Intel Core i9-11900K Review: Not a Great Flagship CPU

The pinnacle of intel's failures. Has 2 less cores, usually performs worse than the 10900k.Why would a gamer choose this over a 10900k? Furthermore, Alder lake is so close. 11 series is like an april fools joke. All that engineering effort for an inferior series and the timing.... Everything about 11th gen is wrong.

o06ddpdiwwf11.jpg

In a way this isn't soooo bad. It's a backported design that has double digit IPC gains. A last hurrah on 14nm. RIP. And AMD's 625 ST score doesn't look as impressive now. It's also the first part Mr. Keller had a hand in. These chips will do the job in prebuilt machines no problem, while Intel readies Alderlake. That will be the real one to get excited about if you're a gamer/creator or follow the tit for tats between Intel and AMD.

In a way this isn't soooo bad. It's a backported design that has double digit IPC gains. A last hurrah on 14nm. RIP. And AMD's 625 ST score doesn't look as impressive now. It's also the first part Mr. Keller had a hand in. These chips will do the job in prebuilt machines no problem, while Intel readies Alderlake. That will be the real one to get excited about if you're a gamer/creator or follow the tit for tats between Intel and AMD.
No, Keller had nothing to do with this CPU.

At least we have some competition on the lower end. AMD should have something ready at the 200$ range soon or at least announce something.

The new series was designed in 2019. Keller led chip designs won't be out until 2023. Chip design and fab production takes years.

Wow, that CPU is HOT 🔥
It seems to be as bad as Bulldozer. I used to have an FX-8350, man that thing was hot.
This thing is bad. But it’s nowhere near the dumpster fire that was the AMD FX range. This thing is usually within a few percentage points of its competitors at least for the most part. The FX parts were often being beaten by double digits from CPUs half it’s price! (for example an i3 4170 would beat the FX8350 in most games of the day)

This CPU has attracted a lot of very negative press. But the only things wrong with it is the price and naming. If this was a $400 i7 people would be recommending it.

This thing is bad. But it’s nowhere near the dumpster fire that was the AMD FX range. This thing is usually within a few percentage points of its competitors at least for the most part. The FX parts were often being beaten by double digits from CPUs half it’s price! (for example an i3 4170 would beat the FX8350 in most games of the day)
At least FX-8350 offered 8 cores vs 2 on i3.

This thing offers against AMD 4 cores less with much higher power consumption and zero upgrade paths.

All in all, there are zero reasons to get this over AMD.

I should send a sentinel to user bitchmark (not a typo) to find out if the 11900K is currently the fastest processor on the market. The Bulldozer-based FX-8150 chip takes that privilege if high clocks are all that matter to UB.

Oh and am impressed about the 11900K for managing to beat my power consumption prediction by over 10 points. Bravo

Last edited:
The best, the Absolute Best thing to come out of this release is userbenchmarks' totally shameless excuse-laden defense of Intel 11th Gen and this CPU specifically, while at the same time grasping for any excuse to trash AMD.

Before this, their bias and pandering was merely obvious but now it is utterly shameless. That website reads like the backside of a dog limping away from a fight with its tail between its legs.

Not all cpu workloads are like cinebench or games. Buy rocket lake only if you use AVX512 heavily: should perform 1.5-2X better than comet lake. Anybody has 11900K linX/linpack benchmark results in gflops? But AVX512 is very hot, could be as bad as 250-300W consumed by cpu...

UserBenchmark on the 11900K is a howl (thanks for the tip,.Makste & Lew). Here they accuse AMD and reviewers of exactly what Intel marketing - with its 10x budget - has long been notorious for. Which IIRC includes direct support to UB itself (!), along with even worse things like illegally stifling competition.
Little effort is made [by Intel] to counter widespread disinformation such as: “it uses too much electricity”, or the classic: “it needs more cores”. ... reviewers ... appear better incentivized to bury Intel's products rather than review them realistically. ... A mind-numbing list of irrelevant “scientific” and rendering benchmarks are presented ... unrepresentative canned game benchmarks are chosen ... Different games, mostly unplayed by real users, are cherry picked for each “review”. ... AMD’s marketers circle overhead coordinating narratives to ensure another feast of blue blubber ensues. Credible benchmark data ... is the exception rather than the rule.

UserBenchmark on the 11900K is a howl (thanks for the tip,.Makste & Lew). Here they accuse AMD and reviewers of exactly what Intel marketing - with its 10x budget - has long been notorious for. Which IIRC includes direct support to UB itself (!), along with even worse things like illegally stifling competition.
I agree that userbenchmarks reviews are poor and I’m not defending them or the 11900Ks value here.

However this 11900K part for $540 is a hell of a lot better value today than the 1800X part was from AMD at $500 in 2017. Yet the reviews from much of the tech press of the 1800X were favourable of it. Certainly absolutely no where near as negative as they have been for this part.

I do believe there is some bias in the tech press towards AMD. Maybe this was because for the longest time they were the underdogs and charged less for their parts than Intel. It still exists, examples include how the 1800X was received. Or the 3600XT, or even the abysmal FX 9590. None of these products had the sh1t thrown at them by reviewers as much as this one has. There have been many many releases of poor products from AMD that haven't received a YouTube video from Steve on HUB with a thumbnail saying “it’s sh1t”. Which by the way I thought was rather unprofessional and baffling, do HUB want to make enemies of these companies? Anyway I digress.

Rocket lake is a success, well at least so according to Dr Ian Cutress of Anandtech. As in its a success for Intel’s backporting capabilities, not a success for the consumers wallets, in that case yes it’s clearly quite the fail! But if Intel slashed $150 off the price then I think most reviewers would be praising it.

I agree that userbenchmarks reviews are poor and I’m not defending them or the 11900Ks value here.

However this 11900K part for $540 is a hell of a lot better value today than the 1800X part was from AMD at $500 in 2017. Yet the reviews from much of the tech press of the 1800X were favourable of it. Certainly absolutely no where near as negative as they have been for this part.
🤦‍♂️

1800X offered around same performance as i7-6900K, for half a price. On desktop side, 1800X's competitor was i7-7700K (4 cores, 8 threads). Intel simply didn't have anything against 1800X for a while.

I do believe there is some bias in the tech press towards AMD. Maybe this was because for the longest time they were the underdogs and charged less for their parts than Intel. It still exists, examples include how the 1800X was received. Or the 3600XT, or even the abysmal FX 9590. None of these products had the sh1t thrown at them by reviewers as much as this one has. There have been many many releases of poor products from AMD that haven't received a YouTube video from Steve on HUB with a thumbnail saying “it’s sh1t”. Which by the way I thought was rather unprofessional and baffling, do HUB want to make enemies of these companies? Anyway I digress.
No. i9-11900K offers fewer cores than predecessor, runs unltra hot, has no upgrade path available...

Basically, why Intel even announced this? There is no point on whole release.
Rocket lake is a success, well at least so according to Dr Ian Cutress of Anandtech. As in its a success for Intel’s backporting capabilities, not a success for the consumers wallets, in that case yes it’s clearly quite the fail! But if Intel slashed $150 off the price then I think most reviewers would be praising it.

IF...

Wow. Ive never actually read the little review blurb on userbenchmarks. That was, something?.. AMD out marketing intel and intel getting abused by the media? Lol. That's some funny stuff there.

I do believe there is some bias in the tech press towards AMD. Maybe this was because for the longest time they were the underdogs and charged less for their parts than Intel.

I think that you know enough history, but that you do not want to accept the outcomes of that history. I think that this situation was propagated by Intel. Intel seems to have chosen a short glorious life. Sentiment drives stocks, sales, reviews, everything. The collective sentiment in the subconscious disregards Intel just as Intel disregarded the collective sentiment.

I think that you know enough history, but that you do not want to accept the outcomes of that history. I think that this situation was propagated by Intel. Intel seems to have chosen a short glorious life. Sentiment drives stocks, sales, reviews, everything. The collective sentiment in the subconscious disregards Intel just as Intel disregarded the collective sentiment.
What a load of tosh. There is no “collective sentiment” within this industry. If there were then no one would buy this 11900K part and we both know it will sell by the thousands.

Right now the Ryzen 3 3300X costs more than the Intel i5 10400F. Anyone who chooses the 3300X over the Intel part because of “Sentiment” deserves to be ridiculed as a stupid fanboy.

Both companies are multi billion dollar American corporations. Believe me neither of them care about you at all, they sit down and have meetings to form strategies of taking as much of your money as possible! And both are just as bad as each other. In fact I believe it was AMD that suffered the most recent class action against them.

Users should buy what’s best for them today. Right now for enthusiasts that’s AMD Ryzen &. Threadripper series and for budget users it’s Intel core i3 - i5.

Back