IKernel error in XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liftmusic

I'm hoping that someone could help me or at least make some suggestions as to what this error is.
I only recieve it when I uninstall programs using the add/remove programs applet in control panel also on some rare occasions I receive this error at the end of a program installation.
The error in all its glory is along these lines.
IKernel.exe -application error-
The instruction at "0x771c741a" referenced memory at "0x001635e0". The memory could not be "read".
Press ok to close the application.
I was thinking it was some problem with the memory I have installed on the computer but I have tried 3 different 256mb dimms individually and mixed but I always get this error upon program uninstallation??
Then I thought it could be a virus but my systen is reported clean n virus free?
Its a relatively new xp install and I dont really want to reinstall again! its like my 10th installation due to various niggling issues with my modems in xp :(
If anyone could shed some light on whats causing this problem I'd be very grateful.

I think I have the answer to your problem.

You have some corrupted or missing system files.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810608

SYMPTOMS
When you try to install a program that uses InstallShield, you may receive the following error message:

The install Shield engine "ikernel.exe" could not be launched -Error loading type library /dll
CAUSE
This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing from the Windows\System32 folder:
Stdole32.tlb
Stdole2.tlb
Stdole.tlb
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, expand the appropriate file from the Windows XP CD:
Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD. Click OK.
To change to the root folder of drive C, type cd\, and then press ENTER.
Insert the Windows XP CD, type Expand cd_drive_letter:\i386\filename.tl_ drive:\Windows\system32\filename.tlb, and then press ENTER, where filename is the name of the file that you want to expand and drive is the letter of the drive where Windows is installed.

For help with the Expand command, type EXPAND /? at a command prompt.

The article in knowledge base wasn't exactly the same, but there are such strong similarity that you should try the above.

It looks like you have a corrupted install shield.

Reinstalling the latest service pack might help as well.

good luck!

Thanks that sounds close enough to give it a try.
I have one question if I Install the latest service pack again
am I likely to lose any programs or updates I've installed since
I first applied the service pack?

No you shouldn't lose programs since the last update of SP. That just fixes critical issues within XP. And if one of them got messed up for your install shield problem, then that might fix it.

Another question I had was when you last installed did you get any errors on installation? Because I just had a MAJOR problem with a buddies computer that wouldn't install anything, and when I did I got errors, so I skipped them....well that is a bad idea. Long story short, later on during installation I got that same error once, then restarte the computer and didnt' get it again. Just thinking that this problem could be related, but not sure. This is just soemthing ot think about.

Well I tried the first fix suggested and I no longer get the Ikernel error when installing or removing programs but its taken on a new form now whenver I close Outlook express I get an error in MSIMN.exe I checked and the files related to Outlook so I thought I know i'll uninstall outlook and then reinstall it BUT! for some
reason after the service pack install for XP i've lost the ability to uninstall outlook and internet explorer from the add/remove programs control panel applet :( is there anyway to regain this option cos I'm having stupid problems with explorer too like i'll open a webpage and it will open to a blank page or I'll open hotmail and it loads everything but the main body of the webpage or I'll open a site and get swamped by script errors yet refresh the site and the page will load perfectly but very slowly??

I've tried reinstalling the servicepack but it didn't help I also ran the filechecker program in xp and it detected files that needed repairting but didn't solve my outlook and internet explorer problems :(.

I could probably solve all my problems by reformating and reinstall winXP but tbh I'm sick of the constant reformats...

i beleive this is realetd to Install Shield - i read about this issue as i got this error installing programs, turned out it had to do with installshield and memory and such.

Microsoft acknoledged that it introduced some problems with the application compatibility database back in Q328310 (doing that from memory, might be off a bit) and they attempted to resolve this with the Q814995 patch. I would check to see if you have Q814995 installed and, if not, see if it resolves your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814995

I believe Sun has documented that this hotfix resolves some ikernel error messages encountered with their products.

I've also seen some documents indicating that this error can result from a deficiency in COM resources. However, I really can't comment further.

ikernel problems with driver installers

I keep gettin this error message when I try to install my audio drivers
"error installing ikernel.exe: (0x10000)" I have no idea what this means. I could really use some help with this.

Thanx,
Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back