Intel Core i7-9750H vs i7-8750H Review: CPUs for Laptops

My Alienware 15" laptop came with the i7 8750H 16GB DDR4 and GTX 1080.

To be perfectly honest, any i7 will shred through internet browser tasks, can edit 4K video and can be gamed on so long as you have at least a GTX 1060.

Step into the RTX line of laptops and you've got serious mobile power.

Last edited:
My Alienware 15" laptop came with the i7 8950HK, 16GB DDR4 and GTX 1080.

To be perfectly honest, any i7 will shred through internet browser tasks, can edit 4K video and can be gamed on so long as you have at least a GTX 1060.

Step into the RTX line of laptops and you've got serious mobile power.

The 8950 is an i9 processor....

You can ram more cores and more apparent boost speed in there all you like, but without a better process you're up against the limit of notebook cooling.

They key to unlocking all the performance of pretty much any of the Intel mobile chips that are constrained by their TDP/thermal throttling is to undervolt them.

It works a charm. You get less heat, less fan noise, more battery life, less throttling and ultimately more performance because of it.

Any of the quad core 8th gen or better chips it is a no brainer.

Get this 9750H, see if you can knock off 100mV or more on the core, cache and IGP then watch the performance increase.

Thanks, but no thanks!

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Spec-Melt-L1TF-MDS-Laptop-Run
" Spectre/Meltdown/L1TF/MDS Mitigation Costs On An Intel Dual Core + HT Laptop
the default/out-of-the-box mitigations dropped the performance by 18% or 25% when disabling Hyper Threading."

Oh, and there are more "mitigations to come", of course.

Here's how Intel (mobsters) intended to fix things:
https://www.techpowerup.com/255563/...ty-to-suppress-knowledge-of-mds-vulnerability
"Intel Tried to Bribe Dutch University to Suppress Knowledge of MDS Vulnerability"

We're not reporting on that now, are we? That could frighten our customers.

This review could be rephrased with a 2 line table with the 2 CPUs. Why work this much, when we have a just a few Mhz difference?
More interesting would be to see how i9 9880H fares...

You can ram more cores and more apparent boost speed in there all you like, but without a better process you're up against the limit of notebook cooling.

They key to unlocking all the performance of pretty much any of the Intel mobile chips that are constrained by their TDP/thermal throttling is to undervolt them.

It works a charm. You get less heat, less fan noise, more battery life, less throttling and ultimately more performance because of it.

Any of the quad core 8th gen or better chips it is a no brainer.

Get this 9750H, see if you can knock off 100mV or more on the core, cache and IGP then watch the performance increase.

Undervolting will help, but a problem with some of these gaming laptops, especially the Dell Gaming line and the Alienware m line, is that Dell puts a "power limit throttle" to prevent the CPUs from surpassing 45W. So you can undervolt on these laptops, but power limit can still be reached and it will still throttle. The only way I've seen this can be prevented is to disable the Turbo Boost, which will decrease performance.

Undervolting will help, but a problem with some of these gaming laptops, especially the Dell Gaming line and the Alienware m line, is that Dell puts a "power limit throttle" to prevent the CPUs from surpassing 45W. So you can undervolt on these laptops, but power limit can still be reached and it will still throttle. The only way I've seen this can be prevented is to disable the Turbo Boost, which will decrease performance.

Of course you'll still hit the power limit in some scenarios but the performance increase can (and will be) significant. That is only one of the significant improvements you gain.

A 25 percent increase in performance is possible with only undervolting on good chips, that is not a joke!

When you're not at full load which is likely the majority of the time the chip will hang onto higher boost speeds, for longer. It's the best way to get the most potential from these parts, I have spent a fair bit of time experimenting with it myself.

Watch some Jarrod's Tech video reviews of laptops and you'll see the benefit of undervolting. On many designs, the 6 core chips are power limit or thermal throttling at the stock settings but with a 0.1 to 0.15v undervolt he gets full all-core turbo performance from the CPU.

However there's no way that any reasonably portable laptop will be able to cool an 8 core chip enough to achieve the full all-core turbo. The good news is that within the same power envelope, multicore-aware apps will still see more performance from an 8 core chip running at slightly lower speed than a 6-core chip at higher speed. You'll still get higher performance but whether it's worth the $£€, well that's up to you.

My tuned 8750h on a hero 2 gets 3000 cb on r20, disappointing to see so much performance locked behind stock settings

One big omission here; early youtube reviews of this new chip are showing ~5 degrees less thermals coming off the 9750h which is significant as 8750h was always too hot forcing laptop fans (especially in idle) to run too high

Hi!
I didn't see, did you take into account thermal throttling? As I heard the Areo 15 is not excellent thermal-wise and does throttle a lot on the CPU. Might be the CPU's didn't unleash their full power and because of that we didn't see a difference?
About real-wolrd performance, I think undervolting+pad+work on the heat sink (by a professional like iunlock or very carefully with much guidance) can solve the thermal issue very well,so it's not that far-fetched. Then the frequencies could to be checked, interesting to know the result and the comparison of the two.

One big omission here; early youtube reviews of this new chip are showing ~5 degrees less thermals coming off the 9750h which is significant as 8750h was always too hot forcing laptop fans (especially in idle) to run too high

Thanks for this comment. This info is exactly what I was looking for in the comparison article. I'm the kind of person who is willing to pay a bit more for the newer version for exactly that kind of improvement even if horsepower is almost the same.

Thanks for this comment. This info is exactly what I was looking for in the comparison article. I'm the kind of person who is willing to pay a bit more for the newer version for exactly that kind of improvement even if horsepower is almost the same.

Exactly! Not everything boils down to performance: lower thermals mean better longevity...

Back