"Internet Gateway" appeared all of a sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnWarierMage224

Hi folks,

As the title of this post says, all of a sudden it seems that under my "Network Connections", a connection known as "Internet Gateway" has popped up all of a sudden... I can still connect to the internet using my WiFi connection, as I have both a WiFi connection and hardwire network available. However, before this point I was able to connect to the internet through my ethernet connection without the use of this "internet gateway". Is there any way to revert back to that, or am I stuck?

-'Mage

Use View Network Connections and notice which devices are connected.
Then compare that with your current network setup; eg are you wired and still
connecting via the WiFi. You write as if your normal connection is WiFi.

If your wired, then the WiFi is redundant and you could just disconnect, but this
setup is unlikely.

The normal situation would be to see
1394 Connection (which is Firewire)
Local Area Connection (which is wired ethernet)
Wireless Network Connection (the WiFi)

and only one of them with a Connected Status.

That's give you added features you can use for services for Virutal LAN and VPN access. You must have turned on something in the Router for this to appear on you systems. I use VPN it started to show up. It won't hurt. Here you can see your WAN connection to that internet, speed and etc. You can add ports for TCP and UDP here also. If you open turn on the show icon to see what's going on..

Ok...

But this "internet connection gateway" thing appears only when I'm connected to the internet, either via ethernet or wireless... I find it odd because I used to connect to the internet, via both connections, without this gateway...

Well there is a way to shut it down, do you want that, but I mean the icon only? It shouldn't bother you that is there. I have it running on a desktop. Are you having problems or just the the icon bothers you?

by "icon", do you mean the taskbar indicator? If so, I can turn that off no problem. What I'm referring to is the icon that appears in the "Network Connections" window under "Internet Gateway" - it disappears whenever I'm disconnected and appears whenever I'm connected via ethernet or wireless. If it's nothing to worry about, then I guess I'll just ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back