Hyper threading questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppsssooo

if i have a P4 motherboard and it says nothing about HT can i use it? its a 3.0 GHZ p4 HT so what i wanna know is will it work?

if the motherboard and processor are HT enabled then you can take advantage of said technology, provided your operating system can handle it. you gave almost no useful information, btw.

Give us your motherboard brand and model and tell us what operating system you are using. Most likely it is already working on your machine if you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP. You can tell by opening task manager (CTRL + ALT +DEL) and selecting the PERFORMANCE tab.

If there are two meter for CPU Usage, your system is already HT-enabled and using it.

HT does not work and never will in Windows 98 and Windows ME.

Well besides being a HT enabled motherboard you have to have the Pent 4 "C" chip this is when HT started I believe...

i dont have a pc yet im building one mother board is a New Intel 845PE Pentium 4 Socket 478 ATX Motherboard i was wondering if HT would work on IF not the processor still works doesnt it? i hope so if not i can just sell it for more than i bought it. it will be running windows xp and this will be overclocked so i need the right ram i know this

HT will ONLY work if:

1) Your processor is HT enabled. Yours is, since there are no 3ghz P4s w/o HT
2) Your motherboard supports HT
3) HT is enabled in the bios
4) Your OS supports HT

All of those must be true before HT will work.

There are three versions of the D845PE. They are the 845PECE, 845PESV, and the 845PEBT2

*ONLY* The PEBT2 supports hyperthreading. IF the board is not a PEBT2, HT will not work.

I don't think you are understanding me here...

If you your board is not the version I mentioned, HT will not work. At all. Period. You can't use "just the processor HT". It is all, or nothing.

ok well im selling my motherboard now and i might get a ECS PT800CE-A MOTHERBOARD, PENTIUM 4 HT SUPPORT P4 or a INTEL SOCKET 478 ALI 868Pro P4 3.2GHZ HT DDR400 can any tell me which is better

ECS is crap.

There are two exceptions: The K7S5A PRO 5.5, which was a gem and one of the best motherboards ever, and the K7VTA3, which was solid. However, those are both Socket A and are aging.

Aside from that, ECS is crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back