I have a virus on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently got a virus on laptop and it wont boot up windows. Im getting a blue screen that says boot disk error. I dont have my windows 2000 nt disk and I bought an adapter for my hard drive to hook up to my pc. I was told to run a virus check on my hard drive but the problem is I am computer stupid. Hope someone could help.

Begin by telling us what computer equipment you have, and what is installed.
Windows 2000 is not much different than Windows XP, but it usually has different drivers... you need to be sure you have everything downloaded to a separate computer disc so you can install.
You need to obtain and run a good spyware checker/scanner, and a good antivirus software... as well as a root kit.
www.avast.com and www.avg.com (search AVG, Free, and Grisoft) will do what most people... are still free, and easy to download and install.
Once installed, run one scan in regular mode. Then reboot, and run a second scan in Safe Mode.
Then run the latest HiJack This download and post it here.

Hi strghjkt and welcome to techspot. =)

You have actually posted your query in the wrong place; I shall PM a mod to move your thread. Meanwhile please do the following.

Important: Please read this thread HERE before you decide whether to clean or reformat your system.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps given. Do follow all the instructions exactly. They will provide logs for analysis of your system so I will know how to instruct you to proceed.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste your logs if not it will be ignored and/or removed.

Also, please let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of strghjkt only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

still no luck with laptop

my computer is an ibm thinkpad laptop and it wont start up in any mode it gets to the windows screen and freezes half way. i need to get into my hard drive somehow and grab the files that i need off of it. i dont know how to get into my hard drive without using my laptop.

Which model of Thinkpad? We do a great deal of work on Thinkpads, and love them. We have substantial experience on most models.
There are ways that you can improve your chances of saving your data, but require that you stop attempting to access the drive now.
Tell me if your hard drive is a Hitachi or Toshiba drive that was original equipment for that model?
Then report whether you have a desktop with an extra hard drive bay.

This fix is not for SATA laptop drives, but works on most Thinkpads drives.
It is better, but more cumbersome, than using an external USB laptop drive case, because it provides you the added power to turn a defective drive.

If you try this, plan on some real time to do the transfer, because the drive may never work again once it is turned off. You have to assume you have one chance to get everything. And it is a bit confusing for the newly initiated to set it up. You may have to change a laptop hard drive jumper depending on the drive, and they are tiny... less than 1/3 the height of a desktop hard drive jumper. You may have to build your own if your laptop drive does not have one.

You must know where your data is stored. You can use recovery software to rescue anything on the drive if you do not know locations. You can save your My Documents folder, but you must know where your email, Outlook, Quickbooks, and other software files are stored in order to access then and drag them to the free space on your desktop hard drive.

You can buy an adapter from www.geeks.com or from CablestoGo.com for $7.99 plus shipping. This adapter enables you to install the laptop drive as a slave in a desktop bay. It provides extra stability and power to get the drive turning.

We perform this service several times a week with nary a problem.

The part number at Geeks.com is 17705-DT. The number will vary elsewhere.

The failure problem you have is likely an IBM Travelstar, or a Hitachi Deskstar, but could be a Toshiba. It will never work again. The fix is to get the drive turning and then drag all your valuable data to the desktop where you can burn it to a CD.

This adapter ships directly from the manufacturer (Cables to Go) via FedEx and may be shipped ONLY to the 50 United States, EXCLUDING Massachusetts. Some other stores such as Frys and Outpost handle the drive and will ship to Massachusetts.

This adapter is not available for shipment to international or APO/FPO addresses, or to US territories or possessions, and is not available for Customer Pickup or for payment by COD. But that may be possible from another online seller. A signature will be required upon delivery of this item.
This item may only be returned directly to the manufacturer for a replacement of the same make/model if necessary.

It is not fancy, and is designed for infrequent use.

With the Laptop Hard Drive Adapter from Geeks.com or Cables To Go, you can connect your 2.5-inch 44-pin notebook IDE hard drive to a 40-pin IDE cable for installation in a desktop or tower PC. Each adapter features 44-pin female to 40-pin male connectors, and a power feed.

Please note that this adapter DOES NOT INCLUDED a wide drive bay adapter (most desktop cases will not have a 2.5-inch drive bay). For an 44-pin to 40-pin IDE adapter that includes a drive bay adapter, please see the Geeks.com SKU HD-108. I use the adapter without the drive bay adapter, but you can build your own if you have old parts laying around.

Specs:
Product Description Cables To Go IDE / EIDE adapter
Type IDE / EIDE adapter
Connector(s) 1 x 44 pin IDC - female
Connector(s) (Other Side) 1 x 40 pin IDC - male ¦ 1 x 4 pin internal power - female
Manufacturer Warranty Limited lifetime warranty
Storage Cable Type IDE / EIDE adapter
Color Black, white
Connectivity
Connector(s) 1 x 44 pin IDC - female
Connector(s) (Other Side) 1 x 40 pin IDC - male
1 x 4 pin internal power - female
Miscellaneous
Service & Support Limited lifetime warranty Replaced by manufacturer

I hope you could help RayBay

I have an older model Ibm 2000 or 2001 model. My Hard drive is factory model and is an Ibm travelstar. I already have the adapter but I don't know how to hook it up to my PC. It has an extra drive bay and I wouldn't know how to make it a slave drive.

A little experimentation will not harm anything. There are four jumper pins on the hard drive. You need a very short jumper, or make your own, to make the drive into a slave. The jumper settings are on the back label of most drives. If not there, you will find it on their web site.
Depending on the drive, most drives do not require the jumper when they are single master. However when there are two drives, the new drive (of the drive to which the data will be copied and which has Windows) must be jumpered as master, and the old laptop drive should be jumpered as slave.

On others, it looks like it matters and it doesn't.

You only have three choices, and none of the choices, if wrong, would damage anything.

You can buy the jumpers at www.cyberguys.com. A little bag with a dozen in it is under $5.00, or you can cut down an existing jumper, or you can go to old computer parts where you will often find them used on old hard drive circuit boards and on some old motherboards. They are about 1/16 inch long. A wire wrap held with tape or a spot of rubber cement works as well.

Ok Im Almost There

I have the jumpers and can see where they go on the slave drive. now do I have to do anything to the pc settings in order for the pc to recognize the other drive?

You plug the adapter into a free power socket, and the other plug set into the second plug on the EIDE cable. Then jumper your desktop hard drive as master, and the laptop drive as slave... You may have to experiment with the slave settings, but the jumper settings are found at the drive manufacturer website if they are not printed on the label on the hard drive.

You will know when it is right, as they will both show up in the BIOS... and in the My computer settings. Your desktop drive will usually be C:, but not always... depends on the system and the slave laptop drive can be any of a number of settings....

Jot down the settings that exist before you start.

You can also examine them at Control Panel -> Administrative Settings -> Computer Management -> Disc Management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back