Internet Disconnects but Reconnects on Restart

I've been having this problem for the past 3-4 weeks now. I had an old Zyxel router that my broadband provider had given me for free and thought the problem might have been with it. Today I got a new router, an ASUS DSL-N55U and the problem persists.

My internet connection will disconnect (both cable and wireless for all devices) for seemingly no reason. Upon restarting the router, it will connect and be fine for a while until it happens again. Sometimes it stays online a few hours, other times a few minutes. It doesn't seem to be a specific application that disconnects it, as it disconnects when using many different applications and devices. (Although the old router did disconnect when refreshing game server lists, as it flooded the router. The new router doesn't seem to have this problem)

It's been bugging me like crazy, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Did your Isp .Run a line check for you. I had this problem about a year ago. Turned out it was my line coming in the house. another thing you can try is uninstalling you av protection. Long enough to see if this makes a differance. I have seen AV software cause problems like this also. That is about all I can think of. I am sure someone else here will be able to assist you to.

Thanks Cobalt, I'll get my ISP to run a line check tomorrow. I'll also try removing my AV software too.

I tried doing ipconfig /flushdns and it seems to restart the connection, although I need to open a new window of mozilla firefox, just opening a new tab doesn't work. Seems weird.

Access the router config and force the MTU to be 1492; This stops tcp packet fragmentation where if that occurs, there are two possible issues that can arise; reassembly stack overflow and the disconnect OR virus infection and a takeover of the router.

Back