Intel Core i9-13900 engineering sample is 20% faster than Alder Lake in new benchmarks

Tudor Cibean

Staff
Highly anticipated: The frequency of leaks surrounding Intel's upcoming 13th-gen processors keeps increasing as we get closer to their launch. New benchmarks of an i9-13900 engineering sample show that the CPU will feature an impressive boost to multi-threaded performance, thanks to the addition of eight extra E-cores.

Intel's 13th-gen Raptor Lake CPUs are still a few months away from launch, but that hasn't stopped a Chinese tech site from obtaining and testing an early sample of the i9-13900.

It features 8 Performance cores and a whopping 16 Efficient cores, twice that of its predecessor, the i9-12900. Other notable differences are a new microarchitecture for the P-cores, codenamed Raptor Cove, and an increased amount of L2 and L3 cache.

ExpReview used a current-gen Z690 motherboard for testing and found that the unreleased processor is surprisingly already supported. However, due to it being an engineering sample, the big cores only boost up to 3.8 GHz.

In application benchmarks, the i9-13900 is 20 percent faster on average compared to an i9-12900K locked at the same frequency, thanks to those extra E-cores. The Raptor Lake chip is a bit slower than its predecessor in single-threaded workloads and gaming, though we can probably chalk that up to the unfinalized microcode and lack of proper BIOS support.

Earlier this week, Intel also updated its Extreme Tuning Utility, adding support for something it calls "Efficient Thermal Velocity Boost" and some new overclocking functionalities. A hardware leaker has suggested a high-end Raptor Lake SKU (a successor to the i9-12900KS?) might use these features to boost up to 6 GHz on one or two cores.

In related news, a list of Asrock's upcoming Z790 and H770 motherboards leaked recently, confirming that Intel's Raptor Lake platform will still support DDR4 memory.

Permalink to story.

If it wasn't for AMD, Intel would still happily sell us high end consumer CPUs with 6-8MB cache.
Don't forget i5 would still be 4 cores without HT :D
AMD has helped people who prefer Intel. I prefer AMD but I'm brand agnostic. Intels e-cores make me rage, but I'd build an Intel rig if I could get a good deal on one. I'm sticking with AMD for now because the 5800X3D is a drop in replacement for my 1800x, but intels latest offerings are very tempting

AMD has helped people who prefer Intel. I prefer AMD but I'm brand agnostic. Intels e-cores make me rage, but I'd build an Intel rig if I could get a good deal on one. I'm sticking with AMD for now because the 5800X3D is a drop in replacement for my 1800x, but intels latest offerings are very tempting
For me the only intel offerings of current gen that are decent value are the g7400, i3-12100f, 12400f and maybe 12700(f).
Everything else seems overpriced, especially if you price in the increased mobo cost.

Faster than Alder Lake but at 65W? What magic sauce did Intel use to pull that off?

Faster than Alder Lake but at 65W? What magic sauce did Intel use to pull that off?

Faster at 3.8 GHz for 65W. Alder Lake was also only using 3.8 GHz. You know, an actual frequency range where both Intel and AMD CPUs are very power efficient. And Apple's CPUs work in this range... to be power efficient.

Hmmm, lotta coincidences there, does it mean something?

How is it with Intel CPUs..? Do Ecores and Pcores work all together completing tasks at the same time, or they work separately by switching from performance to efficiency mode? Can all cores run at the same time, when system load is heavily multi threaded?

How is it with Intel CPUs..? Do Ecores and Pcores work all together completing tasks at the same time, or they work separately by switching from performance to efficiency mode? Can all cores run at the same time, when system load is heavily multi threaded?
Yes, all cores can run at the same time to increase multithreading performance and the CPU tries to place workloads that require more power on the big cores (like games).

The problem with this test is that in CB20 and CB23 test Raptor was 17% slower in single thread then AlderLake working at the same frequency

Intel 12th gen performance turned out very good but power consumption and thermals went to ****. I'm more interested if they improved in that area. You need to siphon the energy of a supernova to power the latest Intel and Nvidia combo.
That's bs.

I'll wait until Intel and AMD CPUs are fairly compared by disinterested third-party experts across a broad range of applications and games. Then I'll buy AMD.

So at the same clock speed, with 50% more cores it was only 20% faster and not in all benchmarks where it was actually slower in two IIRC. Rumours now Intel will try and push 6GHz in an Nvidia like attempt to ensure victory at any power usage.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for AMD, Intel would still happily sell us high end consumer CPUs with 6-8MB cache.

In 1982 the company began supplying second-source chips for Intel Corporation, which made the microprocessor used in IBM personal computers (PCs). The agreement with Intel ended in 1986. In 1991 AMD released the Am386 microprocessor family, a reverse-engineered chip that was compatible with Intel’s next-generation 32-bit 386 microprocessor. There ensued a long legal battle that was finally decided in a 1994 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in AMD’s favour. That same year, Compaq Computer Corporation contracted with AMD to produce Intel-compatible chips for their computers.

So, as you can see, there would be no AMD if it wasn't for intel.
Please, stop the nonsense. every decade one of these two companies gets lazy. It's a cycle. It's ridiculous.

All for a "mere" 50% increase in power consuption.

+1

Intel rep "hey pals, a new architecture gen 15, more 65W parts that go momentarily to 1000W to give you 20% more speed than the last gen, any questions? .... .... yes the GPU is the same as gen 11; yes the cooler must be for 1000W TDP despite being a 65W, it is safer..."

Intel 12th gen performance turned out very good but power consumption and thermals went to ****. I'm more interested if they improved in that area. You need to siphon the energy of a supernova to power the latest Intel and Nvidia combo.

Funny, EVGA already has a line of power supplies branded SUPERNOVA. I have a 1300 watt one.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 20 options instead of two?
Welcome to the first day of Economics 101 class:

The Scarcity Principle: "how can limited resources be used to satisfy unlimited consumer desires?"

Back