Intel Arrow Lake-S desktop processors to ditch LP-E cores and hyper-threading, feature...

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? Intel will launch its Arrow Lake processor lineup for desktops and laptops later this year. A new leak has now revealed several interesting details about the chips, including a slightly surprising claim about the company's planned naming convention for its next-gen processor lineup.

The information comes from prolific tipster Golden Pig Upgrade (via @Olrak29_), who claims that contrary to some recent media reports, Intel's next major CPUs won't be designated as its 15th-generation Core lineup, and will instead be marketed under the "Core Ultra Series 2" branding for both desktop and mobile parts. The post, appearing on the Chinese social media site Bilibili, also confirmed that the Arrow Lake-S desktop CPUs will get rid of hyper-threading and LP-E cores, both of which are integral parts of the company's current-generation processors.

Interestingly, the LP-E cores will reportedly remain part of the Arrow Lake-H laptop processors, meaning the desktop chips are the only ones that will ditch the feature. As for the end of hyper-threading, it was rumored earlier this year as well, so that's not really a massive surprise. That said, it would still represent a massive change in Intel processors, and one that might leave many prospective customers disappointed.

Moving on, the tipster also revealed some information about the integrated graphics chips in the upcoming processors. According to the post, the Arrow Lake-S desktop CPUs will only include 4 Xe-cores, which is half of the 8 Xe-cores found on the Meteor Lake chips. The report goes on to claim that because of the low number of graphics cores, Intel will market the iGPU in Arrow Lake-S as Intel Graphics instead of designating them as Arc Graphics.

The post also discusses some details about the core configuration and process nodes for specific SKUs in the Arrow Lake lineup. On the desktop side, there will apparently be a single 6+8 core CPU built on the Intel 20A process node, while the rest will be from TSMC. The aforementioned 14-core chip is said to be a non-K part and will be sold under the Core Ultra 5 2xx series.

Finally, the report also reveals that Arrow Lake will be DDR5-only, and won't support DDR4 memory either in desktops or laptops.

Permalink to story.

No HT and E-Cores with increased cache AND made on TSMC 3nm? Sounds very promising.
I intend to replace a 5800X3D late this year. It will be Arrow Lake or Zen 5.

People in for a rude shock when they see how low the Arrow Lake S clocks are. We are looking at 1GHz regression in maximum clocks.

Why would people care about clockspeed if performance is present. Anyway, you don't know anything about the clockspeed. Engineering samples always run lower clocks.

AMD is about to lose their process advantage, thats what happening.

Both Nvidia and Intel jumps directly to 3nm TSMC when AMD might use 4nm TSMC for Zen 5. Lets hope not.

If true, AMD is in trouble, they need 3nm too, or they won't be able to compete and price drops is their only hope.

Lets see if Intel or AMD gets my money in Q4. My 5800X3D needs replacing, since my 4090 is bottlenecked in several games, not too much but still.

And 5090/5080 will be bought in early 2025. Selling my 4090 when it hits the 2 year mark in early Q4, going on a long vacation to asia, and buying Blackwell when I return. Perfect plan.

Paid 1500 on release for my 4090, I bet I am getting at least 1000 back.

Last edited:
Why would people care about clockspeed if performance is present. Anyway, you don't know anything about the clockspeed. Engineering samples always run lower clocks.

AMD is about to lose their process advantage, thats what happening.

Both Nvidia and Intel jumps directly to 3nm TSMC when AMD might use 4nm TSMC for Zen 5. Lets hope not.

If true, AMD is in trouble, they need 3nm too, or they won't be able to compete and price drops is their only hope.

Lets see if Intel or AMD gets my money in Q4. My 5800X3D needs replacing, since my 4090 is bottlenecked in several games, not too much but still.

And 5090/5080 will be bought in early 2025. Selling my 4090 when it hits the 2 year mark in early Q4, going on a long vacation to asia, and buying Blackwell when I return. Perfect plan.

Paid 1500 on release for my 4090, I bet I am getting at least 1000 back.

AMD is in trouble. LOL thanks for the laugh.

Where is source for that claim (RX7000 series worst selling...)? Not in that article. Don't believe every BS those amateurs write.
In the same link. And Steam HW Survey shows the same picture.

AMD GPU owners are in full denial tho.

Where? Show me.

No, declining market share alone does not proof anything about RX7000-series.
You need help?

Lets hope AMD can re-grab marketshare with Radeon 8000 series even tho they won't have any high-end stuff... Not a problem tho, since high-end is a niche market for AMD.

AMDs most popular dGPU on Steam is RX 580 from 2017 :joy: Everything above this GPU is iGPUs.

Instead of trying to re-grab marketshare while Nvidia has full focus on AI, AMD wants to do AI as well, even tho they are many years behind.

I guess Intel and AMD can fight over low to mid-end going forward.

5090 and 5080 will be out in Q4 this year and AMD will have absolutely nothing to compete with them. If we are lucky, AMD will be able to compete with 5070 series in 2025 or 2026.

Last edited:
You need help?

Yes, I need. I give example, numbers are random.

AMD sales Q3/2023:

5K series: 500K
7K series: 500K

Total: 1M

AMD sales Q4/2023

5K series: 200K
7K series: 700K

Total: 900K

So just because AMD total sales are down, it means 7K series sold LESS??? 🤦‍♀️
Ah, my favourite Steam Survey. Care to tell what's difference between those two?

AMD Radeon Graphics 1.98% -0.21%
AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics 0.87% -0.01%
Instead of trying to re-grab marketshare while Nvidia has full focus on AI, AMD wants to do AI as well, even tho they are many years behind.
AMD has fastest AI card currently FYI.

Yes, I need. I give example, numbers are random.

AMD sales Q3/2023:

5K series: 500K
7K series: 500K

Total: 1M

AMD sales Q4/2023

5K series: 200K
7K series: 700K

Total: 900K

So just because AMD total sales are down, it means 7K series sold LESS??? 🤦‍♀️

Ah, my favourite Steam Survey. Care to tell what's difference between those two?

AMD Radeon Graphics 1.98% -0.21%
AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics 0.87% -0.01%

AMD has fastest AI card currently FYI.
You are fanboying too hard. Not even going to bother. Oh wait, yes I am.

Yeah AMD are AI kings it seems. Hahahahahaha. You are not in touch with reality.

Nvidia H100 80GB is the fastest AI card by a huge margin. AMD is not even close. Companies are gobbling up Nvidia AI cards. AMD has MI300 series which is mediocre at best.

Why do you think Nvidia market cap and stock exploded? Because they are dominating AI and Enterprise. AMD wants in, but they have nothing.

AMD Radeon Graphics is iGPU, no-one cares. We are talking about dGPUs.

AMD GPUs are considered a joke in the Enterprise segment, if you think otherwise you have no experience at all with this segment. All AI companies want Nvidia, not AMD. Some take AMD because they can't afford Nvidia tho. Does not mean its good. If AMD was viable in the AI high-end segment, their stocks would explode like Nvidias did.

Last edited:
Nvidia H100 80GB is the fastest AI card by a huge margin. AMD is not even close. Companies are gobbling up Nvidia AI cards. AMD has MI300 series which is mediocre at best.

Why do you think Nvidia market cap and stock exploded? Because they are dominating AI and Enterprise. AMD wants in, but they have nothing.
MI300X beats H100 hands down.
AMD Radeon Graphics is iGPU, no-one cares. We are talking about dGPUs.

AMD GPUs are considered a joke in the Enterprise segment, if you think otherwise you have no experience at all with this segment. All AI companies want Nvidia, not AMD. Some take AMD because they can't afford Nvidia tho. Does not mean its good. If AMD was viable in the AI high-end segment, their stocks would explode like Nvidias did.
And what is AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics then?

FYI, sales do not mean anything about product quality or anything else. If you think otherwise, feel free to explain Intel's high server CPU market share. Intel is currently at AMD's 2019 level, 5 years behind. And that is not market share but server CPU speed.

The removal of HT sounds like a marketing move. Let’s see if they reintroduce it in 1-2 generations when Intel wants to show a 20-30% uplift in multithreaded workloads.

MI300X beats H100 hands down.

And what is AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics then?

FYI, sales do not mean anything about product quality or anything else. If you think otherwise, feel free to explain Intel's high server CPU market share. Intel is currently at AMD's 2019 level, 5 years behind. And that is not market share but server CPU speed.
You know nothing about enterprise and AI. AMDs enterprise GPUs are a standing joke in the community. No-one wants them. Some poor companies go the AMD route. All the big players go Nvidia.

Nvidia = AI King

AMD is not even worth considering for top AI companies. They are far too bad.

Meta ordered 350.000 H100 GPUs.
H100 is selling for 40.000 dollars average.

Meanwhile you can find MI300 in the landfill.

I know this is hard reading for an AMD fanboy. You need to accept reality tho. Nvidia's is top 3 company worldwide now. Market cap exploded. Stock exploded.

Lisa Su can only dream of Nvidias succes.

Last edited:
You know nothing about enterprise and AI. AMDs enterprise GPUs are a standing joke in the community. No-one wants them. Some poor companies go the AMD route. All the big players go Nvidia.

Nvidia = AI King

AMD is not even worth considering for top AI companies. They are far too bad.

Meta ordered 350.000 H100 GPUs.
H100 is selling for 40.000 dollars average.

Meanwhile you can find MI300 in the landfill.

I know this is hard reading for an AMD fanboy. You need to accept reality tho. Nvidia's is top 3 company worldwide now. Market cap exploded. Stock exploded.

Lisa Su can only dream of Nvidias succes.
I would really like to visit that landfill that contain MI300.

I would really like to visit that landfill that contain MI300.
"Nvidia has become the dominant force in the AI hardware industry, and CEO Jensen Huang knows it. The leather jacket-loving boss is so confident in the ability of his products, he says that even if the competitors' chips were free, they would still be a worse option than Nvidia's expensive alternatives."

:joy:

The leading AI companies are gobbling up Nvidia for a reason. It does not come down to the chips on their own but also the software behind them ;)

Back