HTC infographic pokes fun at Nokia's PureView camera technology

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HTC is planning to unveil a new flagship smartphone later this month. Known as the M7, it is expected to be the first Android smartphone to use pixel oversampling technology – or some variant of it. In preparation for the announcement, the company recently authored a blog post promising a new camera experience for 2013.

The blog post in question is little more than an infographic, highlighting the history of photography from the 1839 Daguerreotype through modern-day smartphone cameras, conveniently ending with Nokia’s 808 PureView handset.

htc nokia pureview camera phone

If you are unfamiliar, Nokia’s shooter debuted last year with a 41-megapixel sensor which unsurprisingly received mixed reviews from reviewers and photography experts. HTC leverages this criticism by quoting a Gizmodo reviewer when he (correctly) said megapixels don’t matter.

Most believe that the HTC M7 will feature a new image technology known as ultrapixels. This marketing term simply means that the camera will have three 4.3-megapixel layers that will be used together for pixel oversampling. No word yet on any of the other hardware specifications, however.

The company is holding a simultaneous media event on February 19 in New York and London where they are expected to unveil the new handset. It goes without saying that HTC is hopeful that the M7 will be able to compete with flagship smartphones from Apple and especially Samsung. It’s no surprise that the once booming handset maker has struggled to remain a key player over the past couple of years.

Permalink to story.

I don't get it, HTC makes awesome phones yet they don't sell well. I am currently using the HTC evor 4g lte and couldn't be any more happy with it.

Well, taking a jab at Nokia's PureView can surely be done easily; Just post a photo of a van & a studio gear camera... (Look it up if you have not heard, Nokia where caught with their pants down as saying pictures taken with their phones when infact very high-end studio gear was used instead)

But bashing it for the megapixel count is just lame, it's a fantastic camera phone with the largest CCD sensor bar none that has ever been released.
Even dpreview gave it a good rating! http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8083837371/review-nokia-808-pureview

I feel like those saying "pixels don't matter" are just regurgitating what they've seen others post. Nokia is actually trying to do something different with those pixels, their purpose isn't just to ADD MOAR PIXLS!, but to use digital technology in a different way. It remains to be seen how good this can be, but it's most definitely interesting. You guys should read up on it.

Upto Sensation line, they made smartphones which felt more like bricks, however, that changed with One line. But unfortunately they always put 'barely decent' cameras on their phones at best, whereas, Nokia, generally has better track record in this area. So, unless, their new camera sensor can put out something competitive (which I am skeptical atm), Nokia may end up having a good laugh at their expense ...... again.

Back