In Win tou Review: All-Glass Case Offers Plenty of Flair, for a Price

Steve

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/794-in-win-tou/]https://www.techspot.com/review/794-in-win-tou/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

The concept is fairly interesting at the least, I'd like to see one in person myself, but I could never own one, especially for the cost.

Nice work Steve.

I wouldn't touch this case with a ten foot pole. It's simply the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Too many panels, too many screws, that top fan grill, the front, the handles, the everything. The only pros are you can brag about how much it cost, and the cooling performance. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I saw the case with my own eyes with a system inside, but I only have pictures to go by. Even at $200 I would not buy this (and I paid $120 for my case and a custom acrylic side panel I paid $200 for to be shipped from the US to Canada), but that's me.

Operating Temperatures and Wrap Up:
So basically for good cooling, you want to avoid Coolermaster and Bitfenix cases for the most part.

Pictures (suggestion):
The quality of the pictures look amazing in fullscreen, but the problem is, the pictures are bigger than my 1080p screen and I have to scroll to see the entire image, and that can't be good for getting the best look at what I'm looking at. Please make the fullscreen pictures small enough to fit 1080p screens without scrolling.

Last edited:
The quality of the pictures look amazing in fullscreen, but the problem is, the pictures are bigger than my 1080p screen and I have to scroll to see the entire image, and that can't be good for getting the best look at what I'm looking at. Please make the fullscreen pictures small enough to fit 1080p screens without scrolling.

Thanks glad you like the quality, the full resolution is 1920x1280 so it shouldn't be that bad on your screen. We upgraded the full size images last year from 1280x857 to the larger 1920x1280 so they could be better enjoyed on higher resolution displays.

Edit: Actually I just looked into what you are talking about since I have never noticed it. I found that the images just re-size to the window in Chrome and Firefox. So I am not sure why you have to scroll?

Thanks glad you like the quality, the full resolution is 1920x1280 so it shouldn't be that bad on your screen. We upgraded the full size images last year from 1280x857 to the larger 1920x1280 so they could be better enjoyed on higher resolution displays.

You're welcome! I still think the images are too tall. I wanted to go through all the photos you took but gave up after three because I wasn't getting the full picture. You obviously don't have to change it, but I have to say that I'm not a fan. Sorry.

You're welcome! I still think the images are too tall. I wanted to go through all the photos you took but gave up after three because I wasn't getting the full picture. You obviously don't have to change it, but I have to say that I'm not a fan. Sorry.

I am not sure what is wrong with your setup, I just tried on a tiny 22" screen and it all worked fine. Hell it seems to work fine on my mobile phone. What browser are you using?

I am not sure what is wrong with your setup, I just tried on a tiny 22" screen and it all worked fine. Hell it seems to work fine on my mobile phone. What browser are you using?

Google Chrome. This is what I see:
http://imgur.com/ow7Y9MB

That's strange I am using Chrome on my desktop and I see the actual 'IMAGE GALLERY' not just the image.

Furthermore if I view just the image as you have Chrome auto re-sizes it to fit the window and I have to click the image for the 1:1 ratio view.

That's strange I am using Chrome on my desktop and I see the actual 'IMAGE GALLERY' not just the image.

Furthermore if I view just the image as you have Chrome auto re-sizes it to fit the window and I have to click the image for the 1:1 ratio view.

I don't know what to tell you other than if I hold Ctrl and scroll down to make it smaller (67%), then click Reset to default, it goes back to how it was in the image I postded. If no one else complains then just leave it how it is and I'll just have to deal with it, but I have to say I have never seen fullscreen pictures that big before. Thanks for the replies. You went above and beyond, and I appreciate it.

Seeing it's not aimed at the ordinary consumer and InWin aren't going to be selling them by the crapperload I guess they have to overcharge as much as possible. They say beauty is in the eye of the beerholder and I reckon the more beer you have the more beautiful this case looks but the $800 asking price will surely bring on a hangover from hell.

I saw similar cases, only liquid-filled, years ago. You can still find a few videos on uTube about how to build an aquarium PC. I think those are even more aesthetically pleasing, once you get it working.

I was never a fan of inwin, the few lower end cases and psu's I've used were cheaply made and didn't have a nice look to them. but this case is pretty cool. maybe for $200 I might think about getting it.

Great review guys, I had only seen a few bits of info on this case and was actually hoping to see some actual reviews of it.

Looking through this case, that's kinda a disappointment that the case does not support the E-ATX size motherboard mostly because someone who would be spending the money on a case like this is probably going all out on their system like you said. It can be hard to find ATX motherboards that would even support Quad-SLI/CFX especially ones that don't cover up many functions of the motherboards (USB plugs, things like that). I could not justify that price without support like that (well I probably would not spend that much to begin with of course) because that limits you on your choices. Cool case, would be alot cooler thought at a 400 dollar price point as it is setup right now.

@Steve, Wasn't the Silencer MKIII PSU that you used the same one that burned up not to long ago, did you end up grabbing another/getting sent another?

Also Steve, was the Bitfenix Shinobi really that poor a contender :eek:, I noticed it at the bottom of the charts. I always liked that case for whatever reason though preferred that custom Bitfenix Shinobi HF Edition.

Last edited:
The idea using tempered glass + metal skeleton is interesting.. but, IMO the Tou design is somewhat too stylish, and the internal design is very poor I think.. I expected the internal design just like Lian Li's internal

See thru cases all have one giant problem, after 6mnts all the panels have a thin layer of dust on them and after 1 year you visibly start to see the dust bunnies in the hardest to reach nooks and corners.

Requires WAY to much cleaning to keep it looking nice.

Need I even mention $800?!?!? thats a pretty beefy video card's cost! If I had that kind of money to waste it would be on more SSD's or video cards etc.

What is glass like in terms of heat transfer? I'm guessing you wouldn't want to leave it near a window on a sunny day.

There is no way I would spend so much on a PC case but I must take my hat off to the folks who create theses innovative looking cases. I am bored rigid by the multitude of black boxes which seem to be the norm. If I had the time I would like to build a custom case.

Sorry, I think it is horrible.

Two things I like: (a) the cables hidden behind the rear panel, (b) semitransparent panels.

Internal design is just bad - it matches perfectly typical InWin cheapo crap. If I am to drop $800 for the case I fully expect ADVANCED level of cable management (I would suggest aluminum ducts/covers to route the cables) and internal design, especially in a transparent case. Imagine how those cables will look like behind the motherboard tray covered in dust?

External - 1) I have no particular concerns about the number of panels, but why keep screws for non-removable panels? Looks busy and, therefore, ugly in a case aspiring to have clean and sleek design.
2) Top grill with plastic/rubber grommets don't fit the overall look at all.
3) I don't think the designers understand that most of those buildings that they draw their inspiration from have a lot of functionality associated with particularly bold design decisions. In this case it is just waste of space.

See thru cases all have one giant problem, after 6mnts all the panels have a thin layer of dust on them and after 1 year you visibly start to see the dust bunnies in the hardest to reach nooks and corners.

Requires WAY to much cleaning to keep it looking nice.
Exactly.. even compressed air can only get about 90% of the dust off a metal surface. Each surface would have to wiped down inside that case and the only way to get it brand new looking after it got dusty would be to take the components out and wash the case.

Thanks for the replies. You went above and beyond, and I appreciate it.

I have the same experience as hahahanoobs... it's not that the picture is necessarily too big, but when looking at them in the gallery the top couple inches of my screen is chrome header stuff, then Techspot header (logo and name) then the picture. Only the top 60% of the picture is available without scrolling on my monitor (2048x1152 - yes I know that's a weird res). This means looking through the gallery involves scrolling on every picture. Perhaps one of those # things in the URL that makes the page jump down to a spot at the top of the pic would be enough to fix it. Only if you're bored though, we appreciate the response about it. :)

Great review too, and good choice to review it. Even for those of us with meager paychecks like checking out a Ferrari every now and then.

Back