Installing FFox extension on Vista startup crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemouse

Hi All,

I have a little program written that is sitting in the registry under Run, and it is supposed to check to see if a certain Firefox extension was installed and then execute "firefox.exe -install-global-extension myxtension.xpi". However, it seems to hang on windows startup due to either UAC, or windows defender or both.

Is there any way to get around this? I need to install the extension globally, so I could just copy it to the global extensions folder, but then UAC kicks in again and prompts/freezes my program.

If I wait about 3 minutes after vista starts to do this, it works fine, so it seems that Vista just hasn't finished loading something, or else blocks certain programs from running until all the vital system processes are up (which takes forever). I could always sleep my program for a couple of minutes, but that's less than ideal and am looking for a better solution.

Thanks!

*please note that I am trying to install a global addon and not a user specific one*

To clarify:

Instead of doing the -install-global thing, I am copying the file over the the Program FIles\Firefox\Extensions directory and then running firefox as administrator.

The problem is that the firefox.exe process is running in the background, but seems to hang if the copying/opening is done too close to login time.

If I don't open firefox the first time with my program, the user would have to run as administrator the first time or else the plug-in fails and doesn't prompt again.

So I need firefox to open with my program, but not crash as it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back