Intermittent start up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an EMachine T-6538 that is experiencing intermittent startup problems. At times it will boot up OK - and next time I try to start it, absolutely nothing happens. No video, no nothing. The fans all work, the HD starts up and the keyboard lights go on, but no video. I first checked the system ram memory which can sometimes stop the video from coming on. I put in known good chips, same problem. I checked the cpu for possible overheating - OK there. Checked all the power cables, pulled them out and replugged them back in. Checked the video cable and the monitor on another machine and they were OK. When machine occasionally does start, everything is OK! In fact if I leave it run after a sucessfull start up, no problems at all, everything works OK. Got me stumped on this. I know that EMachines are noted for bad pwr supplies and mobo's but this just does not seem to fit in here. Any ideas folks?

Thx

video / graphics output

I interpretted that 'no video' is the symptom. You have indications that the power supply and hard drive are working, as well as, the monitor. Assuming there is room, consider subtituting an inexpensive video/graphics card. Consult your manual or the vendor's web site.

If it is enabled, it is possible that minidumps were created if Windows detected a problem with the video. If you achieve a usable system, this info can steer you to re-installing drivers over replacing hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back