I have 4gb of RAM but can only use 3.2gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed an extra 2 gb of ram (OCZ Reaper HPC 42 x 1GB 1150MHz) and Rainmaker is telling me I'm only getting 3.25. I called up OCZ and the guy said because I have windows xp (32 bit) that I won't be able to use all 4, but tigerdirect has a chart that tells me I should be seeing all 4. So, who's right?

More RAM for Me and My Men............

I just installed an extra 2 gb of ram (OCZ Reaper HPC 42 x 1GB 1150MHz) and Rainmaker is telling me I'm only getting 3.25. I called up OCZ and the guy said because I have windows xp (32 bit) that I won't be able to use all 4, but tigerdirect has a chart that tells me I should be seeing all 4. So, who's right?

You might be able to see it in BIOS and then not in system information. OCZ is correct that you won't be able to use it.

As to whether you should be able to see the additional RAM in Windows itself, that may depend on the motherboard. A board which is 32 bit hardware will not even show the extra RAM to the OS. I'm not sure if 64 bit boards will or not.

You might want to check out this M$ page about "4 GB Tuning", (alias "The 3 Gigabyte" switch). As I understand it, this can only be accomplished with XP Pro, (32 bit obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back