I think I killed my mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
my brother recently gave me enough old parts to build several computors.
I put together a P3 on a Tyan S2056 w/ e810 chipset, tossed in a hard drive, floppy, and cd. When I tried to install win98 everything seemed to be working fine. It went through set up like normal and then to restart. Trouble is, it would never go into windows. It would boot up but would only stay in Dos. I used Fdisk,reformatted, and tried to reinstall. This time Scandisk indicated a damaged file. I told it to fix it. then again, another damaged file. I told it to fix it. This happened about 5 or 6 times. Suddenly, the characters on the screen looked like a different language. Stop laughing, I'm not done.
I rebooted and went into the bios, which was now also in a different language. Not knowing what else to do I reset the cmos, thinking this might put me back to sqaure one. Now, when I try to reboot, I get six beeps. The manual indicates this as a prblem with the keybord controller chip. I tried a different keyboard, same thing. On one website, they said that six beeps could mean a bad CPU or MOBO. Its a good thing this stuff was free. Can somebody tell me what I did? Signed-MegaMoron

Your safe, its not considered murder in most states.

PS/2 style keyboards and mouse should never plugged in or unplugged when power is on or the computer is in standby, power is still supplied to them.
To be safe unplug the power supply before unplugging and plugging in both.

A damaged keyboard cord can damage the controller chip, power leaking or shorted into the data channel.

Most modern motherboards have resetable fuses (thermal; reset when they cool down).. Repeated over current (bad cable) tripping the fuse will eventually damage the controller chip.

Was the keyboard acting erratic or the computer not always excepting input from the keyboard ?

AMI Beep-Error-Codes
Six beeps = Keyboard Controller Gate A20 error (BIOS can not switch CPU into protected mode)

from what I have read a damaged keyboard may mimic beep code for damaged CChip.
try another keyboard
hopefully the board can handle the cpu
sometimes if a faster cpu was on the board and your cmos was not reset it could overheat the cpu
I don't like tyan sorry burn't twice
that reminds me I gotta pull the link from my web site

The keyboard never acted erraticly at all. I did try another keyboard with the same result. I also always turn the power Supply off before removing anything, though I dont unplug unless I'm opening the case. I've got two other mobo's, one of which I think will work with the cpu. I guess I'll get my answer as to wether or not the CPU is fried that way. Im basically, just learning with some old parts before I build a more up to date system.
What I would really like to know is why it would not go into windows. It would ask if I wanted to start with cd rom support, or not. Then would only go to an A> promt.

yes you will start with the floppy prompt
here's the setup
you are using a floppy boot disc and a cd disc with 98 on it
put the floppy in first
it will prompt how you want to start
use the boot from floppy with cd support
after you get the A:\ put the disc in now type D:
it should switch to the cd if not try D:\ or just plan D
if you get the D prompt type dir/p
this will tell you want is on the disc ,should be a file setup.exe
scroll to end of files for D:\ prompt
at D:\ type setup should look like this D:\setup