IBM Thinkpad iSeries Sleep Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmagic650

Hey all,
I have an IBM iSeries Thinkpad notebook 1161-43U, that won't come out of "standby" mode. I have an orange battery indication, a green half-moon indicator, and the green power indicator. The notebook won't power up at all. If I disconnect the power AC adapter and then plug it in, I can hear a faint grinding sound and then nothing. I suspect that the main CPU cooling fan is malfunctioning causing a "CPU overheating" condition...

Does anyone have experience with this?

Is your computer running Windows xp service pack 2? If so there is a fix for computers that wont wake up from standby or hibernation mode.

find.pcworld.com/52864 copy and paste that into your browser and that should help.

Thanks GeekieNick101,
this system is running Windows Me circa 2001. I am going to guess that the CPU fan is bad. I have to tear down the whole notebook to get to the fan though... bummer!

Have fun with that, I know if it is anything like my Dell laptop it has a ton of screws and is so confusing to open then it wont go back together correctly. It took me like 2 hours just to open and clean my laptop! And if it is Windows Me than it most likely would be the cpu overheating

Good Luck

Thanks GeekieNick101,
I've worked on a lot of laptops... Some are definately easier than others to work on. I just always hate to remove those LCD displays. They are heavy and delicate at the same time. I'm a bit hung over today, so I'll get on it first thing tomorrow. I wanted to upgrade the memory from 64MB to the max 128MB but at $200+ for the module... No way!

I replaced the CPU fan and I still can't get the notebook to start. The cover open switch is next to check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back