Idk what a video card looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta56

ok so i had this problem with the monitor not powering on with the computer a few months back. Now its winter break and i have time to try and fix it.

Last time someone told me to open the computer and check the video card.

ok i opened it. lol problem is idk what a video card looks like. all i see is a bunch of chips and wires. thanks

Er no, thats not possible. You will have different looking cards that may be network or sound cards for example.

Your graphics card will be the one that the monitor plugs into!!!!

Delta56 said:
is it ok to unplug everything and replug them?

Only if the computer is off and unplugged or else :hotbounce ! Look for a card that has monitor outputs outside of the case. If you don't have any, you may have you video integrated into your motherboard (big square that hold everything together if you didnt' know).

I see two things unplugged. They both have red yellow and black wires connected to them. I followed them and traced them back to the box with the fan and power plug thingy. Is this bad?

Delta56 said:
I see two things unplugged. They both have red yellow and black wires connected to them. I followed them and traced them back to the box with the fan and power plug thingy. Is this bad?

That big box is the power supply, and supplies power to whatever components hooked up to it. Do NOT plug those wires in unless you know they belong in the card. It could very well be that the problem could be that but we are not sure. One wrong plug in, and that card could spark out and break. Take a picture and post it.

That's a simple power connector for things like a hard drive. Extras tend to hang loose a lot (I only have 1 HDD so I have many hanging around). Try and take a picture of the inside of your computer so we can point out the video card.

Out of curiosity, does the top expansion card hold monitor ports on the back of the computer? The only thing I can see is that it's in a PCI slot.

yeah. It's the blue one right? yeah thats the one i connect to the monitor. Now the problem is that the monitor doesn't power on with the computer. The monitor works fone with other computers.

Delta56 said:
yeah. It's the blue one right? yeah thats the one i connect to the monitor. Now the problem is that the monitor doesn't power on with the computer. The monitor works fone with other computers.

Try to:

1. Take out the card, and re-insert it and make sure it is tight.
2. Take out the lithium battery on the motherboard and re-insert that
3. Start you computer in BIOS (by pressing DEL or F2/3/4 on system startup and make sure that your video card is configured correctly

Re-post when you are done. Remember to keep your PC off during the first 2 steps. Also make sure that it is not you monitor being broken; if you have another computer, try the monitor on that. Do any messages appear on the monitor like "Out of Range", "Can't Detect Signal", etc.?

When i tried the monitor with the computer im using now it works fine.

When i use it with the old computer (the one in the picture) it doesn't work with it. the green light on the monitor is on and blinks but the screen remains blank. Now when i unplug the monitor from the computer the monitor says "no signal" so that means that the connection is fine right?

Delta56 said:
When i tried the monitor with the computer im using now it works fine.

When i use it with the old computer (the one in the picture) it doesn't work with it. the green light on the monitor is on and blinks but the screen remains blank. Now when i unplug the monitor from the computer the monitor says "no signal" so that means that the connection is fine right?

It sounds like a hardware issue. If you have any videocards laying around, try those in the computer. What model video card is it, what does it say on the top of the card? Strip down your computer to the basics; a hard drive, video card, and memory and remove everything else that is an addon (i.e. sound cards, modem ports, etc.).

I found these on the video card.
1. NV996.0 REV. D (directly on the card)
2. NVD08.0 VT QC (on a sticker with a barcode)

Oh yeah, I never took a computer apart before.

If this helps, Sometimes the monitor would work with the computer but as soon as the windows startup loading bar finishes, it would turn blank again. The computer worked perfectly fine before but this problem seems to come out after i unplug the computer from the outlet and replug it.

Also last time a guy told me to check the BIOS voltage thing and i got a 4.7 for the 5

Delta56 said:
I found these on the video card.
1. NV996.0 REV. D (directly on the card)
2. NVD08.0 VT QC (on a sticker with a barcode)

Oh yeah, I never took a computer apart before.

If this helps, Sometimes the monitor would work with the computer but as soon as the windows startup loading bar finishes, it would turn blank again. The computer worked perfectly fine before but this problem seems to come out after i unplug the computer from the outlet and replug it.

Also last time a guy told me to check the BIOS voltage thing and i got a 4.7 for the 5

First of all, never change voltages if you don't know what you're doing. It now seems like a software problem you're receiving. Try loading with Windows in Safe Mode (hit F8 on startup after BIOS screen).

well thats good because i dont know how to change the voltage.=P Is there anything else i could do with the computer while its open? because it seems to take a while for the monitor to work with the computer after i replug them back into an outlet.

Monitor not working = no startup screen =[

Delta56 said:
well thats good because i dont know how to change the voltage.=P Is there anything else i could do with the computer while its open? because it seems to take a while for the monitor to work with the computer after i replug them back into an outlet.

Monitor not working = no startup screen =[

Not really, maybe you could dust it or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back