Intel teases its discrete graphics card, coming 2020

LemmingOverlrd

Why it matters: Competition matters. Competition that stands a chance of giving Nvidia and AMD a run for their money matters even more, especially to the PC Master Race. Intel's GPU development sounds like it is in full swing, and we are more than curious to know what kind of silicon comes out of the Intel labs.

Whether it's Chris Hook's hand in Marketing, or Raja Koduri's management style (both men poached from AMD), Intel is being a bit of a tease with the upcoming 2020 launch of its discrete graphics processor.

Arctic Sound, is the rumored internal codename for Intel's 12th generation GPU, which is said to power both discrete and integrated parts.

Using the last day at SIGGRAPH 2018 as a backdrop, Intel is tactically trying to grab some headlines and has posted a tweet with a teaser video of its future graphics card, under the motto "Set our graphics free". This is the first time Intel gives us a glimpse, albeit such a vague one, on the state of its development. We'd advise taking it for what it is... just a teaser. But it does give us a reassuring feeling that things are, somewhat, on schedule.

Although little is revealed by it, the video runs us by Intel's recent accomplishments in the graphics domain, from the first 4K video-capable IGP to what it says is the first fully compliant DX12 graphics processor... all this building up to a single backlit take of what appears to be a rather slim (single slot) graphics card. It gives away very little and leaves a little bit of "damn you, Intel!" aftertaste in the mouth, which, we presume, was the whole point.

Knowing Raja Koduri's style, we know we'll be seeing a lot more of these teasers, right up until the launch of the GPU which still seems far, far away.

Permalink to story.

Everyone will like the idea of having a serious additional competitor in the discrete GPU space, providing they deliver something worthy. With the team they have assembled it seems like a decent bet.

I am always interested in mobile or integrated graphics these days for notebooks as well. Integrated graphics on Intel have only really been barely sufficient, Iris Pro was ok but not in common consumer machines. The Intel-Vega graphics is an interesting experiment but the models sporting those chips are also firmly in the premium bracket.

I want to see Intel being capable of integrating one of their CPUs with a much better graphics core capable of playing modern games, and not just in ultrabooks that cost $1500. AMD are starting to get there with their APUs, but I think it'll really take off if Intel have a GPU design they can modularise and throw at mainstream notebooks in various performance guises.

An Iris Pro with 1-2GB 6Gb/s GDDR5/6 (instead of shared 2133MHz DDR4) would compete fairly well with entry level cards like GT 1030/RX 540 so there's no reason they can't scale that up a bit to compete at the $150-200 level. I don't think anyone is expecting a competitor for a 1080/2080/Vega 64 right out of the gate but something low midrange will get people's $€£ if it's competitive.

Intel can try, I mean, but they can't top what NVIDIA presented this year.

I'm just waiting(not anxiously)that Raja Koduri proves his real value....or not.

This is not even Raja's product, yet. To everyone: this will not be the result of Raja's team.

I'm just waiting(not anxiously)that Raja Koduri proves his real value....or not.

Don't think this is entirely Raja's work. The man just started at Intel not that long ago. In order to get ready for 2020 they had to have been doing plenty of groundwork beforehand.

If history is any guide the discrete cards they produce will be overpriced, have a gazillion SKUs and driver variants and still be just barely adequate for mid-range gaming.

They've been doing integrated GPUs for years, and they've already made the low end discreet market effectively redundent. Make no mistake, these are no blow-ins - they have the resources to scale these things up pretty quickly, and their own foundries could potentially give them a significant advantage over their competitors. If they got mid range GPUs on the market by 2020, it will have a serious impact on both AMD and Nvidia pricing and strategy.

The bigger issue is if Intel is going to use their own processor chips and how many of THOSE will have the security holes that some of their newest ones have ...... a real bummer

Back