Installing Case Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Nexus 120 mm case fan. When I started to install it, I saw that instead of having a small hole for the mounting screws, the holes on the fan went clear through the width of the fan and were about an inch in length. I have some extra fan mounting screws from the case but they're just short little things. So, my question is do I have to buy special screws or sleeves or something to mount this fan?

My case, an Antec Performance One, has a bracket that the fan goes on, if that makes any difference...

Thanks!

You can use the small screws. The holes go all the way through because some fans come with long bolts and nuts. Both types will work.

vegasgmc said:
You can use the small screws. The holes go all the way through because some fans come with long bolts and nuts. Both types will work.

Thanks for the reply, but to be sure I understand...the screws just dig right into the plastic of the fan?

Some fans don't use screws (not sure if this is the case for the fan you bought). Some use rubber ....... [what the heck are they called anyways]...... rubber..... things. :haha:

They are about an inch long, and you "pull" them through the fan holes instead of using screws. Again, don't know if this is the case, but thought I'd toss it out there just in case it helps.

if you've got brackets then you most likely have to remove the bracket from the case (they slide/snap), snap in the fan (make sure it's facing the right way), and slide/snap the plastic bracket back into place. this is how i've seen many a case do it, including my oen modded soho case.

DonNagual said:
Some fans don't use screws (not sure if this is the case for the fan you bought). Some use rubber ....... [what the heck are they called anyways]...... rubber..... things. :haha:

They are about an inch long, and you "pull" them through the fan holes instead of using screws. Again, don't know if this is the case, but thought I'd toss it out there just in case it helps.

It might be something like that I need. I went to the Nexus home site and I also did some Google searching. Any installation instructions were focused on plugging in the cords. There were a few reviews of the fans out there but none of them mentioned anything about installation.

They seem to be fairly popular fans for people who want a quieter computer so I was hoping someone here had actually installed one and could tell me...oh, you just need to get a set of ...whatever. :)

if you've got brackets then you most likely have to remove the bracket from the case (they slide/snap), snap in the fan (make sure it's facing the right way), and slide/snap the plastic bracket back into place. this is how i've seen many a case do it, including my oen modded soho case.

I do have a bracket, but it has four holes for screws. The fan doesn't snap in or anything.

Ah, well, thanks for all the suggestions!

Ok, I'll screw them in. Though my temporary solution of using garbage bag ties seems to be working rather well. <g>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back