I cant make a decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesmartidiot

i need help guys.

quad core is only $100 bucks more than dual core... however i am trying to stay under a budget.

ive read reviews and things that pretty much say there is no gain unless you over clock.

overclocking is against my religion lol

ive already bought a board, it says it fully supports quad core... but i just dont want to make the leap.

im thinking about saving the quad core for my spring wall pc.... heck... by then they might have octacores out lol.

but seriously does anyone have any reaso why i should go quad? i do alot of video editing and flash, but thats not enough for the need of 4 cores...

help! lol

thanks
------------
system specs (so far)

biostar board with geforce 7050 onboard (im sure is crap, but it will hold me until i buy a real video card)

OCZ ddr 800 2x1gb dual channel kit

550 psu

500 gig sata or ide (will probably leap to sata) wd hdd

netgear wireless pci card g

ben q 16 x dvd burner

You don't really need quad core. You have my blessing to get a dual core. :)

I recently built a new PC with a Core 2 Duo so you see what I chose. Check my system specs.

What brand and model power supply did you get? You didn't specify. Also, does your motherboard take DDR or DDR2 RAM?

its just ddr2 800... mybad lol

i didnt think they made it any other way than ddr2, but im only 17... what do i know.

as for the power supply...it is an eagle technologies cool power 550w, nothing fancy. i went to micro center and wanted a low $$ one, they tried selling me another xion (which is what i was gonna swap into this but the fan threw a rod or something :p ) so i spent 5 more bucks and got a bigger one.

as long as it works i'm happy, its not like i need full power for 25 videocards or 13 hard drives lol.

okay, my board just came

newegg said its ddr2 800.... the box and manual says its ddr2 667. however it looks like ddr2 667 is hard to come by. if i buy ddr2 800, will my board either jump up to ddr2 800 or limit the ddr2 800 to 667mhz?

cause if ddr2 800 will work ill just buy that, so then i have beefier memory down the road.

Well, the site says 800MHz so I'd suggest going with that. The worst that'll happen is that the board will clock down the speed to 667MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back