Installing a PCI video card...currently have a AGP video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't laugh. I bought an upgrade for my machine thinking I didn't have an AGP slot. Turns out, after I opened my machine, I do. My current card is installed in the AGP slot. I really want to keep my new card. I removed the AGP card and installed the PCI card. My computer wouldn't boot. Obviously it's not as simple as just removing one and installing another. I checked my BIOS and couldn't find anything anywhere regarding disabling the AGP slot. Maybe a jumper? I own a Compaq Presario 7000 series.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rick

Wow. Thanks for the help. I didn't want to open the case (don't know why) but under the device properties, it says that the display device is in the PCI bus 1. To me that means PCI not AGP. Oh well. I guess I can sell it on Ebay if I can't get it to work.

Just to update, I uninstalled the current video driver, uninstalled the AGP card, installed the PCI card and the computer will not even boot.

I love upgrading PC's

Rick

"Will not boot" means what?

If you have the vid card plugged in properly and it's functional then it should work. You could try resetting the CMOS memory.

Good question Nodsu, if his fix does not fix it for you then pull the PCI card out and then put it back in. I remember back in the PCI video card days so many people would not push the card all the way into the slot as they where scared of breaking something. So push it in.

Also what video card did you have and what did you "upgrade" too?

Just asking as it might be that you actually want to keep your old card as it is AGP.
Good luck!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back