Internet sharing - How easy is it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfersaiyan

hi guys..

i just wanna know how easy is it to share my internet connection with a friend who's staying? i have tried before without much luck.. and i'm not a dummy by any means (please dont asnwer that part!)

i have a cable modem with only one output, which goes to my laptop.

so we wanna use both laptops online at the same time.

i have a wireless card in the pcmcia slot and wonder if we can use that to share my connection. ( also have internal wireless - Atheros something or other).

wireless cards talk to wireless access points (i assume you use yours for cafes, etc)

Best to just buy a basic, cheap router to share the connection.

Your best bet is to wire your comp to the modem, then share your wireless connection. Should be in Network Connections, then right click on it and share (I don't have a wireless xp (or vista) machine right now to tell you exactly). You'll need to make that wireless connection serve as an access point. Maybe someone with direct knowledge will post to help, but you should be able to google it now knowing you need to have your wireless on your laptop serving as an access point.

Edit - Appears you need to turn on Windows ICS for the wired connection. Then create an ad-hoc wireless network.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back