post-consumer recycled and ocean-bound plastics, and utilizes water-based paint to reduce volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions. What’s more, the system’s retail box and packing cushions are made from 100 percent sustainably sourced and recyclable materials.

The portable PC additionally features Wi-Fi 6 connectivity and up to 10.5 hours of battery life. Further hardware details remain elusive at this hour, but we do know that it’ll be available to purchase from early July starting at $749 in your choice of pale rose gold, warm gold, ceramic white or natural silver.

Permalink to story.

My new TUF A15 laptop has that R7 5800. It's a very capable processor - but the icing on the cake is the 3050Ti inside. HP normally has very good deals on Omen laptops and hopefully they'll keep pushing the values.

When I went to buy a new laptop, I was originally looking at HP, but the best they could do was a Omen with a Core i7 - 10750H and a 1660Ti 6GB with 16GB DDR4 and 512GB SSD. If HP was offering those base RTX 3050 chips in this model here, it would be awesome.

Nice work HP.

nr0sx.jpg

Let me guess, recycled plastic and water based paint didn't stop them from soldering the RAM?

Not being able to upgrade your HW is the main reason for devices becoming e-waste. Ecoy materials are welcome, but won't substitute for upgradeability. If they can create 1kg 13-inch laptop, they can create 1,3kg 14-incher without soldered components, based on undervolted desktop APU. Until then, all eco gibberish is just marketing.

We'll have new sockets next year, have fun, HP.

Let me guess, recycled plastic and water based paint didn't stop them from soldering the RAM?

Not being able to upgrade your HW is the main reason for devices becoming e-waste. Ecoy materials are welcome, but won't substitute for upgradeability. If they can create 1kg 13-inch laptop, they can create 1,3kg 14-incher without soldered components, based on undervolted desktop APU. Until then, all eco gibberish is just marketing.

Agreed, a truly ecological laptop should be designed to be as easy to repair and upgrade as possible. This is just like when apple talks about how "green" and "socially responsible" they are while making sealed soldered macbooks with chinese slave labor.

The laptop sure looks nice. Eight cores in this form factor is quite impressive.

Agreed, a truly ecological laptop should be designed to be as easy to repair and upgrade as possible. This is just like when apple talks about how "green" and "socially responsible" they are while making sealed soldered macbooks with chinese slave labor.

Fully agree. Imho, most of the virtue signaling by companies is pure PR.

Wait until they get to apple's level, like making sure identical parts from identical devices cant be swapped.

I like. but I am still preferring Macbook. because I am loving Mac OS. Until Apple are start force app through app store and then I am buy this one.

I'm a big fan of the M1 Macbook Air, as an owner of one. But It has a design that is a bit outdated. The wedge style should have been ended years ago, and it seems like Apple plans on changing that anyways. I've been wanting apple to bring back the 12" Macbook with the new keyboard and M1. As what really liked the 12" Macbook was the Problematic Keyboard and Slow Intel Core M chips.

AMD makes a better mobile chip, if only we could get high quality builds that use them. No doubt gets the short end of the stick using high density ram, budget ssds, and outdated IO selection. I can see a HP power port, should only be USB-C for power on a modern ultrabook style of laptop.

Looks like a great laptop but hampered by windows. Unless you need windows an iPad Pro or a MacBook Air will be faster, quieter and easier to use for most home users. Windows really needs to sort itself out. I had to use windows power shell to fix the Xbox app on my desktop just yesterday after the app itself prompted me to do it and then gave me instructions on how to do it manually rather than having a comprehensive fix. Windows users are always delving into the settings, or fixing something manually, or manually updating software, wrestling with MS constant requests to reboot your system. The idea that this laptop will be “shut down” between use is old fashioned, as is having gimped performance when using battery. It’s 2021, it doesn’t have to be this way.

Back