I think I killed my graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

skitzo_zac

I was messing around in my case with some cable management and getting rid of some dust. When I turned my computer back on it made a horrible single long beeping sound, I opened up my case and realised I'd forgotten to plug the power cable into my graphics card.

I plugged the power cable in and turned it on, now there is no beeping but no video output. I think I might of killed it.

My only real idea at the moment is to try and get access to another computer from a friend and see if my graphics card works in another machine or if another graphics card works in my machine.

Anyone know of a way to solve my issue, or to properly diagnose the problem as it might not actually my my gpu?

Extra thought, after this I swear to never open up and mess with my hardware unless absolutely nessescary.

Hi

Its unlikely that not plugging a power lead into the video card would have killed it.

It may blow however if you plug the card in whilst the PC is turned on, im not saying you did i am just stating an opinion

I suggest you remove the card and reseat it fully and ensure that it is plugged in correctly before powering on the system

Regards

I did that first time around when building my computer, but when i plugged everything in properly it all came together. are you sure all the monitor cables and all that shiz are right.

didnt break my 8800gt

edit : i turned the pc on several teams, it squealed for a long time

Well It is back and working again. I reseated my graphics card and RAM sticks last night and I dont think I tried booting it after I closed my case last night. But I woke up this morning pressed the power button and hey presto I get a lovely POST and then a windows loading screen!

YAY!

So It appears that yeah just reseating did the job. I would just like to thank eveyone for responding in my hour of need and depression.

It would of totally sucked if the graphics card was acually dead because Point of View seems very dodgey and lame when it comes to warranties, there is no mention of warranties on my gpu box or any documentation inside the box. And on the PoV website it just says to contact the retailer I bought the GPU from.

Can I mark this thread as solved or closed or anything or can only mods do that?

I had the same issue, the video card or memory or something in the computer tower wasn't seated good, might of got lose while i was cleaning out my PSU . So no worries, haha. I thought i killed my computer after hearing that loud noise haha.

Oh man you just need to relax, I honestly can't tell you just how many times I went to sleep and my computer wasn't working, whither if it were me cleaning it, cables are wrong, screwed up the bios settings, Overclocking settings, power supply quitting on me, have to re-install windows..... something will happen and regularly I will have a problem where it won't start again. All I could ever tell you next time is try to see what the problem or try to realize what you did wrong, how to fix it, and if you are too tired then don't stress out over it that night. Sleep on it, trust me it works... all that is if you ever have a problem where it won't boot. ^_^

-Nick-

Yeah I just did need to relax. But that Is hard to do when you think you just killed a graphics card that cost $600+

Also I just noticed that well now my computer is back up and running, but I glanced at my POST and it said that my memory was only single channel. Very strange. It should be dual channel, I have to identical OCZ DIMMS in the correct slots on the motherboard for dual channel. And I know that it used to run dual channel and the RAM is still in the same slots it always has been. And I checked in CPU-Z that says single channel too.

I'll open the case and swap the memory sticks around when I can be bothered, but anyone have any idea why it would of suddenly decided to switch from dual to single channel?

Yeah it cost me $640 AUD, and this was before the R600 (Radeon HD 2900) had launched, at this time the 8800GTX was about $800 and the Ultra about $1000.

Now I could get a 4850 for about $220-250, a 4870 for $330-380.

I really bought my computer at a bad time. Just after Intel cut prices and revised the core 2 lineup and my RAM.... I'm not even going to say how much cheaper RAM is atm. Meh I can't do anything about it. And my computer still performs very well for my resolution of only 1280x1024.

Also I just noticed that well now my computer is back up and running, but I glanced at my POST and it said that my memory was only single channel. Very strange. It should be dual channel, I have to identical OCZ DIMMS in the correct slots on the motherboard for dual channel. And I know that it used to run dual channel and the RAM is still in the same slots it always has been. And I checked in CPU-Z that says single channel too.

I'll open the case and swap the memory sticks around when I can be bothered, but anyone have any idea why it would of suddenly decided to switch from dual to single channel?

Well I only just got round to opening up my case, It seems that I was too tired or something last time I was messing round inside. I had my RAM modules on the wrong slots on the motherboard. I seated them in the correct slots and now POST and CPU-Z are both reporting Dual Channel operation,

Haha, I just had it confused with AMD chipsets/mobo's where the channels have the dimms in slots next to each other.

Me as a surgeon: whoops I confused the heart for the stomach :p

And I think I might have left it a bit late to become a surgeon, with doing all the IT courses I am. Also I can't handle real organs and insides, did some animal disections at school couldn't handle it. And the movie Turista's, I couldn't handle that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back