Intel boss Pat Gelsinger says AMD 'is in the rearview mirror' following Alder Lake release

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Like the infamous Steve Ballmer, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger is a man unafraid to say what he feels—though in a less manic fashion than Microsoft’s former CEO. The team blue boss recently posted a video looking back at the last 11 months he’s spent at the head of the company, including the launch of Alder Lake, which he says has left AMD “in the rearview mirror.”

Gelsinger’s LinkedIn video lists 11 Intel highlights across last year while also looking to the future. Eleven is both the number of years he was away from the company (Gelsinger left in September 2009 to become EMC’s CEO/president) and the number of months he’s been back.

A lot of Gelsinger’s top 11 consists of the general fluff one expects from CEOs. He describes his personal superpower as the “passion and optimism” he has that “technology truly can change and improve the life of every person on the planet,” which is unlikely to get him into the X-Men.

The CEO also notes that Intel’s plan for five nodes in four years —Intel 7, Intel 4, Intel 3, Intel 20A, and Intel 18A—is on or ahead of schedule, before talking about Alder Lake. The 12th-gen chips have been some of Intel’s best-received CPUs in years, earning excellent reviews from critics and consumers alike, and their release coincided with AMD losing ground in the Steam Survey for the first time in months. We’ll get to see how they fare in the laptop market starting next month.

"Alder Lake. All of a sudden... Boom! We are back in the game. AMD in the rearview mirror in clients, and never again will they be in the windshield; we are just leading the market," Gelsinger gushed.

Gelsinger might be full of confidence in the face of AMD right now, but team red has plenty up its sleeve. CEO Lisa Su announced the Ryzen 7 5800X3D at CES, which the company calls the number one gaming CPU. Su also teased the Zen 4 architecture set to drop later this year. But whoever comes out on top in this battle, having more options is usually good news for consumers.

Permalink to story.

:D bold statement. I'm really happy they're catching up tho. Competition is a wonderful thing. Can't wait for the Ryzen 6000 (7000?) series, whichever comes for desktop next. Need them PCI-E 5 SSDs <3

I love the big talk (By love, of course I actually mean hate) but there's nothing indicating to me that they won't just get stuck on another node for many more years than they anticipated to. Even today while they were able to get a few chips past AMD it was mostly on the back of pushing ridiculous amounts of of power on those chips. Sure the cost efficient ones are still *slightly* better than Zen3 but they also decided to just jump ahead of schedule when they knew AMD wouldn't have anything ready.

They're doing this on easy mode: not saying AMD will bounce back but when the pendulum swings back to their side they could potentially say "Look, Alder lake is behind us now, even your Raptor Lake chips are at best about equal but we're going to do this on basically half the power draw and cooling and mobo requirements"

And if you want core density well, not sure intel still has anything that can touch Epyc chips on the data centers and those have better-than-expected adoption rates even now so that's not any comfort either.

What, are they already bribed yet again Dell and other companies to ensure they wont be buying from competition?
Seems like the fine thay had to pay was a good investment and cheap way to reduce competition capacity. Sure Intel have more money to throw at R&D and buy talents from AMD - but aMD is focused, have great minds and solid ideas and I think Intel might be surprised yet again looking at themself in the rear mirror.

Pat and intel fanbois that support this kind of cheap, arrogant talk claiming to predict the future while completely disregarding the past, forgetting they got they behinds spanked just 1 year ago by AMD and now underestimating AMD again, will just set themselves for both disappointment and ridicule when they fail.

I can't wait for them to eat their own words 6 months from now. I have my popcorn ready for the mockery they will get in comments when Zen4 beats Raptor Lake.

I like competition, I don't like arrogance and ignorance combined (nor separate either).

Funny statement but it will make this competition more interesting. He's in charge of a multi billion company so at least he has ball to say such thing.

Personally I will still support AMD if they can keep their price reasonable. I don't mean cheap cause it's time for AMD to step up and say: these are my top quality CPUs and they deserve that premium price. I don't chase after high-end CPUs so I'm waiting for the 7600x (for example).

Let's wait and see if this statement will be a nice meme or not.

Not sure if hubris served Intel well in the past, but I‘d say ‚you do you Intel‘.

While you can say that Intel is ahead on desktop right now (mind the teething issues), not sure if Pat G is as confident looking at how their data center, hedt and mobile margins are doing.

What, are they already bribed yet again Dell and other companies to ensure they wont be buying from competition?
I wouldn't assume they ever stopped: it really was mostly the DIY market that basically knocked down the door wide open and you could easily see most integrators and manufacturers like the ones you mention, had to wait a year or two for their contracts to expire.

Worst still for laptops: Ryzen has been just far and away a better option for any laptop and they're still fairly difficult to buy. Most laptops are basically still crippled with tiger lake chips like right now.

Now I am not sure that intel still pays to *not* have AMD on it but by paying substantially to give them discounts and great margins on most models it basically ends up doing the same.

I loved Ryzen 3000 series cause of the 3600 which was great for the price but 5000 series were expensive

Just to be super clear: no argument there. AMD showed the world that without intel breathing down their necks, they're just like them: Scum that will exploit the market and artificially inflate prices with no regard for anything.

and they didn't make the successor to the 3600.

On this however I feel I do need to push back: they did, it's called 5600G.

It's not *exactly* the same since the 3600 was closer to the 3600x to the point it was pointless to get the x version.

However since the node is smaller you do get something for the slightly wider gap (But honestly not as wide as people think it is: 5600G still beats a 3600x any day of the week) and honestly trading those missing 16mb of L3 cache is well worth it if you basically get graphics that as I constantly say on other stories, are already *better* than the bottom end entries Nvidia and even AMD shamelessly still try to sell like the 1030 or the 550.

So no it's not cheap enough (A glaring flaw or all Zen3 chips) and it's not as good of a deal as the 3600 was but getting actually usable-for-gaming integrated graphics and a chip that when you add a GPU can basically keep up on every single gaming situation except 1080p at over 200FPS then it's still a deal many more people should consider instead of the usual which is what you did: forget the 5600G even exists.

I love the big talk (By love, of course I actually mean hate) but there's nothing indicating to me that they won't just get stuck on another node for many more years than they anticipated to. Even today while they were able to get a few chips past AMD it was mostly on the back of pushing ridiculous amounts of of power on those chips. Sure the cost efficient ones are still *slightly* better than Zen3 but they also decided to just jump ahead of schedule when they knew AMD wouldn't have anything ready.

They're doing this on easy mode: not saying AMD will bounce back but when the pendulum swings back to their side they could potentially say "Look, Alder lake is behind us now, even your Raptor Lake chips are at best about equal but we're going to do this on basically half the power draw and cooling and mobo requirements"

And if you want core density well, not sure intel still has anything that can touch Epyc chips on the data centers and those have better-than-expected adoption rates even now so that's not any comfort either.

Competition is good and you expect this kinda talk from a CEO but PAT is so new he literally had nothing to do with ADL-S so I do find that amusing.

Hah...

They said this when thunderbird chips hit 1ghz stably and coppermine 1.13ghz cpus were forced to halt production due to instabilities.

They said it again with the memory controller moved on die for AMD and TRUE dual core cpus were flowing to gamers unabated. (pentium-d anyone? ... uugh)

They are on their 3rd attempt to challenged amd/nvidia for a decent gaming dGPU

Intel has the same formula since the beginning.

make something decent
get fat
get lazy
get punched in the groin
get embarassed
fix it ... repeat.

this will not change .. only through a D-punch does intel really innovate.

"Alder Lake. All of a sudden... Boom! We are back in the game. AMD in the rearview mirror in clients, and never again will they be in the windshield; we are just leading the market,"

Wonderful news! Does this mean we get to look forward to seven years of 6P + 4E CPUs with minimal real world performance gains but ever increasing prices?

Just to be super clear: no argument there. AMD showed the world that without intel breathing down their necks, they're just like them: Scum that will exploit the market and artificially inflate prices with no regard for anything.
I don't understand, all the AMD fan boys were telling me AMD was a pro bono publico company that cared about gamers? You make it sound as if they are a corporation focused on maximizing their profits and could give a rats *** about gamers, like Intel. Next you will be telling us Nvidia is just as bad as AMD and Intel!

Hubris is a disease sIntel has never figured out how to shed. Even while they are getting their butt spanked in server and HPC market, somehow, Alder Lake is the be-all and end-all to AMD. This guy is a clown with an over-inflated ego.

Grow up, sIntel, or soon you'll be a bug splattered on AMD's windshield.

I remember we were so happy when AMD became competitive again. I celebrated it as I also hoped that competition will bring prices down. Well, it didn't.
This time I don't have high hopes. Should Intel be more competitive with their CPUs we will see what its real impact will be. Maybe it was cartelling that didn't let prices down, and of course we had the covid, supply chain mess afterwards, but AMD is still nowhere to be seen in the value segment of the CPU market. I don't see how the old rules of supply and demand make any sense in today's CPU and GPU markets.

Aggressive talk from Pat. But we have strong competition right now and prices haven’t really gone down. An i5 still costs the same as it always did, i7’s cost way more than they used to and they even added an i9! Of course we have competition from AMD who’s products start at around $250 and go beyond Intel in pricing.

I’d rather get more for $200 than to be able to get some all singing and dancing i9 or R9 for $600-$800.

Seems like the fine thay had to pay was a good investment and cheap way to reduce competition capacity. Sure Intel have more money to throw at R&D and buy talents from AMD - but aMD is focused, have great minds and solid ideas and I think Intel might be surprised yet again looking at themself in the rear mirror.
Direct bribes and illegal tactics were replaced by lavish meetings in vacation spots, expensive dinner "meetings" and goods written off as line items in the advertising ledger. Also, Intel "chips in" to cover some advertising costs for companies that use their processors. If the Intel logo is shown anywhere during an OEM advertisement Intel helped pay it. It's legal and common.

Back