Installed printer won't print

marklantis

I had a hp deskjet 5440 printer installed on window 7. Then I installed a HP PSC 1500 to use its scanner, which worked fine. Then I tried to use the 5440 printer and now neither printer will print. I've totally removed both printers and all drivers from registry and reinstalled. They still wont work. All drivers are installed. Explorer says "this device is working properply" and the port is set to lpt1. When a I print a document, it says an unknown error occured. When I try to access the printer's print properties, its says driver not installed event though I watched windows uppdate install it sucessfully. Any Ideas?

Go to HP and install the appropriate driver from there rather than the Windows Update supplied driver.

It appears that HP does not have a Windows 7 driver. Try the Windows Vista driver. If that doesn't work, you might be out of luck.

One more thing you could try is System Restore. You could try restoring to a point before you installed the scanner if your restore points go back that far. This won't help your scanner but it might help the printer to work.

LPT1 is the old style parallel cable and most printers today are USB.

If you can see the printer under Control Panel->Printer the right click on it->properties and look about for Print Test Page.
If that works, then it's NOT the drivers but likely the default printer choice.

Back