IE7 homepage hijacked by MSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built 2 identical systems and they're both installed with XP pro sp2 and IE7. After getting one of the systems configured and online at my uncles house I tried to change the IE "home page", but as I push enter to effectuate the change suddenly the www.msn.com is back as the homepage. I tried everything I could think of but unable to change it.

For the record this system is running Norman Antivirus and is behind a router firewall. There is no antispyware installed as of yet. No freeware or any other downloads have yet taken place to possibly import hidden spyware, so I suspect this might be an IE7 issue.

Anyone experienced anything similar and has a solution?

I have meawhile installed Firefox 2.0 which seems less targeted

Certain versions of NAV lock the homepage.

To disable:

Open NAV > Options > under the Internet section, click on Home Page Protection.

Uncheck all three options:

1."Turn home page protection on"

2."Block all attempts to change my homepage"

3."Alert me when my home page loads"

Then uninstall Norton completely and get AVG instead.

Then install a good third party firewall like Zone Alarm,Kerio,or Comodo

I'm not running Norton or any other symantec product on these 2 systems, and yes I'm aware of that certain Norton products will block/ask you before homepage change is allowed............

I'm running Norman Antivirus, and that's all it is, ANTIVIRUS. It does not to my knowledge block such an attempt.......

Hi Howard!

Thanx for the tip on the other string........I will just have to try and reinstall IE7 next time I'm at my uncle's house(Will be a while) and until then he gets to run Firefox2.0 (maybe he doesn't even want IE7?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back