Intel unveils Core i7 875K, i5 655K unlocked processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Intel is announcing two new mainstream processor offerings today as part of their Core I-series lineup, and is targeting them squarely at overclocking enthusiasts. The new Core i5 655K and Core i7 875K are identical to the 3.2GHz Core i5 650 and 2.93GHz Core i7 870 in terms of basic specifications. However, the 'K' suffix denotes an unlocked CPU multiplier, giving users finer control over their processor frequencies without tweaking other components.

The quad-core i7 875K is based on Intel's 45nm Lynnfield core. It works at 2.93GHz, can process eight simultaneous threads with Hyper-Threading, features 8MB of L3 cache and has a 95W TDP. Meanwhile, the Core i5 655K is based on Intel's 32nm Clarkdale core with integrated graphics. The dual-core processor can handle four simultaneous threads using Hyper-Threading, it has 4MB of Level 3 cache and a TDP of 73W. As well as the unlocked multiplier, both chips still feature Intel's Turbo Boost technology, which automatically adjusts core frequency based on the CPU's workload.

In terms of pricing, the unlocked Core i5 655K will command a $40 price premium over the locked i5 650, while the Core i7 875K, at $349, is actually almost $240 cheaper than the locked Core i7 870. The new K-series models will officially launch at Computex next week, but there's a bunch of coverage floating around already. You can read some reviews at AnandTech, PC Perspective and The Tech Report.

Permalink to story.

The unlocked i7 sounds like a fantastic deal! For me the i7 has been on a prohibitably high pedestal where price is concerned, but $350 is very reasonable for a processor with its capabilities. Any word on whether this is introductory pricing only, or will it remain at this low price in months to come?

IF the price cut on the 875K is as stated then it makes an attractive proposition for some consumers, although the 860 offers much the same at a lower cost still. That would lead to the speculation that either the 870 is about to be killed off (EOL) with the 880 (3.06G) taking it's place, or more unlikely, that the 870's pricing will be shoehorned between the 860 and the 875K- which surely would impact sales of the 860.

As for the 875K itself, I don't know if it offers that much more for most users. The standard 870 is overclockable to 4GHz on air as it stands on most P55 boards. For anyone overclocking on air (or pseudo watercooler- Corsair H50, Asetek LCLC / lower end liquid cooling) the thermal limitation of the CPU is still coming into play before any significant OC gains can be made. This would leave users that use enthusiast water or peltier cooling as the likely customers. Customers that for some reason would plough funds into cooling at the expense of a better performing CPU/chipset combination (LGA1366/X58).

Oh for ****s sake. I wish they would do this with the higher end i7-950/960. But that would render the i7-975 useless.

LOOK WHAT I GOT!!!

What the hell is going on with people now days? People are building computers like racing cars. See how fast it can go, tweak this, tweak that, give it a water cooled CPU engine, give it a paint job and throw on some cool florescent lights while were at it. And manufactures of this cult is praying on the few that have this sort hobby. Cult? well, maybe not as far as being a cult, but this kind of atmosphere and phenomenon needs to stop. Why? because it is complete utter bullshit and it really does no good to the average consumer or average gamer as well.

And if you really think about it, the next time you visit some sort of geek forum you always see guys posting there specs in their signatures, Hey, I gotta i999-xk, with triple nitrogen cooled heat sinks, 10 Terabytes of GDDR6-gt Ram and 15 Nvidia turbo charged interlocked graphics cards and blah blah blah. Really? Who gives a ****? What does this prove? And what good is it for me? Or, the rest of us for that matter? If your not willing to buy me one and send it my way, then just keep this info to yourself.

By the way, in 6 months the same dude will dish what he just spent $3,000 for, go out, and build a complete new system, spend more money just...., so he can sit his fat *** at home for the next 6months and earn his bragging rights on the web, and post his little freaking you tube video. Well whoopee ****!

Oh by the way, look what I got:

Gateway
Pentium 800Mhz CPU
EV910 monitor
256 Megs Ram
66Mhz 20gig Drive
Windows XP

and I still can ...
peform delphi programming
MySql databasing
PHP, Perl Programming

Play all the latest games at 120 FPS @ www.onlive.com

P.S. - onlive.com has a hot *** thing going here.

Guest said:
LOOK WHAT I GOT!!!

What the hell is going on with people now days? People are building computers like racing cars. See how fast it can go, tweak this, tweak that, give it a water cooled CPU engine, give it a paint job and throw on some cool florescent lights while were at it. And manufactures of this cult is praying on the few that have this sort hobby. Cult? well, maybe not as far as being a cult, but this kind of atmosphere and phenomenon needs to stop. Why? because it is complete utter bullshit and it really does no good to the average consumer or average gamer as well.

And if you really think about it, the next time you visit some sort of geek forum you always see guys posting there specs in their signatures, Hey, I gotta i999-xk, with triple nitrogen cooled heat sinks, 10 Terabytes of GDDR6-gt Ram and 15 Nvidia turbo charged interlocked graphics cards and blah blah blah. Really? Who gives a ****? What does this prove? And what good is it for me? Or, the rest of us for that matter? If your not willing to buy me one and send it my way, then just keep this info to yourself.

By the way, in 6 months the same dude will dish what he just spent $3,000 for, go out, and build a complete new system, spend more money just...., so he can sit his fat *** at home for the next 6months and earn his bragging rights on the web, and post his little freaking you tube video. Well whoopee ****!

Oh by the way, look what I got:

Gateway
Pentium 800Mhz CPU
EV910 monitor
256 Megs Ram
66Mhz 20gig Drive
Windows XP

and I still can ...
MySql databasing
PHP, Perl Programming

Play all the latest games at 120 FPS @ www.onlive.com

P.S. - onlive.com has a hot *** thing going here.

wow! you are the true meaning of the word "*****".

On-live isn't going to be as great as your hoping, man you your post really is the most stupid thing I have ever read! Even when i was 2 years old reading teletubbie stories about lala land then you came along and wrote this post!

well done! i'm impressed, you have successfully written the most stupid thing I have ever read :)

True about the post but if all these parts are built in eastern asia sweat shops for 5 bucks a piece why is intel and amd bending us over so bad?

I was in Korea in the navy back in 1989 just bought cross trainers before i went on a six month deployment and found the same ones on the street for 08.00 that i bought in the states for 120.00 i was pissed. they say import taxes then why is our taxes so high on everything. Someone is making a killing.

Stand up tea partiers

Thank God you trying to help America.

Jdawg has Spoken

Pentium 800Mhz CPU

Isnt that a Pentium III?? Hmmmmm? and your complaining about the new fangle technology!

2) why do you care?

and I still can ...
MySql databasing
PHP, Perl Programming

And what good is it for me ?

So were all supposed to limit ourselves to the interests and world according to you?.....Thats about as a solipsistic attitude as I have ever heard.

...Its an enthusiast Tech site....

And the best part. If you don't want to see it,read it, Or hear about it......you are afforded every opportunity to not look at it, not listen to it, and not purchase it.:)

( I assume you will not be joining then???)

I've got an Apple with a red stain on its Pristine whiteness.
I cant seem get it off?
Whats that?
Oh yeah I suppose it could be the Blood of the foxconn workers.

dont buy into the new Slavery. Boycott Foxconn AND apple.

At least German workers receive proper wages and benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back