iOS 13.5 causing boot loops, battery issues, and MP4/MPEG-4 problems for some users

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: We’re so used to hearing about Windows 10 updates causing problems that they’ve become expected, but Microsoft isn’t the only firm whose latest OS iteration can bork systems. Apple’s iOS 13.5 has also been annoying users with its unintended effects.

iOS 13.5 brings several updates to Apple’s operating system, including contact-tracing API, changes to Face ID unlock, and Group FaceTime calls. But, as is often the case with OS updates, it’s causing issues for some who install it.

Many who upgraded have been flooding Twitter with complaints about iOS 13.5 causing fast battery-drain, but the biggest problem appears to affect the iPad Pro, which suffers from boot loops. AppleInsider writes that the 10.5-inch tablet is most commonly affected, with reboots occurring “between 30 seconds and 45 seconds after logging in.” It’s also been reported by those with 11-inch iPad Pros.

Reports say that even factory resets might not fix the rebooting, neither is putting the iPads into DFU mode. The same issue is also said to be affecting iPhones, spanning both iPadOS / iOS 13.4.1 and 13.5.

Forbes reports that some iPad and iPhone owners have found media playback of the MP4/MPEG-4 format is broken following the update. “Impacted users have lost access to their video libraries (1,2,3,4,5 etc) with native apps and third party apps like NPlayer and InFuse,” writes the publication.

Apple hasn’t said when it intends to fix the issues but following the publication of a tool that’s capable of jailbreaking all version of iOS from 11 to 13.5, Cupertino is likely hard at work on an update.

Permalink to story.

Seems to be such common place I think a name change is in order. How about

CrApple ?

Oh yeah! Even Apple can't get it right and they control the whole damn system from top to bottom, left to right, and everything in between. What does that say about Microsoft?

And this isn't the only example of Apple really screwing up. Oh, but you never hear about that because it's always Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft. Let me clue you in dude, anti-Microsoft articles bring the clicks so of course more of them will be written.

If Apple can't get it right and they have ultimate control, how does anyone expect Microsoft where they have very little control over what hardware is in a given system.

Last edited:
Well, they've already released 13.5.1... wonder if that fixes anything? I DO know it "fixes" the jailbreaking issue... so don't update if you plan on doing that...

I own an iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone X, 2 iPad Airs and an iPad Pro 12" (2020) and all are running 13.5 perfectly fine... so I'm either really lucky, or the % is a fairly small one...

Sorry, no problems to report. Doesn't it make you wonder where these "problems" originate? I have seen so many posts about some calamity or other, and I never, ever have them, nor can I duplicate where there is the chance to do so. perhaps battery life issues are apps that are running in background?

Back