Intel announces record $11.1 billion revenue for third quarter

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Intel has reported its best-ever quarter, with revenue surpassing $11 billion for the first time in the company's 42 year history. Revenue reached $11.1 billion, up 18% from the year-ago period, while income totaled $3 billion. Both the PC Client Group and Data Center Group grew 3% sequentially, with record mobile and server processor sales. Atom CPU and chipset revenue was down 4% sequentially at $396 million. The average selling price for processors was approximately flat from the second quarter, but up significantly on-year. R&D plus MG&A spending was $3.2 billion.

The third quarter ended in the company's forecasted range of $10.8 billion and $11.2 billion and it expects to see even more cash next quarter, with revenue pegged for $11.4 billion, give or take $400 million. "Looking forward, we continue to see a healthy worldwide demand for computing products of all types and are particularly excited about our next-generation processor, codenamed Sandy Bridge, and the many new designs around our Intel Atom processors in everything from the new Google TV products to a wide array of tablets based on Windows, Android and MeeGo operating systems," said Intel CEO Paul Otellini.

Permalink to story.

While everyone else is poor? Screw you intel.

I hope you get sued by AMD again for being thieves, your company is full of failures, you have no innovation whats so ever.

Guest said:

I hope you get sued by AMD again for being thieves, your company is full of failures, you have no innovation whats so ever.

LOL, i guess this person can't afford Intel CPU's

Guest said:

Do you not like that Intel's processors out perform AMD by such a large margin?

AMD would have died a long time ago, except for the investment made by Intel. Check Intel's holdings of AMD stock. They needed to keep them alive in order to avoid any anti-trust suits.

i hope intel will produce much affordable processors in the coming days as their consumer treat.

dustin_ds3000 said:
Guest said:

ROFL, so you see where your money ended up right? were you one of the lucky ones to pay for the i7 950 before the price cut in half? I think its logical for intel to score these numbers since there are people like you that buy overpriced chips just because they can afford them.

Intel does make the best chips but it sucks not to have alternatives to control profit margins on the market.

nickblame said:
dustin_ds3000 said:
Guest said:

ROFL, so you see where your money ended up right? were you one of the lucky ones to pay for the i7 950 before the price cut in half? I think its logical for intel to score these numbers since there are people like you that buy overpriced chips just because they can afford them.

Intel does make the best chips but it sucks not to have alternatives to control profit margins on the market.

nope i was one of the lucky ones who got an E8500 for $150 and a week later it was $200, and that was in jan of 09

I think it was already stated. Intel needs AMD alive due to Monopoly and antitrust reasons. If they didn't, AMD would be dead. But they invest in them for that one reason. They obviously know AMD isn't catching up to them anytime soon.

Despite the markup, I am still more likely to buy Intel because of performance. And while you can get an AMD quad core for around $100, you can spend about $20 more and get a dual core Intel processor with the same or more cache, that also performs better in general. I certainly want AMD to be successful, but I usually end up seeing more benefit by going with a reasonably priced Intel part.

Despite the markup, I am still more likely to buy Intel because of performance. And while you can get an AMD quad core for around $100, you can spend about $20 more and get a dual core Intel processor with the same or more cache, that also performs better in general. I certainly want AMD to be successful, but I usually end up seeing more benefit by going with a reasonably priced Intel part.

Agreed. Most of my system build customers generally think along the same lines.
My personal preference is also for Intel. One reason subjective, and two reasons objective...
Firstly; I lost a substantial wager when AMD introduced locked multiplier CPU's :blackeye:
Documentation is the ongoing problem with AMD CPU's. Core stepping and revisions are easily deduced with Intel CPU's. All the relevant information is easily retrieved from the Intel site. No so with AMD...the site(s) offer little help - except as an example of "How to Construct Websites Lacking Substance and Style" , and generally if anyone wants to find out stepping/revision information it requires third party assistance.
Most importantly, at least from a builders perspective, is the fact that ALL CPU's contain architectural bugs and errata. Intel has for years made this documentation freely available (sample here- click on Technical documents> Datasheets > Errata (for example) tab within the .pdf). AMD do not, and have never made this information readily accessible.

Back