Internet connection issues / firewall & virus software / firefox won't connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had this problem for a while now, and really would like to get it resolved! Basically I seem to have an issue with my internet connections. It seems like only Internet Explorer can connect to the internet even though my connection is fine. I first noticed it with firefox - I used to use firefox and then one day it gave me an "unable to connect" message. I'm pretty sure it happened after I updated Windows, but I could be wrong. I switched to IE and that worked fine. Then I tried to download the mac internet browser AND the new google chrome because I figured it was a problem with firefox, but it happened with both of those too! Firefox does not work even in safemode.

THEN I noticed it with updates. I couldn't update things like the flashplayer. It would say 'network error' and that it couldn't connect, and to check my connection. Same thing with updates with Windows Media player. I was able to get around this by turning the settings on IE down to medium, and unchecking the 'enable protected mode' box under tools/options/security. But this didn't help with any of the other programs.

I wanted to run the NBC HD program that lets you download HD shows, but it is giving me the same kind of error message to check my internet connection.

I figure this is a problem with some kind of security setting or firewall.

I am running: Vista. Regular Windows firewall. Symantec Virus Software. That's all I know about - except for this SafeConnect Client the university made me download but the problem started way before that.

This happens at home or at school so it's not my specific wireless connection.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem here is?? I would appreciate any help, it's really annoying... Thank you!

Hi,
I've now a similar problem. In parallel there was an infection with Vundo, which I've solved by applying the 8 steps process (published in techspot.com)
I've also no idea, what to do next and I tried a lot.
Did you get rid of your problem in the meanwhile?

suedschwede, please move to the Virus and Malware Removal Forum and follow the Steps here:
8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

When you have finished, attach the three logs as instructed to be reviewed.

Lisa, the 'unable to connect' can be a server problem. Did that happen every time you launched Firefox? When you tried to access a link from email? A link from a site?

I have noticed since the update to Firefox v3 that the 'server can't connect' message is coming up more that it ever use to. I don't know if this is a bug or not. I still use FF though. That is only intermittent, not continual.

You mentioned resetting to Medium. Setting any higher would keep you off many sites. Check your setting in Firefox. If you can access the internet on IE, then it's a setting problem in the browser, not the browser itself. I am doubtful that malware would allow you to use IE but not FF. If you want to check that out, please follow the directions I gave above for the malware removal site.

problem solved

Hi,
problem is solved.
Root cause: some remaining functionalities out of NORTON firewall, which I had on the comupter end of last year.
I read on TechSpot forum, that one could apply a software named NORTON remover, which was end the end of the day the path to solve my problem.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back