Intel AMD 9590 Verse 4820 Shootout on my new rig-Which Do You Think Will Win?

Which do you think will be the better performer? AMD 9590 Vs Intel 4820k [Overclocked]to around 4.6]

• AMD 9590

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WinnRig

It's going to be interesting. I've heard so much contrasting information about Intel Vs AMD. I'm curious as heck to see which is better. So...

Former Rig
Haf 922 Mid Tower
AMD 9590
Running at stock- could not overclock this.
Probably because my 750 Watt PS couldn't take the voltage.
Noctua NH-D15
Gigabyte 999FXA-Ud3
AMD Radeon Gamer Ram 2400mhz
Twin Asus Gtx-660 [Not TI]
540 GB Evo

My four year old 750 Watt PS just could not take that much voltage so I decided that if I'm going to replace the PS I might as well replace the case. Hey and if I have to do all that work I might as well Sidewise Grade to Intel Mother Board and CPU.

I changed my Ram for Two reasons. 1st on a benchmark it came in as very slow. 2nd AS-Rock compatibiliy page had the G.Skill Trident 2400mhz Ram as the only compatible 8gb 2400mhz chip.Sure enough XMP 1.3 Profile 1 recognised it as a 2400mhz chip. No Problem

So they say in for a penny in for a pound.
Sent the Ram back to Amazon for Refund and my CPU is on Ebay [Auction 161401154001] right now bidding is up to $167.50 hopefully by Sunday it'll be in the low to mid $200.00 range. So I won't' take a really big beating.

I chose the 4820 because I hope that my SLI Video Cards running in PCI-3 mode would be better utilized by this CPU. It also has a reputation as a overclocking beast. So far I can get a stable OC to 4600

New Rig
AreoCool 540 - Awesome Case, Cubular
Intel 4820K Ivy
As Rock 79 Extreme 4
G.Skill Trident 2400 mhz ram
Twin GTX-660
EVGA Supernova 1000 Watt PS
540Gb Evo

So far the Intel seems to run smoother but the verdict is not in yet.
Amazingly enough Windows accepted my upgrade and I didn't have to reinstalll.

Problem is that I have 4 years of garbage in that system, also stuff left over from the AMD so last night I backed everything up and did a fresh install of Windows.
Rock and Roll. Out with the old and in with the new.

Anyone have a prediction about which will be the better performer.?

I have a few different Benchmarking Utilities including Passmark and Furmark.
I'll post the performance as soon as I get done with my testing.

The reason you can't overclock your 9590 is because your motherboard has weak VRMs and VRM cooling. Also if you have a revision3 board that might be why too.
The 4820k is a far far superior CPU not sure where you'd get any conflicting information.
And no your FX9590 is certainly not holding back SLI 660.
BTW furmark is a gpu test.

Last edited:
HelloKitty, I agree the Gigabyte board wasn't the ideal choice for a power-house like the Amd 9590.

I had a mishap and was in a bind and bought a board to replace a Asus board that I destroyed through carelessness. It was bought to go with a Thuban 1090T. Perfectly adequate for that. Then I got into the upgrade spirit.

You are correct I would never have purchased that particular board to run the 9590, like putting a corvette engine in a Camry.
But it was able to run at stock pretty much without issue.

For a 9590 Overclock I couldn't get as far as to blame the reputed llc because my system would have trouble booting and if put to sleep, had trouble waking up. So the power supply which was 4 years old was overwhelmed by the High V requirements of the 9590 combined with the Gtx-660 in Sli

The AsRock g79 Extreme board was chosen for it's Value and High customer satisfaction.

Only Asus and Intel had boards near the price. I'm trying to avoid Asus, not because they put out bad product but because if something happens after your retailers warranty is over, they have a reputation for lousy RMA service. If you go to New Egg or Amazon and check the negatives of Asus compared to MSI or Gigabyte, Asus has a really bad record of customer satisfaction when a product is/becomes defective. This is my opinion based on the high percentage of 1 star reviews and comments from many disgruntled customers. In my opinion, if you get a good Asus Board you are happy. If your board goes bad past the no questions asked retailers return policy then you are in for a very rocky road.

The AsRock 79 Extreme 4 had current reviews where buyers said that the boards bought on Amazon had newer Bios that instantly recognized the Ivy Bridge processors. A valid concern of mind, and if you discount 1 guy who bought it two years ago and didn't come off very credibly, the board had a 4.9 rating on Amazon. At $199.00 for a full featured board I considered it worth taking the risk over the better known names.

Almost went with the Intel board but the AsRock had more features. More USB and Sata ports. Just seemed more robust. In addition Intel is getting out of the MB Biz, so I have my doubts about whether they will continue to support legacy products.

I did 2 or 3 performance tests that aren't GPU related. Although there is evidence that certain games are CPU Dependent and a better CPU will increase Frame Rate. This is one of the things that I want to see. My Intel 4820 and AsRock Motherboard Support PCI 3 and it's supposed to have more memory channels for increased performance in SLI. So the GPU tests are relevant.

I'm not trying to be a AMD or Intel Fanboy. My past experience has been with AMD and this is a foray into the Intel World and I felt like putting up a poll and chatting about it. I'm pretty neutral, I'm going to do the benchmarks, judge how the computer performs and then make my opinion.

I do have doubts about whether my experience is going to be totally fair because I wasn't using the best MB with the 9590 and my PSU wasn't up to the task..

In addition the AMD 9590 CPU was running with 4 years of detritus in Win 7, and for the Intel CPU I just did a clean install of Windows.

But it wouldn't have been fair to test it on a system that still had residuals of AMD Drivers left behind too.

Last edited:
The verdict is in.
Intel is the winner.

I have a stable OC of 4.4MHZ which is consistant with the stable overclock that others are getting.

In the Benchmarks
Performance Test 8.0
AMD FX-9590 - Summary 4038
Intel I7 4280 - Summary 4,918

Fire Strike 3D Mark
AMD FX-9590 - 7397
Intel I7 4280 - 7744

Nova Bench Score
AMD FX-9590 1727
Intel I7 4280 - 1987

Strangely enough the only hold out was Furmark. My frame rate in Furmark went down from around 64FPS to 60FPS in the Benchmark at 1080P

Also I've noticed that with the Intel I don't feel like I have a Space Heater in my room! That AMD really was a hot chip.

The 9590 uses a huge amount of power but a solid 600w power supply should be no problem.
There's really no comparison between the two CPUs the intel is far far faster, so enjoy your benching it's a nice CPU.
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/21?vs=995

With respect you are underestimating the Power requirements of two GTX-660 in SLI the two together will use around 300 Watts at load add 220 Watts for the FX-9590 a 600 Watt PSU is cutting it too tight. You might slide by on a 700 Watt but 800 or 1000 Watt is ideal. By the way my 4 year old 750 Watt Coolermaster G2 couldn't handle it.

This time I bought a 1000 Watt EVGA PS for future expand ability and peace of mind.

Back