Intel's Skull Canyon NUC now available to pre-order, ships in May

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel’s Skull Canyon NUC is now available to pre-order at a suggested retail price of $649.99. That may seem like a lot for a barebones PC but the Skull Canyon NUC packs a lot of performance in a small footprint.

The Skull Canyon NUC is powered by Intel’s sixth-generation Core i7-6770HQ processor which features four cores (eight threads) clocked at 2.6GHz (max Turbo up to 3.5GHz) with a TDP of 45 watts alongside Iris Pro Graphics 580.

The machine has provisions for up to 32GB of DDR4 memory as well as two M.2 slots for speedy flash-based solid state drives.

Elsewhere, you get dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, Gigabit Ethernet, an HDMI 2.0 port, a mini DisplayPort 1.2, a standard DisplayPort 1.2 (via USB Type-C), four total USB 3.0 ports (two additional USB 3.0 ports via internal headers) and a Thunderbolt 3 port. There’s even infrared capabilities should you want to connect the system to your television for media purposes although it'd be overkill to use the system exclusively in that manner.

As a barebones system, you’ll need to supply your own memory, storage and operating system. If you happen to be a hardcore gamer and decide on Windows 10, the Skull Canyon NUC could potentially be used with an external graphics enclosure like the Razer Core for some serious fragging. Granted, that's not the most cost-effective way to build a SFF gaming PC but the option does exist.

The Intel Skull Canyon NUC is set to arrive on May 12 at Newegg priced at $649.99.

Permalink to story.

Awesome, wish it wasn't so expensive but I want one. I love the skull Intel been using on it's products. Is a good representation of the good stuff. Beautiful. Be neat if these mini computers had a slot for a graphics alternative like Nvidia or Radeon. That would be big.

Back