Internet connection sharing problem (help me plz!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have just set a lan at home.
both computers running xp pro.
1 computer (the host) is connected to the internet.
in the host computer network properties i set :
ip : 192.168.0.1
gateway:192.168.0.1

in the rempte computer :
ip:192.168.0.2
gateway: 192.168.0.1

i can transfer files which means the network is working and on the remote computer its showing that the gateway is workking (it says the internet is connected) but i cant use the internet (web sites dont show , i cant do any internet activity) on the remote!!

- Please use proper thread titles
Didou

Welcome to Techspot !
Exactly how are you connected to the internet?
Hi speed modem, Dial up?
How are your 2 servers connected?
I believe the first problem are the addresses you gave for the IP and Gateway being the same.

tnx for the welcome greet!

i have adsl on 1 computer and they are connected with a wire that connects 2 network cards. (each on every computer).simple connection, no router. the thing is it worked and suddenly stopped working.
i was told that when u dont use a router the default ip address for the host computer is 192.168.0.1 and to the remote computer its 192.168.0.2
now , since the host computer is connected to the internet , the gateway should have the same ip (that way the remote computer will try to find the internet from the host computer.).
whats driving me nuts is that its showing on both computers that the network is enabled and that the gateway (internet) is connected!
and i can transfer files between the 2 computers but the internet just doesnt get to the 2`nd computer! tnx for replying me btw!!!!!!!!!!

Your answer is not clear does the modem connect to computer 1 with a RJ 11 (same as a telephone terminal)?
Normally ADSL modems connect to the Computer with Cat 5 RJ 45 adapter (fatter like the NIC cards)to an ethernet card .
That same comp1 then has another NIC and it connects to Comp2 with a cat5 Crossover cable to the Ethernet on that Comp.
If you are running XP.Run network wizard on both computers Making sure you Have the Same workgroup name on both.
I hope this helps.

clearifacation

my modem connects to the first computer with usb connection.then the 2 computer are connected with a cable beteween two network cards.
i did run the wizard.this is a real problem when everything is set up and the lan is working only the internet is not.

There should be two icons in your Network connections folder.
The first will be that USB connection to the modem.It should have an IP address ,Subnet mask,etc from your service provider ( this will not be 192.168.0.1)
The other icon should be the ethernet card in the host computer.This should have a static IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0
The other computer should have one icon in the connection folder .This ethernet card should be set to get it addresses automaticalli ICS will do the rest ,It's address will be 192.168.0.2-254
The computers should be connected with a "crossover "cat 5 cable
The main computer has to be on for the other to get on the internet
They must have the same workgroup name
Turn off XP firewall at the 2nd computer
Confirm File and printer sharing and tcp/ip are checked on both systems.
If this is correct and still not working then you will have troubleshoot by using ping commands etc.
Good luck

yes

what u described is exactly whats going on .everything u said is happening and it shows as if the network is enabled and the gateway is connected but there is no internet connection. i would be happy to get instructions to continue dealing with the problem.
tnx .

You must get your IP service to confirm ;
the IP address of their servers along with your
Username
Password
Proper settings for Logging on ,SSL Authentifiction, etc.
I am surprised they don't offer direct telephone tech support for installation.
Anyway with these items I can help you get online.
P.S. were you given a software program from your IP service.

As for what i'm understanding here is...you are trying to use ICS? Correct?
ICS= internet connection sharing.

Have you enable this on the host pc? goes to the host LAN card and enable ICS...

For it to work, you need to enter DNS setting too.

hey ppl , i think i have something to say here
none of u mention the DNS , coz the netwrok will work corectly without giving the machines a dns server but accesing the webs need a dns so KCC , you can go in the second pc to the ip configuration and in ur case u can give a dns number as "192.168.0.1" and a name if needed then try again , an di think u will access the internet normaly :)

The second Network Adapter on your host machine (connected to the 2nd machine) should not have a Gateway specified. Remove the 192.168.0.1. Only the second machine needs to have that set as the Gateway.

i'm having the EXACT same issue- did you figure out the issue?

i've definitely got it all set up right. it was working just fine like 2 days ago, and then it suddenly stopped. ip addresses are fine, no conflicts, i can transfer files through file and printer sharing.

when i try loading a website it even connects, then gets stuck at transferring data. same thing while checking mail, it will say sending username pass, downloading message 1 of xx and then just stop there.

its like it connects but just stops.

have restarted both computers

my client PC pings successfully to any host, but gets no responses, so obviously data is getting "Stuck" somewhere.

pleeeease help?

i'd really like to get this fixed

i have th exact same problem. it worked fine but then all of a sudden it just didnt work. i can acsess all the computers on the network, but i can not acsses the internet. im using a belkin54g wireless network router/hub.

do u all have sp2 installed?? my internet/gateway/network used to run 100% (before sp2), changed to a linux server a few months ago...installed sp2 on all the xp machines (gateway worked 100% through a linux server). my linux server died and i swapped back to my xp server...and i have the same problem your talking about!! - i put a clean xp install on the server (original xp release, not even sp1) but i still got the problem...double checked wiring & settings...everything i can think of!!

i has to be something to do with sp2 on the client machine(s)?? i turned off xp firewall but still no joy...

i works only if i set the client machines ip set to dhcp

strange thing is if i specify ip i get full file & printer access NO internet, but if i set it to dhcp (without restarting) it works perfectlly with the same ip address!!

-im fresh out of ideas...(but putting the host machine to sp1 or before and client on dhcp is working for me)

hope it helps

I know this thread has been inactive for quite a while, but I once had the same exact problem between my laptop and desktop, they both could see each other and share files and printers, but when the laptop tried to access the Internet trough the dialup connection in the desktop, there was no response. In my case it turned out to be spyware infection in the laptop, once I cleaned those out, everything went back to normal without any change in settings or configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back