Intel's next-gen flagship overclocks to 6.9 GHz (nice) on liquid nitrogen

mongeese

Staff
Gorgeous: Glance up, and admire a chilled Rocket Lake processor sending its clocks skywards to a stratospheric 6.9 GHz and beyond. In two short clips posted to Twitter, overclockers push an octa-core Rocket Lake processor to 6923.56 MHz using liquid nitrogen. They use a 113.50 MHz bus speed paired with a 61x multiplier. The 8 GB of system memory is similarly overclocked to a devilish 6666.66 MHz.

The clips are rather devoid of novel information, but as a development, the use of exotic cooling on Rocket Lake processors is an intriguing one. It may indicate that a release is imminent. If that's the case, then Intel's keynote on Monday, helmed by their executive VP Gregory Bryant, could be the moment.

Intel is likely to use liquid nitrogen as a marketing ploy for Rocket Lake, so this is your reminder to treat bold performance claims with suspicion.

The last time Intel used exotic cooling for marketing was at Computex 2018. Bryant proudly displayed a 28-core processor overclocked to 5 GHz. The industrial cooler it required was, quite literally, hidden under the table. Intel claimed it was all a misunderstanding…

With a little luck, Intel won't need such marketing tactics to sell Rocket Lake. It'll be the first generation of Intel desktop processors to introduce a new architecture. That could boost performance by ~20%. It will also introduce PCIe 4.0 and AVX-512 to the Intel platform.

Stay tuned for Monday, when Bryant takes the stage at virtual CES at 1 pm PST / 4 pm EST.

Permalink to story.

The frequency achieved on LN2 tells us absolutely nothing about actual performance. A 5GHz Ryzen chip vs. a 5GHz Intel chip still doesn't say which performs better without knowing the details of the architectures and specific instruction processing pipelines.

OK, not a big fan of the super chilled marketing hype but its nice to see Intel finally taking more than baby steps now. Should be a good upgrade and lets hope AMD steps up as well to keep prices in check.

Just Intel flexing it's strongest attribute and what it's best at. Marketing.

Fan boys and ignorant consumers will swoon, but savvy enthusiasts and conscientious consumers will wait for meaningful data and real reviews.
Yeah just like in worst AMD days, fx was overclocked to 8.7 GHz. We all know how that architecture performed.
And also, it's higher that this 7 GHz overclock. Why should I care about it?

The frequency achieved on LN2 tells us absolutely nothing about actual performance. A 5GHz Ryzen chip vs. a 5GHz Intel chip still doesn't say which performs better without knowing the details of the architectures and specific instruction processing pipelines.
Zen 3 will have about 5-10% better IPC vs Rocket Lake.
It will be similar situation to Zen 2 vs Skylake.

The 10900k has reached 7GHZ on all 10 ten cores,this matched it on 8,this means nothing.
Untill there is a consumer based LN2 cooler,then this might mean something.
Yeah, let's all just run down to Best Buy and buy ourselves a LN2 cooler. Even if they had one, I would not do so. If there were any practical value in crazy setups like this, that is, other than bragging rights, I am sure LN2 coolers would have hit the market by now.

Even if there were a consumer LN2 cooler on the market, you would still need a supply of LN2. I doubt most people could afford the equipment to produce their own supply of it.

Excellent. This setup might just provide the boost my shopping bots need so I can actually purchase a 5950x.
You get it.
Even if there were a consumer LN2 cooler on the market, you would still need a supply of LN2. I doubt most people could afford the equipment to produce their own supply of it.
You might be surprised - at least where I am, LN2 is readily available and pretty cheap. And LN2 overclocking equipment is available from EK WB for reasonable prices. The only problem is that someone is required to pour the LN2 into the cooler as it evaporates, and to monitor condensation. It's really hard work and you can't use the computer at the same time.

Yeah, let's all just run down to Best Buy and buy ourselves a LN2 cooler. Even if they had one, I would not do so. If there were any practical value in crazy setups like this, that is, other than bragging rights, I am sure LN2 coolers would have hit the market by now.

do you remember phase change coolers? I wonder what happened to those, they used to be really popular with the FX60 crowd back in the mid 2000's

Exactly.

After all these reviews of GPU's which no-one can buy, it's nice to move on to cooling solutions that no-one uses.

The 10900k has reached 7GHZ on all 10 ten cores,this matched it on 8,this means nothing.
Untill there is a consumer based LN2 cooler,then this might mean something.
That's right around the corner, along with flying cars and personal teleportation devices.

I consider this type of overclock, clock speed or synthetic benchmarks to be nothing but not-useful marketing... Real world tests tell the true tale.

Last edited:
You get it.

You might be surprised - at least where I am, LN2 is readily available and pretty cheap. And LN2 overclocking equipment is available from EK WB for reasonable prices. The only problem is that someone is required to pour the LN2 into the cooler as it evaporates, and to monitor condensation. It's really hard work and you can't use the computer at the same time.
Yes, I live in a city where supplies of stuff like that are likely relatively easy to obtain; however, my point was that for the average person, this is not all that practical - as you point out. LN2 requires some specialized knowledge to handle properly.

do you remember phase change coolers? I wonder what happened to those, they used to be really popular with the FX60 crowd back in the mid 2000's
I remember hearing about them. I cannot say that I have ever used one. https://ldcooling.com/shop/14-phase-change Apparently, they are still available from a few vendors. https://wccftech.com/icegiants-prosiphon-elite-cpu-cooler-tested/

Of all the cpus I have owned over the years, there is only one that I ever overclocked and only mildly.

I prefer my PCs to be reliable without having to fiddle with them - not that the science behind extreme cooling is not, pardon the pun, cool.

Back