Insert system disk error

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkroks

I have a wierd problem.

When I boot up, i get the error msg that says something like:
System disk error. Insert system disk and press any key to continue.

My hdds are both working. I did a funny test on em and they seem fine. It always gives me that error. the only way i can bypass it, is to insert a CD/DVD into my DVD-RW. It will read the disk and continue to load windows. If i don't have a disk in there, it gives me the error. I have tried changing CMOS to boot automatically from the HDD first, then the CD Rom second. still same problem. I have tried formatting and reinstalling windows = same problem. I have tried to do a repair console and fixboot = same problem after writing a new boot index.

My boot.ini file looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

what should i do to get rid of the msg?

It appears from your boot.ini that there is more than 1 instance of your OS installed otherwise your Windows dir wouldn't be labeled Windows.0...
I would try hooking that drive up as a slave and retrieving and backing up any important data and start over.

patio. :cool:

nope there is only one. see i was gonna use XP Pro. But the install buggad. So i just installed home again. then when i booted i erased all traces of the XP Pro. I could just format again i guess. just all the time to install all the drivers etc...

k well heres what i have done, from the beginning:

1. formatted > installed XP Home > same problem
2. recovery console > fixboot > exit > same problem
3. recovery console > fixmbr > exit > same problem
4. XP Home Setup > deleted partitions > formatted (again, using long option, not quick) using NTFS > installed windows > restarted without CD > same problem
5. Restarted with CD > downloaded new firmware for my DVD-RW drive (from v1.04 to v3.06) > installed > power down > power on after 30secs or so > same problem
6. restarted > recovery console > mkdiskraw 0 (deleted all mbr information etc) > installed windows XP Home SP2 > restarted without CD > same problem
7. restarted > recovery console > mkdiskraw 0 > then mkdiskraw 1 (yes i did it on both my harddrives) > installed XP on the first harddrive (0) > restarted without CD > same problem

and now i don't know what to do... any ideas? note that each time i get the same problem. it will give me the error of Disk Boot error. Please insert system disk and press any key to continue.
if i put any CD into the DVD-RW drive it will boot up properly.
I am at the point where i think i sould chuck my DVD-RW drive..

any ideas?

The best way to check this would be from a clean install power down and unplug both the power cable and the IDE cable from the burner and re-boot....if it boots properly than it's possible you have buggered that DVD drive with an incorrect firmware flash.

patio. :cool:

forgot to post back. i fixed the problem. it was booting from the wrong drive under the bios. there was a feature/setting in the bios and under some other sub items, to choose which hdd to choose to boot first. so damn easy yet i did all that... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back