In The Dumps, Where Do My PC'S Stand??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been feeling lately that my PC's, which I have tryed so hard to keep upgraded/updated and powerful enough to play all those great games, are not good enough. Now, after recently running 3DMark 06 I feel even worse. I thought that I would score higher then I did. Maybe I can feel better by running 3DMark 05.

Another thing is, I thought that my Notebook PC (with the specs I chose) would be kind of close to my desktop (before the upgrade to 3GB of RAM), in what it can run but my Notebook falls behind more then I would like.

What I would like to get from this thread, I am trying to find out if my PC's are as good as they get, actaully good for what they are or if there is something somewhere that I can do to boost my PC's, along those lines. Thanks in advance.

SPECS:

PC1
Model: Dell Demension 8300 Desktop
Processor: 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 w/HT
RAM: 3GB Total (2GB & 1GB Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 400Mhz)
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi - Xtreme Music
Graphics: 256MB BFG Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT OC
HD: 120GB (Free - 60GB)

3DMark Score 2286 3DMarks
SM2.0 Score 1027
HDR/SM3.0 Score 932
CPU Score 665

PC2
Model: HP Pavillion zd8080US Notebook
Processor: 3.4GhzE Pentium 4 w/HT
RAM: 1GB Total (1GB Dual Channel DDR PC2-3200 400Mhz)
Sound: Conexant AC-97 (On-Board)
Graphics: 256MB(Shared) ATI Mobility Radeon X600
HD: 100GB (Free - 60GB)

3DMark Score 464 3DMarks :(
SM2.0 Score 217
HDR/SM3.0 Score N/A Not enough tests run :(
CPU Score 1004

I often wonder if that is the main purpose of the 3DMark programs is to get us all insecure about our systems and spend more money ;)

Your desktop is a very nice system I'd say. No need to rush into an upgrade there at all, and I am sure that gaming on that computer is a great experience.

Your notebook's graphics card is a lower end card as far as gaming goes, so don't be so surprised about your score. For a notebook, it is a good one!

Id agree with donaugual your systems are both highly superior, but the 3 gb of ram is a lot you dont need that much ram ive got 512 mb of ram and my system runs very good and i cant imagine how good your pc should run with 3gb. 1gb for a notebook is very good aswell.

i swear futuremark probably has deals with computer part manufacturers to keep on releasing subsequent versions of 3DMark to produce lower scores as the years go by. In the early days I'd get 10,000 then on 05 i would get 6000 and on 06 i get only 4000!!! the conspiracy of it all

Actually Toolpunk, you would probably notice a jump in your score (and more importantly, your gaming performance) if you change your ram configuration.

It sounds like you have 1 stick of 1Gb and another stick of 2Gb right? If that is the case, you are not utilizing the potential of "dual channel". You need two sticks that are the same sizes. I think you would actually get a performance increase if you downgraded to 2Gb of ram using 2 sticks of 1Gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back