IDE is cutting or grounding my periphial power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bokenbladebum

Greetings. I am new to computer construction, and am in need of some answers. I just purchased a new psu, cpu, vga, and mobo to upgrade my current setup. Actually, the only things I'm keeping from my old system are my CD drive, DVD drive, and HDD. Now, onto my dilemna. I bolted everything into place and secured all power cables to their respective slots on my periphials (cd, dvd, and hdd) and connected my 80 pin IDE cables into their respective periphials (again, cd, dvd, and hdd). When I throw the switch (supply power) my fans kick on and my built in temp. monitor (in the front) kicks on, but my hdd, cd, and dvd don't. Why is this happening? How can I remedy the situation?

Specs:
PSU-Xclio goodpower 500w
CPU-AMD Athlon xp 3700+
MOBO-Asrock dual sata 939
HDD-(not sata/sataII) Samsung 160gb
RAM-PNY 184pin pc3200 (512mb) & Samsung 184pin pc3200 (512mb).
VGA-Nvidia 6800xt

ps if this is in the wrong forum, let me know. Also, if I need to supply any more information, please let me know.

it sounds like:

1. your RAM is damaged, improperly installed, or incompatible -try booting with just 1 stick of RAM (try them each seperately)

2. your mobo is shorting out -make sure that you only put standoffs where they belong. this is a common first time builder's mistake. remove the mobo and table test it to rule out this possibility.

3. your PSU or MOBO is dead, but it is more likely to be #1 or #2

BTW.... you have an Athlon64, not an AthlonXP

Your mobo must be grounding itself on the case. Check the stand-offs and make sure you used the insulating washer if they came with the new mobo.
Also make sure the CPU 4pin molex connector is plugged into the mobo.

lol kirok, I beat you by 1 second.. hehe :)

I have the same mobo, it does not come with nor does it need any insulating washers. The mounting holes have a metal ring around them which are supposed to be grounded.

The only way he is shorting out the board would be a improperly placed standoff, or a screw wedged behind the board

Thanks, Kingcody, for the 3 prong answer. And thanks, kirock for backing up his claims. Now, I shall try all that you have suggested...now for the embarassing part. When you say standoff you're referring to the single female connectors that plug into the mobo, yes?

no, a standoff is a small metal (or plastic in some cases) spacer that keeps the mobo from touching the case itself. you screw the standoff into the case, then screw the mobo mounting screw into the standoff.

If you did not use any standoffs, then there is your problem right there.

Lol, alright, thank ye again. Let's see..I am using standoffs then, and, considering you've the same mobo, where should I standoff? In that, I am asking which holes I should screw in w/ the mobo. Sorry again for the "first timers mistake"s

The mobo is a stanndard ATX mobo. it has 10 mounting holes. they all have a silver ring around them. the configuration should look like this:

--------
| 0 0 0
|
|
| 0 0 0
|
| 0 0 0
--------

P.S. sorry it's the best I could do (the forum won't allow alot of spaces so the board looks skinny, but you get the idea)... hehe :p

aah! thank you agian, but am I supposed to bolt in all ten holes? Considering I only have 5 standoffs (th/ are the same side) what should I do?

how did you mount the board with only 5 standoffs???

you should use all 10, however as long as you don't push or pull on the board (i.e. don't add or remove any hardware to or from it), then you could use the 4 corner holes, and the center hole i guess

but i would recommend buying some more standoffs

I've tried both the RAM testing and table testing and I've still no results. My dvd or cd won't turn on, and my hdd won't either. Anything else could go wrong, apart from bad parts?

Also, the 4pin, 12v power connector can't be plugged in for the computer to even power up, how can I fix it so th/ its plugged in and everything can work fine..might THAT be the root of my troubles?

As for the standoffs..where could one acquire such items? Wait a moment, I also have some plastic 1/2 screw 1/2 oval shaped ring (to go through a hole and lock into place). Could I perhaps use those as standoffs?

I still think your mobo is shorting out.

a standoff looks can look like this

Metal Standoff
or
Plastic Standoff

There are other types as well.

Now each standoff should be screwed into your case, according to the holes on you mobo. As shown by King Cody

bokenbladebum said:
Also, the 4pin, 12v power connector can't be plugged in for the computer to even power up, how can I fix it so th/ its plugged in and everything can work fine..might THAT be the root of my troubles?
does your PSU have a 12V ATX CPU Connector? it will be a sqaure shaped 4 pin connector with 2 yellow and 2 black wires, don't confuse this connector with a detachable 4 pin connector from the ATX 20/24 pin main power connector

bokenbladebum said:
As for the standoffs..where could one acquire such items? Wait a moment, I also have some plastic 1/2 screw 1/2 oval shaped ring (to go through a hole and lock into place). Could I perhaps use those as standoffs?
you can buy them at a local computer or electronics store. I'm not sure if what you explained is a plastic standoff, but if it works, them go for it. I would use the metal standoffs in the 4 corners and the middle left (close to the PCI-E slot and use the plastic standoffs for all the other holes

good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back