I need help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I am kind of new to this site. I have a crapy computer, and I want to bea able to wipe out the whole thing and install Windows XP SP2. I dont know how to wipe it completly out. Can someone please help me. I have Windows Me on it right now. I am putting in a bigger hard drive and more memory and a graphics card. I should have no problem doing that. I just need to know if I know what I am doing on the wipe out. Thanks. Email me at n_j0308@yahoo.com.

Boot from the XP Cd. chose install XP, delete the existing partion, create a new partiton and format it. once the formatting is done choose install XP on the partition you just formatted. it is very easy and has a simple graphical interface and is easy to follow.

booting from xp-cd with an existing os will do an upgrade, inheriting most or all of the problems from the old os. your best plan is what you just first thought of, i.e. clean it out and do a clean install of xp.
do this:
get a win-98 boot disk from here
this will create a new bootable floppy disk for you
turn off your machine
with the new boot disk in the machine
turn it on
choose "boot with cd rom enabled" option
you will see a c: prompt with a blinking cursor
do an fdisk on the command prompt
type fdisk and enter
delete existing partion
create a partition
choose (use maximum drive capacity)
turn machine off
when it boots up again (same process)
at command prompt type format c: and enter
after format finishes
turn your machine off
put win-xp cd in your cd rom drive
turn machine on while tapping del, f1, esc, or any key that will get you to BIOS
in bios, select boot sequence and choose "boot from cd-rom first"
let machine start from xp-cd and follow instructions for install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back