Intel teams up with Samsung to deliver cheaper 4K monitors

Himanshu Arora

Staff

In an effort to bring 4K to a wider audience, Intel has announced that it is teaming up with Samsung's display division to produce cheaper Ultra HD display panels. The announcement was made at Computex, one of the world's largest technology conferences, which is held annually in Taipei, Taiwan.

Until now, 4k screens have largely been out of reach for most consumers due to their sky-high prices. According to a research, in 2013 as many as 90 percent of monitors were still 1080p or lower in resolution.

According to Intel, Samsung Display will be selling the 4k panels for around $399 to manufacturers. As far as All-in-Ones are concerned, you'll soon be able to grab one equipped with a 4K display for $999, which is less than half the typical current price of 4K IPS and PLS monitors.

Despite the price, these won't be basic panels. The chipmaker is promising 100 percent sRGB coverage, 60Hz refresh rates, and Technicolor certification, along with a UHD resolution.

Intel didn't provide specific details of its partnership with Samsung, but according to Lisa Graff, company's PC Client Group VP and General Manager of the Desktop Client Platforms Group, there has been no technology transfer between the two companies. 

There was no word on availability of these display panels.

Permalink to story.

As long as it stays IPS and doesn't magically transform into TN, it may be interesting...

Enough of the existing 4K TN nonsense, this is not really a progress to justify premium prices.

If we look at the TV screen development: CRT->TN->Plasma->LCD->OLED, TN was the worst of the bunch, hands down, an older TV looks better.

Last edited:
As long as it stays IPS and doesn't magically transform into TN, it may be interesting...

Enough of the existing 4K TN nonsense, this is not really a progress to justify premium prices.

If we look at the TV screen development: CRT->TN->Plasma->LCD->OLED, TN was the worst of the bunch, hands down, an older TV looks better.

Plasma>LCD though. Though I have to agree on enough of TN silliness.

2 of the most expensive companies on the planet teaming up to offer something cheaper?. What does Intel have to do with monitors anyways?

You guys realize the current cheap 4K TN panel from Asus is actually incredibly good when it comes to color reproduction?

Edit: In case anyone is interested this is the review of the Asus 4K panel Techspot linked on the Weekend Tech Reading:
http://techreport.com/review/26510/4k-for-649-asus-pb287q-monitor-reviewed/4

As you can see, they were really struggling to tell the difference between the top end IPS panel they had next to them (2K IPS) and this TN based 4K screen.

Last edited:
Yeah. I don't know when these guys last looked at a TN screen but some of the latest ones look pretty darn good to me.

You guys realize the current cheap 4K TN panel from Asus is actually incredibly good when it comes to color reproduction?
Im with you on that, in all honesty TN panels are actually very good for gamers and I really do not mind them. I still plan on getting one that is TN unless an IPS comes out with a decent response time because right now the first IPS Desktop Panel I saw did not please me with its specs.

I think TN can be bad, but done right its really good. The Asus 28inch one is one of those monitors done right!

Plasma>LCD though. Though I have to agree on enough of TN silliness.
+1

TN panels are LCD panels, they are not two different things. TN is a subset of LCD technology, just like IPS is a subset of LCD and IPS panels are also LCD panels. The way you listed LCD, TN and IPS as if they were three completely different technologies makes no sense whatsoever.
What you should have said was "CRT -> TN LCD -> IPS LCD".

If I were Intel, I would team up with Sony.. since Sony also got the same goal: to deliver cheaper 4K monitors

TN panels are LCD panels, they are not two different things. TN is a subset of LCD technology, just like IPS is a subset of LCD and IPS panels are also LCD panels. The way you listed LCD, TN and IPS as if they were three completely different technologies makes no sense whatsoever.
What you should have said was "CRT -> TN LCD -> IPS LCD".

I saw the obvious mistake, but was in a hurry and didn't correct it. It all makes good sense, if you are not trying to overreach here, but pointing at mistakes of others makes you feel great, so I left it for someone to enjoy just that, and looks like you really did, so I'm glad. :)

Until now, 4k screens have largely been out of reach for most consumers due to their sky-high prices. According to a research, in 2013 as many as 90 percent of monitors were still 1080p or lower in resolution.
Well is that surprising when a 1080p monitor is available for under £100 but the next step up WQHD monitors cost 4 times that price and the UHD monitors start around £500.

Frankly I cannot see any reason for getting a a UHD monitor until reasonably priced graphics cards that can cope with 4K become available. That will most probably occur in around two to four years time? By which time the cost of the monitors would have dropped as well.

I would have to disagree with your statement. I have been using a Samsung TN monitor for the past 3 years and it's still going strong. I've never been happier with a monitor than my current one from Samsung.

I thought TN and LCD were not complimentary technologies. Not competing or superior to each other. But I am not video expert.

I would have to disagree with your statement. I have been using a Samsung TN monitor for the past 3 years and it's still going strong. I've never been happier with a monitor than my current one from Samsung.

I thought TN and LCD were not complimentary technologies. Not competing or superior to each other. But I am not video expert.

You have to sit them side by side, a good IPS and TN, and you will see the difference. On TN the colors get washed out and distorted when you move up or down, losing view quickly as you move left or right. I've been using the best of displays for my work - DELL U3014 for desktop, Macbook Pro 15" Retina, and next to them a TN screen looks prehistoric ;)

If I were Intel, I would team up with Sony.. since Sony also got the same goal: to deliver cheaper 4K monitors

Sony is selling off the TV divison and computers. I guess they are gonna sell PS4 and headphones

You have to sit them side by side, a good IPS and TN, and you will see the difference. On TN the colors get washed out and distorted when you move up or down, losing view quickly as you move left or right. I've been using the best of displays for my work - DELL U3014 for desktop, Macbook Pro 15" Retina, and next to them a TN screen looks prehistoric ;)

Actually, I just bought the latest Samsung ToC 23" monitor and it is IPS. It looks brighter but I am not sure that I would agree that brighter is necessarily better. If I have to sit them side-by-side to be able to know which one is better...that's a hard sell. Well, it would be a hard sell if there were a premium for purchasing an IPS monitor over a TN. But thankfully, there really wasn't that much of a premium if any. $199 for a 23" IPS seemed reasonable. A little higher than other companies but my prior two Samsung purchases have been very reliable. No problems at all.

The part about moving left or right quickly sounds like a response time issue that wouldn't necessarily be related to whether or not its TN or IPS, would it? Sounds like you are saying that IPS is automatically faster at refreshing the screen or something along those lines.

The part about moving left or right quickly sounds like a response time issue that wouldn't necessarily be related to whether or not its TN or IPS, would it? Sounds like you are saying that IPS is automatically faster at refreshing the screen or something along those lines.
Actually, that was with reference to worse viewing angles on TN panels, not to motion ;)

@Fbarnett

"Sony is selling off the TV divison and computers. I guess they are gonna sell PS4 and headphones"

Sony is selling pc division (Vaio) and restructuring tv division. Recently they stated that Sony won't make 4K LED anymore since it was expensive and there are several obstacles when manufactured it. So they moved from 4K LED to 4K LCD in order to deliver cheaper 4K monitors.. that's what I heard

Oh how things change... I remember back around 2000 saying I'd get a 19" 1280x1024 LCD when the price dropped to $1,300.

Back