"immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk"

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniac_lonestar

1) I do not want to replace my Hard Disk Drive for my Laptop.

2) This message pops up everytime I turn the computer on, and I have to press F1 to continue Windows XP startup.

3) Even if I format, this message still appears.

4) I would like to remove this message because I am broke and this is annoying. Especially when the I set the computer to shut down, it fails and instead, it restarts and further weakens my computer; because I am away and didn't know that this mother******g message has been on for 5-10 mother******g hours!!!!.

Thanks!

Also, I reformatted my computer again, because this thing stayed for like 3 hours and everytime I start up from then and now, all I get is a blank screen.

But prior to that, I knew that I had a virus that prevented me using internet explorer and disk cleanup. I removed the virus, but I still had security holes. It said that I someone could access my computer through the .net framework and through ASP.NET. Does this mean that the passwords stored in my Mozilla Firefox could be stolen? I mean like it seemed strange that it took a few days for the virus/ware to completely disable my computer.

"immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk"
Considering all the clues your laptop has given you, i think this message is a sound advice, and count yourself fortunate enough to receive that message in the first place instead of just dying. You can use a diagnostic utility from your disc manufacturer to confirm this.

A low cost way of backing up would be to burn all your data to cds/dvd right now, if you can't afford an external, replacement HDD or loosing anything important..

i don't know the extent of your virus outbreak and what it did, although you can see what it does if you remember the name of the virus and googling it..

Oh yeh, there is an edit button...

WHEN is the message?it sounds like it is BEFORE windows has control? If so the Virus might have damaged your motherboard bios. Does your HD sound like it is "Clicking" or making "strange" and "Frightful" sounds? If their is a noise, then it is a bad HD. If you can reformat and reinstall windows form your Original Windows Disk that you bought or came with your computer, and STILL get the message, I have got to say that it is a buggy bios, because doing a format gets rid of everything, good and bad, another option I would recommend is to get a disk eraser, one step better then a re-format.

well daniel is correct.. kinda... :D

you can turn off that message through BIOS settings, i think its gotta do something with "stop on errors" or something. i haven't needed to do so before so i don't remember where it is so just dig around for a bit there. But be warned, you should get in a habit of backing up regularly after that because it won't warn you anymore of the impending doom if it decides to go..

Virii that has effect on the BIOS is rare if anything, but still a valid point.. otherwise there is the hdd side to consider, especially if its hardware fault, which a nuking program won't have effect on.

Find out the manufacturer of your HDD and run the diagnostic test from their website (free download). Use the Low level format option through that program if need be, which is the similar to disk eraser. This link should help you somewhat: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

daniel161 said:
WHEN is the message?it sounds like it is BEFORE windows has control? If so the Virus might have damaged your motherboard bios. Does your HD sound like it is "Clicking" or making "strange" and "Frightful" sounds? If their is a noise, then it is a bad HD. If you can reformat and reinstall windows form your Original Windows Disk that you bought or came with your computer, and STILL get the message, I have got to say that it is a buggy bios, because doing a format gets rid of everything, good and bad, another option I would recommend is to get a disk eraser, one step better then a re-format.

Omg I thought I said already that I reformatted my computer already (10 times per years LOL) And I also backup my data each 10 times because I know how to do that even with a non start up system.

All I need to hear is:
1) Maniac, you can't turn this off, its built in the hard drive
2) Maniac, non of us know
3) Maniac, follow these instructions to remove the message
4) Maniac, I like you, have a cookie

BTW, in the bios, its not a virri, it's a broken hard drive, I hit the hard drive when I'm mad and the cpu fans are broken witch weakens the hard drive.

maniac, you can turn that message off :D

It is in one of the BIOS settings (yes its a BIOS message), and look there for something like "Disable Stop/Halt on errors" "Disable SMART notification" or similar.

Unfortunately i can't be more specific because i don't remember what the exact words are..

N3051M said:
maniac, you can turn that message off :D

It is in one of the BIOS settings (yes its a BIOS message), and look there for something like "Disable Stop/Halt on errors" "Disable SMART notification" or similar.

Unfortunately i can't be more specific because i don't remember what the exact words are..

I am using PheonixBios and there isn't an option to disable SMART notification though, I cant seem to find it yet.

I agree with N3051M it sounds like your hard drive might be about to fail. I suggest you test your hard drive with the manufacturers diagnostic utility. If you have problems finding it, take a look at this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :)

if there's no setting there to disable it, then i'm afraid that you cant.. just try your best to ignore it and then save up some cash for a replacement hdd in the future.

Yeah I wont get a new laptop until my hard drive crash, but you see this laptop has a special hard drive that stores information to make REFORMAT work, so if I get a replacement HDD then the Video, Sound Card, Toshiba buttons, and such won't work.

BTW, in the bios, its not a virri, it's a broken hard drive, I hit the hard drive when I'm mad and the cpu fans are broken witch weakens the hard drive.

OK.... Broken hard drives will never work as expected. Have you tried hitting the wall instead?:knock:

Yeah I wont get a new laptop until my hard drive crash, but you see this laptop has a special hard drive that stores information to make REFORMAT work, so if I get a replacement HDD then the Video, Sound Card, Toshiba buttons, and such won't work.
2 ways you can get over this little inconvenience is to use another PC to clone the current hdd onto the new one, hence keeping everything intact, or borrowing a windows cd (of what version you have) and using that to format your laptop with (use your laptop's cd key on the bottom for activation) then just head to toshiba's website and download all the drivers, tools etc you need for it.

silverngold21 said:

OK.... Broken hard drives will never work as expected. Have you tried hitting the wall instead?:knock:

Dude, a few weeks after I figured out my hard drive was dying I hit the wall and broke the bone behind my pinky, its called a meta carpal bone i think. Of course, I was stresfful in many ways rather than crappy HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back