Intel Core i9-13950HX Review: 24 Cores, 32 Threads

Most people are probably going to use Blender's GPU rendering these days with parts like the RTX 4090 Laptop GPU, but CPU encoding is still a good multi-thread stress test. Here the 13950HX in the Open Data workload ended up again 45 percent faster than the 12900HX, which is a great result thanks to the additional 8 E-cores.

Hey ! Thanks for the review !

I just would've liked if the R9 6900HX was there too as it can goes further than the 6800H or 6900HS thanks to its 45W+ rating. But it's nice to see Intel coming back in laptop space, forcing AMD to keep innovating ! I just wish that Intel proposes more low-power (15W) capable CPU and not just beefy laptop CPU.

You know a laptop isn't for you when you can't afford it, can't think of anything that would need that amount of power and you probably couldn't carry it anyway. :(

Think of these as a small workstation with a built-in UPS and they make a bit more sense. If you have the luxury of a fairly fixed desk situation, build a desktop. If you're traveling on a daily basis, grab a lighter, less powerful notebook.

This is portable workstation that will always be plugged in. Battery life is not really important.

While performance is there, it comes with very high power usage.

I do not know if ti was possible to write M1 Pro and M2 cpus watt specs just like for other models.
AMD is coming with their 7000 series and they feel more balanced, as in right amount of performance while still being laptop level power usage.

You'll cook your goolies with this on your lap. AMD 7945HX will be very good as Zen 4 scales much better at low power and I expect better battery life.

Still I would not go above 13700H for mobile or AMD's equivalent.

Isn‘t it a bit odd that the efficiency king has a very short battery life ?

Also - what‘s the boost (PL2) power and its duration and how long until it kicks in again? Am curious as this affects many tests.

Power graphs showing power consumption as benchmarks run would be very interesting here.

Isn‘t it a bit odd that the efficiency king has a very short battery life ?

Also - what‘s the boost (PL2) power and its duration and how long until it kicks in again? Am curious as this affects many tests.

Power graphs showing power consumption as benchmarks run would be very interesting here.

Highly dubious it is the efficiency king at these sorts of power. Anandtech clearly showed Zen 4 scales far better at low power. i9 HX chips might have a TDP of 55W but they go to nearly 160W. Dragon range won't go that high IIRC.

Highly dubious it is the efficiency king at these sorts of power. Anandtech clearly showed Zen 4 scales far better at low power. i9 HX chips might have a TDP of 55W but they go to nearly 160W. Dragon range won't go that high IIRC.
Yet somehow the review states ‚efficiency king‘ and then shows the short battery life time.

So the 13950HX‘s 55W result in less than half the 6800H‘s 45W battery life, even though it‘s run in best efficiency mode that.

Quite amazing, isn‘t it ?

Back