Internet Connection through Ethernet but not WiFi

I have spent the last 4 days trying to get my WiFi to connect to the Internet and am ready to throw the computer and all its additional equipment out of the window!

Amongst a collection of other laptops and a desktop, running different systems - Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 - I have an old Acer Aspire 3000, running Windows XP Pro SP3. I use it mainly for midi file work and as a host for Visual Studio 2005 which I keep for maintenance of some programs, written many years ago, but still in use by some of my friends and for which I require frequent searches on the Internet. Just recently, for no apparent reason, the WiFi on this laptop suddenly stopped working. I have been using an Edimax EW-7318Usg wireless adapter, which has never given any trouble in the past, to connect with my home network through a router/modem supplied by my ISP.

Since every other computer, iPhone, iPad and Kindle connects to the same network and works perfectly, I have to assume that there is no problem with that router. Also, the problem laptop connects perfectly via the ethernet cable. It just won't work on WiFi alone!

I have checked my wireless connections setup, including TCP/IP, and can find no problem devices in Device manager.

I have searched for solutions on the internet and tried everything I can find - I have scanned my hard disk with Panda Antivirus; have downloaded and run MalwareBytes; I have tried changing the router channel; I have tried setting the ipconfig values. Nothing makes any difference!

When I attach the wireless adapter there is usually a message telling me the connection has "limited or no internet access". At this point ipconfig /all shows the default values for the configuration.

If I try repairing the connection, I am told that the process cannot continue for one reason or another, though, on occasion, it connects when I close the message box. However, the adapter still shows "acquiring IP Address" and hangs there. Here ipconfig /all shows the correct configuration.

In both situations, the only ipaddress I can ping is the host PC - the problem one! Every other IP, whether in numerical form such as 192.168.1.1 (the router) or alphabetical form such as google.com, returns either a "timeout" or a "cannot find" message and, of course, I cannot connect to the internet.

I have tried clearing the ipconfig (I've forgotten the command!) and followed it with ipconfig /renew, but that won't work. I have repaired winsock using Microsoft's instructions and I have become "war-weary" trying to make sense of the whole thing.

I am trying not to have to re-install Windows XP and the associated updating of all programs, so as a last resort, I tried (probably unsuccessfully) to uninstall Edimax. In the end, after using Add and Remove to clear as much as possible, I just deleted the complete folder from Program Files. Then I installed the software for an old Belkin Wireless USB Adapter which I had lying around and tried it. The outcome was exactly the same! The Belkin software has one advantage however - it allows the user to opt to control the adapter through Windows, though I still could not make it work. I just don't know enough to solve this one.

Any ideas, anyone?

BarrieC

St1ckM4n

Reactions: St1ckM4n

Cobalt006

Have you tried using another adapter? Or tried using the adapter on another computer? Just to rule out if the adapter is bad.

jobeard

A common mistake is to allow the wired connection to still be active while attempting to make/use a WiFi connection - - use one/other but never both at the same tile.

jobeard

However, the adapter still shows "acquiring IP Address" and hangs there. Here ipconfig /all shows the correct configuration.
Sure sign that the request to DHCP is failing.

In both situations, the only ipaddress I can ping is the host PC - the problem one! Every other IP, whether in numerical form such as 192.168.1.1 (the router) or alphabetical form such as google.com, returns either a "timeout" or a "cannot find" message and, of course, I cannot connect to the internet.
With the "limited access" condition, your PCs ip-address will be 169.x.y.z and there is no path to the 192.168.1.x network - - ergo the "cannot find" result.

"Belkin Wireless USB Adapter" - - personally, I dislike this choice as now you have two devices & drivers in the network path ( PC->Usb->Tcp==> router et al).

ipconfig /release & /renew
will never work until the "limited access" issue is solved, as while the /release deletes the config, the /renew just reruns the initial DHCP request and you're going in circles.

"Panda Antivirus" Have you tried disabling it? Do you have any others? What A/V, adware, firewall programs are installed?

>> WHAT did you last install just before these symptoms started? <<

jobeard

Get into an Admin login and get a command prompt
  • [SIZE=4][FONT=Tahoma]type: ipconfig /flushdns[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][FONT=Tahoma]type: nbtstat -R[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][FONT=Tahoma]type: netsh int reset all[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][FONT=Tahoma]type: netsh int ip reset[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][FONT=Tahoma]type: netsh winsock reset[/FONT][/SIZE]

Hello - pretty new to specifics on computers, etc. Recently purchased HP laptop - have you tried using the "HP Connection Wizard" ?? Might be something to check out as well.
Regards - Craig

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Phew! I'm surprised at the number of responses so far. My thanks to all of you. I'll try to answer them all as best I can with my limited knowledge.

First, in response to Cobalt006, I started out with the Edimax wireless adapter as I explained, but when I couldn't get a wireless connection, I thought that the problem might be the adapter so, in desperation, I attempted to uninstall the software and replace it with the Belkin, which I happened to have lying around from a previous installation. It is still in situ but unfortunately, it still doesn't connect me to the internet. As for trying it on a different computer, all of my other laptops have built-in wireless adapters and, in view of my present problems, I don't want to tempt fate with any of them. I use my desktop, which doesn't have a built-in wireless adapter, as a sort of hub for my home network and it uses a permanent wired connection.

Second, in response to jobeard, I was aware of your advice about not connecting both Ethernet and WiFi at the same time, having come across the same advice on another thread, and I have been careful not to try using both simultaneously. However, I have not yet tried disabling Panda Antivirus as a whole. I have tried disabling its Firewall (even though its setting looked OK to me) but that made no difference, so I concluded that wasn't the problem. The only other application which may have a bearing on it is the Malwarebytes program which I downloaded after the connection problem reared its ugly head in an attempt to remove possible malware which I was led to believe may have been responsible for the disfunctional adapter. I don't know whether or not it can be disabled but I can always uninstall it if necessary! Lastly, I'm using the problem laptop at present (with a wired connection) to correspond with you and as soon as I finish, I'll try the commands you've suggested (with a wireless connection) and I'll let you know what happens.

Thirdly, in response to Craig C, thanks, but as this is not a HP computer (my desktop is!) I don't have direct access to the HP Connection Wizard.

Regards to all
BarrieC

Here we are again. Still no joy.
I entered the commands as jobeard suggested: -
  • [SIZE=4]type: ipconfig /flushdns[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]type: nbtstat -R[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]type: netsh int reset all[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]type: netsh int ip reset[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]type: netsh winsock reset[/SIZE]
Two of them (nbstat -R and netsh int ip reset) produced errors along the lines:
nbstat - no such command and
netsh int ip reset - wrong parameters.

However, after a restart the notification area wireless connection icon after first reporting "Limited or no connectivity" fairly quickly became "Connected". This was new!
I then went back to the command prompt and ran ipconfig /all which produced the following:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : acer-laptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-E5-C0-C5

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 12:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G Plus USB Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-DF-B0-4E-A8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 11 September 2013 15:47:58
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 12 September 2013 15:47:58

Encouraged by the fact that the addresses appeared to be what I was looking for, I tried ping 192.168.1.1 which resulted in the now familiar "Request timed out" x 4 (100% loss).
With any luck, this just might give a clue as to what's going on. It certainly is beyond me.

BarrieC

Thanks again jobeard! Here is the route print output:
===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 c0 9f e5 c0 c5 ...... SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
0x30004 ...00 1c df b0 4e a8 ...... Belkin Wireless G Plus USB Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.3 25
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3 25
192.168.1.3 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
192.168.1.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3 25
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3 25
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.3 2 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3 1
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Persistent Routes:
None

Hope this helps. It means nothing to me!

BarrieC

jobeard

Code:
Active Routes:

Network Destination		Netmask		Gateway	Interface Metric
		0.0.0.0		0.0.0.0	192.168.1.1	192.168.1.3 25  << the default route and correct
		127.0.0.0		255.0.0.0		127.0.0.1	127.0.0.1 1
	192.168.1.0	255.255.255.0	192.168.1.3	192.168.1.3 25  << the local lan routing
	192.168.1.3 255.255.255.255		127.0.0.1	127.0.0.1 25	<< THIS IS THE ISSUE
	192.168.1.255 255.255.255.255	192.168.1.3	192.168.1.3 25  << the broadcast
		224.0.0.0		240.0.0.0	192.168.1.3	192.168.1.3 25
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255	192.168.1.3			2 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255	192.168.1.3	192.168.1.3 1
Default Gateway:	192.168.1.1
this line
  • 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
sends everything to the local loopback address and not to the default gateway - -
not only will ping fail, but all else does also (you knew that, but now you know WHY).

Some Antivirus programs will do this and create a tcp path like this
  • nic-->loopback-->a/v system --> default gateway address
Uninstall your Antivirus program, reboot and ping 8.8.8.8
If that runs correctly, download and install a new A/V product.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I had some personal business to attend to.

I followed your instructions - uninstalled Panda Antivirus, rebooted, tried ping 8.8.8.8, success!
Since I have had previous problems some years ago with Panda, I decided not to re-install that A/V but to install Norton A/V which I have been using on some of my other computers. This PC is now working perfectly on a wireless connection - internet access no problem!

I don't know how to express my gratitude. I envy you your know-how. Had I been left to my own devices I would have had to take the problem to the grave! Many, many thanks. You've been a life saver!

BarrieC

jobeard

Just Great - - pleased it all worked out for you.

I might suggest Avast! over Norton as the latter is known to be bloated. Then again however, Avast! is slow to initialize at boot time - - takes ~45-60 seconds to get configured and load new virus signatures.

PURELY a user choice :)

jobeard

Btw - for those following this thread:

As the NIC finally got configured correctly in post #8, I was suspicious of another active interface being the default gateway, which lead to the request for the ROUTE PRINT.

With a good tcp configuration the options started to be narrowed down to:
  1. a manual LAN config on the NIC
  2. a manual LAN config from the router with no WAN side access
  3. something blocking the traffic (aka malware or a bad firewall)
  4. or this case, a bad route (many variations thereof).
It was a pure guess that the AV might create the NiC -> Loopback routing and we hit gold on the first attempt :)

jobeard

Hi guys, I'm also facing same problem that I can connect through Ethernet but not through WiFi. Can anyone Please help me?
Start a new topic for yourself and provide
  • System info {xp,vista,win7,win8} version{home,pro} SP level
  • Internet Connection info
    • Cable, DSL, ISP you are using
    • Modem/Router make+model
  • attach output of IPCONFIG /All >myWired.txt for your wired connection
  • Verify that you have no red or yellow markers when
    • run cmd and enter devmgmt.msc and [+] expand Network Adapters
  • disconnect the wired and attempt a WiFi connection
    • and run IPCONFIG /All >myWIFI.txt and attach that content
Yea, I know that's a lot, but if you expect results, we will need this one way or another ..
In your new topic cite me thusly @jobeard and I'll get right to it.

Last edited: