Intel 'Haswell Refresh' processors quietly begin shipping

Scorpus

Staff member

Intel has quietly begun shipping their 'Haswell Refresh' line of processors, ahead of an expected launch next month. The CPUs are essentially replacing existing 'Haswell' parts, featuring minor updates such as clock speed increases (typically 100 MHz) for no additional cost.

At this stage Intel have launched 44 Haswell Refresh SKUs, 27 of which are desktop parts and 17 for mobile machines. Desktop CPUs range from the new non-K flagship - the 3.6 GHz quad-core Core i7-4790 for $303 - down to the dual-core 2.5 GHz Celeron G1840T for $42. For mobile devices, OEMs will be able to choose from the $378 Core i7-4712MQ to the $75 Celeron 2970M.

If you take a look at the full parts list for Haswell Refresh CPUs Intel has quietly launched you'll notice that the previously announced 'Devil's Canyon' enthusiast parts are yet to make an appearance. These K-series SKUs are set to launch "mid-year", according to Intel, and will feature an improved thermal interface material for better overclocking potential.

All Haswell Refresh CPUs, including Devil's Canyon, support Intel's new 9-series chipsets and the LGA1150 socket. Motherboards with 9-series Z97 Express chipsets aren't available just yet, but are expected to launch in the coming weeks. These boards will also be compatible with Intel's upcoming 'Broadwell' processors, which are set to launch for desktops in early 2015.

Some of the new Haswell Refresh CPUs are available now through Amazon and other retailers, although we'd suggest to perhaps wait until an official launch and wider availability before making a purchase.

Permalink to story.

I have a slight interest to see Devils canyon, all I care about are those Haswell-E chips though.

Send out some of those please lawlz.

I have a slight interest to see Devils canyon, all I care about are those Haswell-E chips though.

Send out some of those please lawlz.
Haswell-E will probably have that improved thermal interface material... it only makes sense that they would put it in the OC-oriented line of CPUs.

Haswell-E will probably have that improved thermal interface material... it only makes sense that they would put it in the OC-oriented line of CPUs.
Well thats what im looking for, hence why I dislike and would not own the ZX7 line CPU's because of the bad TIM that is used. The X99 and Haswell-E will be much better for overclocking and having the 8 Core 16 thread (Hopefully at the 500 dollar price point) will be an absolute must since I will be hitting the mat and overclocking it to 4.8ghz plus (Crossing my fingers on 5.0ghz which Haswell has the potential to hit if not for the poor TIM in the 4770k).

The Devils Canyon and these reworked (Refresh, whatever you want to call it) Haswell chips are what should have been released to begin with since all they in reality are is a better overclock-able chip (That and a slight stock core clock bump).

Ivy-e IHS was soldered on die and I expect the same with haswell-e. Therefore "improved thermal interface" is ment only for quad cores (i7-4790k I guess).

$500 8-core Haswell E is probably not going to happen. Intel is going to split the 6- and 8-core parts allowing them to justify charging $999 for the 8-core version. If 4770K is $320+, there is just no way Intel will sell an 8-core Haswell-E part for $500.

With Broadwell moved to early 2015, I wonder how far will Skylake be delayed to.

I guess all those people who said it doesn't matter if AMD is competitive since Intel has to entice buyers to upgrade are now eating crow. Intel has seriously slowed down in the last 2 years. Anyone on i5 2500K/2600K OC has no reason to upgrade. Even i7 920/860 @ 3.9ghz is uber fast with GTX780Ti, other than it's outdated feature set and higher power usage.

I hope they are not called the devils canyon for they run as hot as hell. Hahahaha.

$500 8-core Haswell E is probably not going to happen. Intel is going to split the 6- and 8-core parts allowing them to justify charging $999 for the 8-core version. If 4770K is $320+, there is just no way Intel will sell an 8-core Haswell-E part for $500.
Well they can and might depending on what they want to replace. The 4 Core models of the X79 have never been the most popular part among the enthusiasts since they are just essentially the previous generation chip with Quad channel and extra lanes among other things. Plus the X79 (Or next X99) chipset boards are much more expensive than the equivalent Z87 board which makes them less enticing. It would make more since to increase the price of the base X99 chip to 400 and then have a regular 8 core and a high cache 8 core at the 600 and 1k price point. The 4 core has really been unnecessary for quite some time with only recently allowing it to be unlocked adding a slight bit of popularity back with it.

It would really differentiate the X99 and Z87 chipsets a lot better than doing a Quad, Hex, and Octa Core processor. But then again Intel is extremely greedy so it would not surprise me if the 8 Core was only at the 1k threshold as well. Oh well I guess only time will tell.

Back