Intel unveils the first of its 8th generation Core CPUs

midian182

Staff member

Intel has just launched the first of its 8th generation Core processors: four 15W U-series mobile CPUs. The company says they will offer a 40 percent speed boost over the previous generation, and now feature four cores and eight threads instead of the previous two cores and four threads.

While Intel calls these CPUs eighth gen, the architecture is the same as the 7th gen Kaby Lake chips, which themselves are a minor update of Skylake. The first chips of this generation, referred to as Kaby Lake Refresh, are built on a refined version of the 14 nm+ process, with performance increases coming via the two new cores and improvements to their design and manufacturing (higher clock speeds).

As for the future 8th gen CPUs: Coffee Lake will use a refined 14nm++ process node, while Cannon Lake will be the first to move to 10nm. The recently teased Ice Lake will use the updated 10nm+ process.

The four new u-Series CPUs consist of two i7 chips and two i5 chips. The base frequencies are slightly down from Kaby Lake, though the Turbo modes are higher in the i7s and the same for the i5s.

Table data, courtesy Anandtech

The chips’ integrated graphics are essentially the same as those found in the last generation, though the name has been changed from HD 620 to UHD 620 to reflect their suitability for 4K playback and video processing. They’re also designed to handle VR and 3D, and come with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 support as standard.

The first laptops from OEM partners to feature the new 8th generation CPUs are set to arrive next month. Other members of the family, such as Coffee Lake, will arrive later in the year, with the desktop chips set to hit this fall.

Permalink to story.

Significantly lower base frequencies. Using something like throttle stop to lock turbo is going to overcook these little chips.

Attractive retail packaging. That caught my eye. The specs are easily missed but the price isn't and that most certainly caught my eye, not in a good way either.

Wait what? Through design and manufacturing you gain 15% baseline performance??? I mean, I work in marketing but please...

The company says they will offer a 40 percent speed boost over the previous generation

Really??? Apparently Intel's marketing department has trouble distinguishing between the meaning of the terms "speed" and "performance".

...with performance increases coming via the two new cores and improvements to their design and manufacturing (higher clock speeds)

OK, at least they're changing their claim from "+40% speed" to "+40% performance", but even there I think their math is way off:
-- Manufacturing somehow providing at least a +5% improvement, if not +10%? Sorry, gotta call them on this from the getgo. First off, most performance "improvements" that are technically due to the manufacturing process show up in other areas (# of cores you can fit in, HyperThreading support, # of transistors, base/Turbo clock speeds, etc.). Second, the majority of those improvements, as well as those that don't readily show up (I.e. shortening the distance between cores & cache) primarily happen when you have a die shrink. I suppose they could have left that in from their Kaby Lake figures, since that was technically a 5% improvement in clock speeds (since they didn't change the # of cores)...but since we're seeing changes in the # of cores & a drop in clock speed to boot, I don't know if I can believe even a 5% claim.
-- Design improvements? Where? They're calling these 8th-generation CPUs, but they're not actually Coffee Lake CPUs, they're a Kaby Lake "refresh". Normally, that should imply the same features sets (I.e. AVX 2.0, VT-x, etc.). However, it turns out that these chips are missing 2 of the features in their 2C/4T forebearers (http://ark.intel.com/products/124968, http://ark.intel.com/products/97466): Intel's vPro technology, & Intel's Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP). Now, maybe only enterprise customers & support staff are going to care about those features, or maybe it's just that old of a protocol (since they've had it in their CPUs since the Core 2 days)...but it almost makes it look like they had to remove some features in order to fit everything else in. Not to mention that enterprise purchases are still more of a source of purchasing than consumers will be, at least in terms of volume. In the end, though, I think they may have mislabeled this section, because architecture generally refers to the internal structure of how each core is designed (I.e. "Sandy Bridge", "Ivy Bridge", "Haswell", etc.), where "design" is how much you can put on the CPU (I.e. a desktop Core i3 is "designed" to have 2 cores & use HyperThreading, a desktop Core i5 is "designed" to have 4 cores but not use HyperThreading, a desktop Core i7 is "designed" to have 4 cores & use Hyperthreading, etc.).
-- Design providing a +25% improvement? First off, that's going to vary quite a bit from application to application. And right off the bat, we run right back into the "cores vs. frequency" debate. On single- or lightly-threaded applications, these CPUs are going to at best see maybe a +5% improvement because a) they'll only be using 1 or 2 cores, & b) the listed Turbo speeds (which, remember, only apply when a single core is in use) are only 5% faster than the older CPUs they listed. On multi-threaded applications that only need maybe 4 threads (I.e. most gaming applications), especially if you run into thermal throttling, you're going to see these CPUs lose performance, because their stock clocks run about 25% slower (& no, we don't have listed what the max Turbo is for any of these CPUs with all 4 cores in use...however, given that the 2C/4T versions have a +1500MHz step, & a similar Haswell version, i7-4550U, had a +1200MHz step with both cores in play, I'm guessing that the i7-7660U can probably reach at least 3.5GHz, if not 3.7GHz, with both cores; the i7-8650U would have to manage a +1600 to +1800MHz step with 2 or more cores to match that performance). The only situations where these 8th-generation CPUs might be able to outperform their faster-with-fewer-core brethren is in applications that can readily take advantage of 5-8 threads. But again, I figure the lower clock speeds are going to have an affect there, especially since once you hit 5 threads you're into HyperThreading usage (which is why you usually see only a +25-30% improvement when going from a 4C/4T CPU to a 4C/8T CPU of roughly the same clock speeds).

The only impressive thing about these CPUs is that they managed to squeeze them down to a 15W TDP. But even that's not as impressive as you might think. They got a 4C/8T CPU down to 25W previously (i7-6822EQ, 2GHz base/2.8GHz Turbo with 1 core), so it's not quite as much of an improvement as with their normal low-power 47W CPUs. And even then, I'm betting the only way they can get such a huge Turbo gap is because that's with only 1 core working; I'm betting the 3- and 4-core max Turbo speeds are much, much less.

Wait what? Through design and manufacturing you gain 15% baseline performance??? I mean, I work in marketing but please...
They put 2 more cores -4 extra thread- per chipset, the marketing part was duly noted.

Did anyone notice that these chips are the U line (15W, notebook oriented)? We'll have to wait until we see the benchmarks and differences, but the U line has been improved a lot in the last generations, let's hope this follows up the trend.

The rumors are that the new mainstream 6 core CPUs will offer 11% (weird number) more single core perf. Not sure if it comes from clocks speeds, IPC or a mix of the 2. It's not much again.
At least Intel will offer more cores. Devs will certainly have to code around many threads now.

They put 2 more cores -4 extra thread- per chipset, the marketing part was duly noted.

Did anyone notice that these chips are the U line (15W, notebook oriented)? We'll have to wait until we see the benchmarks and differences, but the U line has been improved a lot in the last generations, let's hope this follows up the trend.

15W and double the cores. Very impressive.

At least Intel will offer more cores. Devs will certainly have to code around many threads now.

They don't have to do anything, but they will be more likely now that a chipmaker with pull is bringing 6 core chips to the mainstream market.

Reading is hard....
built on a refined version of the 14 nm+ process, with performance increases coming via the two new cores and improvements to their design and manufacturing (higher clock speeds).

Attractive retail packaging. That caught my eye. The specs are easily missed but the price isn't and that most certainly caught my eye, not in a good way either.

How do you easily miss 100% more cores, more cache and higher frequency???
And what's not to like about more for less?

Wow.

Wow.

If I am not mistaken, the base speed is what you will get most of the time, which is a huge reduction, and turbo is not on all threads at the same max speed, that might be for a single core/thread max turbo, which won't do much if you are multi-tasking and need more threads on higher turbo.

so you get more threads, at mostly lower speeds, as if they all go max turbo, the chip will be good enough to do some BBQ.

If I am not mistaken, the base speed is what you will get most of the time, which is a huge reduction, and turbo is not on all threads at the same max speed, that might be for a single core/thread max turbo, which won't do much if you are multi-tasking and need more threads on higher turbo.

so you get more threads, at mostly lower speeds, as if they all go max turbo, the chip will be good enough to do some BBQ.

More threads at mostly lower speeds....
Sounds a lot like Ryzen.
Did you wish them good luck too?

The most comical part of all this is how Intel's CPU chips are more expensive than Ryzen, but even the fanboys are complaining that AMD's video cards are way overpriced as compared to Nvidia.

Now, listen up little fanlings, this is whazzup; AMD is banking on the fact that AMD CPU buyers, will likely want to finish off their system with an AMD video card. Ergo, the money they lose on the low prices of the CPUs, will hopefully, wind up being spent on their video cards.

This is known as, "taking money out of one pocket, and putting it in the other".

The most comical part of all this is how Intel's CPU chips are more expensive than Ryzen, but even the fanboys are complaining that AMD's video cards are way overpriced as compared to Nvidia.

Now, listen up little fanlings, this is whazzup; AMD is banking on the fact that AMD CPU buyers, will likely want to finish off their system with an AMD video card. Ergo, the money they lose on the low prices of the CPUs, will hopefully, wind up being spent on their video cards.

This is known as, "taking money out of one pocket, and putting it in the other".
To be honest, the fact that GSync monitors are very expensive where I live pretty much makes investing into an Nvidia GPU really hard to do unless I remove any limits on my budget. 150-200$ is a lot of money I could be using for something else when building a PC.

To be honest, the fact that GSync monitors are very expensive where I live pretty much makes investing into an Nvidia GPU really hard to do unless I remove any limits on my budget. 150-200$ is a lot of money I could be using for something else when building a PC.
Well, here's the review of the Vega card: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-review.238937/page-2#post-1624156 Even the fanboys were whimpering about the price of the card. That's what I'm saying, you'll be shuffling money around to do a build, and the savings with AMD may not be as great as they would first appear on the price of the CPUs alone

Give me a break here, I not gonna even try to argue which system is better..

Well, here's the review of the Vega card: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-review.238937/page-2#post-1624156 Even the fanboys were whimpering about the price of the card. That's what I'm saying, you'll be shuffling money around to do a build, and the savings with AMD may not be as great as they would first appear on the price of the CPUs alone

Give me a break here, I not gonna even try to argue which system is better..
Buying a GPU at launch or during this high mining period is not something that I would normally do for myself. (I always avoid launch stuff since we both know that there will always be problems --> let others test them for us)
And I believe that Freesync and GSync are better for mid range GPUs (like the 1060/480). That's where ppl will see sub 60FPS more often and frequent frame tearing.
Once you get to the high-end stuff you'll care a lot less about 100-200$.

We should see prices of GPUs drop by the end of the year once mining profits start to drop harshly.

Wow.
They're not the kind of chips that typically attract my attention. In fact if you hadn't responded to my post I would've already forgotten they even exist, or going to exist. Kind of like entry level smartphones. Millions of different ones are available and millions of people buy them but no one really takes any notice of them, they're innocuous.

Reading is hard....
built on a refined version of the 14 nm+ process, with performance increases coming via the two new cores and improvements to their design and manufacturing (higher clock speeds).

Only the boost speed is faster, & that's only 5% faster than the prior generation chips Yes, Hyperthreading is not as efficient as physical cores, so a 4C/8T CPU that's only using 4 threads would normally outperform a 2C/4T CPU...but only if the clock speeds were at least identical (or if the 4C/8T CPU was running faster). In a laptop, it's a lot harder to get the cooler temperatures needed to maximize your Turbo speed. Considering that these chips have double the cores on them, that's double the potential heat sources...& with a 15W TDP, I doubt you're going to get any kind of hefty cooling system in a laptop to really allow for full Turbo performance on these chips.

They're not the kind of chips that typically attract my attention. In fact if you hadn't responded to my post I would've already forgotten they even exist, or going to exist. Kind of like entry level smartphones. Millions of different ones are available and millions of people buy them but no one really takes any notice of them, they're innocuous.
Why participate in a topic about chips that will come in and out of your head as soon as you open the link and then close it? Doesn't it sound irrational?
Only the boost speed is faster, & that's only 5% faster than the prior generation chips Yes, Hyperthreading is not as efficient as physical cores, so a 4C/8T CPU that's only using 4 threads would normally outperform a 2C/4T CPU...but only if the clock speeds were at least identical (or if the 4C/8T CPU was running faster). In a laptop, it's a lot harder to get the cooler temperatures needed to maximize your Turbo speed. Considering that these chips have double the cores on them, that's double the potential heat sources...& with a 15W TDP, I doubt you're going to get any kind of hefty cooling system in a laptop to really allow for full Turbo performance on these chips.
Well that's why they call them improved processes, they engineered the way to have the best of both worlds, adding performance and keeping the same TDP. This comes through efficiency, improved cooling solutions, so back and forth.

I'm still not getting why people are so stuck with not understanding how engineering works, there is a problem, let's find a solution. I doubt they will ship chips that will burn out your computer... and I'm impressed that people believe this is how they work. The level of abstraction is incredible.

For those still complaining about the numbers, let's take a look at this in a non tech way:
Scenario 1: You have 2 people carrying 2500 pieces each.
Scenario 2: You have 4 people carrying 1900 pieces each.
Which scenario will be completed first?

Ok let's go back to tech way, sure, it's "slower clocked" but you have a better spread of tasks all around and you will definitely feel it faster, because processes won't hog the complete processor. And then you have turbo, you now have 4 cores instead of 2, so even if they were left at the same clocks, it will still be faster.

How they are handling it? Well that's how they make money.

Why participate in a topic about chips that will come in and out of your head as soon as you open the link and then close it? Doesn't it sound irrational?
Well that's why they call them improved processes, they engineered the way to have the best of both worlds, adding performance and keeping the same TDP. This comes through efficiency, improved cooling solutions, so back and forth.

I'm still not getting why people are so stuck with not understanding how engineering works, there is a problem, let's find a solution. I doubt they will ship chips that will burn out your computer... and I'm impressed that people believe this is how they work. The level of abstraction is incredible.

For those still complaining about the numbers, let's take a look at this in a non tech way:

Ok let's go back to tech way, sure, it's "slower clocked" but you have a better spread of tasks all around and you will definitely feel it faster, because processes won't hog the complete processor. And then you have turbo, you now have 4 cores instead of 2, so even if they were left at the same clocks, it will still be faster.

Not in the least.

Not in the least.

Back