Installing new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

duh-huh-wha?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just found out that my mother board cant be upgraded with a processor faster than 2.1 so i want to install a new mother and then get a faster processor. the thing is i have never built a computer and i dont really know what im getting myself into when installing a new mother board. i just want a mb that i can use all my old parts and upgrade my processor.

specs:
AMD 2400+ @ 2.0
512 DDR ram pc2100
radeon 9600 vid card
80 gb hard drive
AM37L MB
for more info http://www.emachines.com/support/su...?prodName=T2482

i was thinking about getiing a KT600 and then a amd xp 3000+ mb since as far as i can tell it is compatible with all the stuff i have now

The leap from a 2400+ to a 3000+ within the XP-range is hardly worth it. In theory you should get 25% more speed, but practically the difference is not that great.

Save your money for an AMD64 with a socket-939 motherboard.
Look at this post: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic18265.html
Abit AV8 Via Motheboard & AMD 64 3400+ Cpu $290

CPU Integrated Dual Channel Memory Controller
- Four 184-pin DIMM sockets (Un-buffered Non-ECC DIMM)
- Supports Dual Channel DDR 400/333/266 (Max. 4GB)

DDR266 is what you have. The rest will go with it as well.
You will need to reinstall Windows anyway, if you change mobo.

If you went to an Athlon 64 you dont have to go all the way to socket 939, However, the socket 939 is DUAL DDR and the socket 754 is not. However, socket 754 is a definite improvement. You may find it depends how much you want to spend on a processor and what is available. It also depends on whether the motherboard has DDR or DDR2 memory sockets and whether the motherboard has VGA or PCI-Express video card support.

I recommend you compare the prices on the different platforms.

If you plan on buying a new motherboard and a new processor the 754 socket athlon 64 makes sense. The XP Processors 2800 and above have risen in price, so compare the prices on the processors and the motherboards.

Buying a socket-754 is a mistake, they are already being phased out.
939 is the IN-thing and will be for quite a while. Also, that Abit AV8 takes regular DDR SDRAM, as well as dual DDR. Read the specs. I just got one of those mobos last week.

He was asking for a mobo to use everything BUT the old processor, remember?

If you are so smart when are they being phased out? Give me the exact date.

Not everyone has enough money to buy the latest and greatest. Apparently you didnt read his post. He wanted something that would work with his gear. Apperently he does not want to purchase new RAM and a new video card. I did not say anyone had to buy a socked 939 or a socket 754. I dont claim to be a person with my nose in the air either.

It does not matter if there is something newer that a person can not afford. I did never say not to buy a socket 939. I said to compare prices. An intelligent person is smart enough to make their own decision.

Be advised that if a person wants to use their existing RAM and Motherboard there may be a socket 939 motherboard that can do that. I am not really sure. I have not looked at every motherboard available. I know there are motherboards that have socket 939 and support DDR, but I dont know if they have models that support VGA and socket 939.

Yes it might be better to have a nice new socket 939 with DDR2 and the fastest processor you can buy but the consumer gets to choose. Just make your choice an informed decision. I explained that socket 754 is not DUAL DDR. Socket 754 is perfectly viable and would make a nice computer that will run for years to come.

Not everyone upgrades their computer every 3 months.

No need to get snotty with me!
See that Abit mobo here: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=175

Just because I have it, does not mean that is the best or greatest. If I had not won it for free in a competition I would have bought something else.
But as it happens, it supports all his old gear (and MY old gear), including AGP and has a few bells and whistles such as Raid, Firewire, USB2, SPDIF IN/OUT etc. thrown in as well, and the offer as mentioned is better than an equivalent 754 board.
'Nuff said.

realblackstuff is right about this one, i was looking for a new system a few weeks ago(I'm always looking thou) and socket 939 is the best thing atm.

mobo

heh u guys really go at it huh. well any way thanks for all the help i think i have made some wise choices based on all of you guys info. Thanks again :grinthumb

duh-huh-wha? said:
heh u guys really go at it huh. well any way thanks for all the help i think i have made some wise choices based on all of you guys info. Thanks again :grinthumb

can we know the decision?, it's nice to know what a persons choice is after giving certain arguments :hotbounce

mobo

turns out im pretty good at convinceing my parents to get me a whole new computer all together heh ehehe

Specs:
p4 3.2
1 gb ram @ 7200
nvidia 6800 256mb <--- dunno if its good but its cost alot so it must :p
80 Gb hardie
comes with free printer ehehe (hiden charges)
windows xp home and other crap all for 1000$ : good deal?

but i still wanna thanxxx u all for your opinions
i lucked out this time but until we meet again MERRY Christmehansawansika

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back