I think i have power problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellomoto

Hi,

Ok im having a problem, my computer has just lost all power and will not switch back on. I have reseated everything and have unplugged some stuff to drop the demand on the power supply. When i go to turn the system on everything flickers for a milli second then dies. do you get what i mean...everything goes to start up like normal..fan..hard drives..lights then it dies after a milli second. im not sure what the problem is. i think it is a power problem....

my system spec:

2.66 Intel P4 CPU with Akasa Fan
Gigabyte SINXP1394 M/Board and Zalmann N/Bridge Cooler
1Gb Crucial DDR400 Memory
Radeon 9500 with Thermaltake GIANT 3 Cooler
70Gb Western Digital Raptor 10K RPM SATA HDD enclosed in
Vantec Vortex HDD Cooler.
160Gb Maxtor SATA HDD
Thermaltake Butterfly 480 PSU
Thermaltake Xaser 3 case (7 fans plus temp reader thingy and light on front of case)
wireless NIC
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD-RW
Samsung CD-RW

Anybody got any ideas what it might be!!!!

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It does sound like a psu problem try another psu and hopefully that will sort it.

If it doesn`t then please post back and we`ll see what else we can do to help.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Check that the Cooler is properly mounted on the CPU, and that you used thermal paste.
Your symptoms sound like instant overheating.

You can also try unplugging the power cord to the tower for a few minutes, then plug it back in. This will allow a 'reset' of the board, and could fix the problem. But as others have said it sounds like it is deeper than that. Give your motherboard a once over as well and check for blown capacitors, you will see them rounded off or ooze coming out of the top of them.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Hi all,

Well thanks for reading my lovely, problem. I spent some time this morning trying different things and eventually got it too boot..stay on long enough that is and its been running fine ever since. quite strange. anyway when i get the time im gonna take my heatsink out and reapply thermal paste, becuase thats what i think it is. As the pc has been running smoothly for about 5 hours now since 12 this afternoon i would say that i dont have a problem with my PSU. However the problem could be overheating....

anyway thanks for taking a look....

:bounce:

You can always boot back into the BIOS and check the temperatures and voltages of your board. This will tell you if it is overheating as well.

thats helpful dude,

i had a look and its got

VCore 1.57
VCC18 1.8
+ 3.3V 3.3 around
+ 5V 5.02 around
+ 12 11.9 around

CPU temp 44 which i didnt think was high, although i dont know about these voltages do they look right.

Thanks poertner_1274 :wave:

Those values for voltage and temperature look fine. Mind you, the CPU cools down very quickly and is of course cold when you start the PC. Do a bit of intensive gaming or so, then immediately boot into the BIOS and check the temp. again. See if your mobo does not have a temperature watching program. Otherwise try SiSoft Sandra 2004 or Everest from www.lavalys.com
There is also MoboMonitor (MBM), but it is no longer supported and a pain to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back